Author Topic: Java:Jade-A[Heur] and Java:Jade-C[Heur]  (Read 6732 times)

gus30

Java:Jade-A[Heur] and Java:Jade-C[Heur]
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
I recently bought Avast! for my MacBook Pro and completed a scan of the Macintosh HD. I found 11 warnings and 2 virus-infected files. The two files were infected by the two viruses called Java:Jade-A[Heur] and Java:Jade-C[Heur] :

Users/ my username /Library/Caches/Java/cache/6.0/19/66c54313-3408cc17 was infected with Java:Jade-A[Heur], while

Users/ my username /Library/Caches/Java/cache/6.0/52/59ec2974-3d483594 was infected with Java:Jade-C[Heur]

I've tried to read some forum support threads about the potential viruses, following the action of putting the files into my Virus Chest. I read something about the vulnerability of having an older version of Java - so i tried to search for updates, and surprisingly i found out that I've missed a software update for my Mac (it is installed now). Following these actions, I chose to mail the files to Avast through the Virus Chest. In a following scan of the Macintosh HD i discovered no Viruses and the same amount of warnings.

the two file names are:

c.class = Java:Jade-A[Heur]

vload.class = Java:Jade-C[Heur]

My Question is:

What should I do now? Have I done the right things? and how can I scan the files in my Virus Chest? (I can only choose between "Move Back", "Delete" and "Mail Avast" in the Mac Edition)

PS I'm not sure what to do with the warnings - a friend of mine told me to let them be, since they could be harmless to the computer. What is your recommendation?

I've also made a ticked for the Support Center, but no answer as of now

Regards
gus30
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:35:19 PM by gus30 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Java:Jade-A[Heur] and Java:Jade-C[Heur]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »
You have done the right thing, 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate as you have.

In this case there is little problem as actually deleting the contents of the JAVA cache shouldn't be an issue. However I would suggest that you send these files for further analysis by avast as possible false positives as they are [Heur]istic detections.

Open the avast Chest, avastUI, Maintenance, Avast Chest, Right click on the file/s and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.

Periodically check it (scan it in the chest), if it is no longer detected then you can assume it was an FP. It is is detected after a couple of weeks you can assume it was a good detection and delete it from the Chest.

- Next I would ensure that you have the latest JAVA version as that is essential. I would also suggest a visit to this site, which scans your system for out of date programs that have patches to close vulnerabilities, http://secunia.com/software_inspector/.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gus30

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
I'm not sure how I send the files to the virus lab. If I remember correctly, the Mac Edition is somewhat different from the Windows Edition. When I open my Virus chest I can only choose between "Mail to Avast", "Delete" or "Move Back" - and I can not seem to press right-click on the files in the virus chest or choose to scan them (within the chest). I may be missing something, and if I do, I apology   :-[

Regards
gus30

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
Sorry I wasn't aware you were using the Linux/Mac version (the instructions related to the windows version of avast), so mail to avast would be the option to submit it to the virus labs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gus30

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
Do you know how to scan the Virus Chest in the Linux/Mac version?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »
Sorry I don't, if you can open the chest and select a file, I presume there would be a means of scanning either from a right click or menu option.

gus30

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:11:40 AM »
No problem  ;) I will try to find a way. Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate your time!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »
You're welcome.

You might try asking in the avast! 4 for Linux/Unix/Mac forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
I recently bought Avast! for my MacBook Pro and completed a scan of the Macintosh HD. I found 11 warnings and 2 virus-infected files. The two files were infected by the two viruses called Java:Jade-A[Heur] and Java:Jade-C[Heur] :

Users/ my username /Library/Caches/Java/cache/6.0/19/66c54313-3408cc17 was infected with Java:Jade-A[Heur], while

Users/ my username /Library/Caches/Java/cache/6.0/52/59ec2974-3d483594 was infected with Java:Jade-C[Heur]

I've tried to read some forum support threads about the potential viruses, following the action of putting the files into my Virus Chest. I read something about the vulnerability of having an older version of Java - so i tried to search for updates, and surprisingly i found out that I've missed a software update for my Mac (it is installed now). Following these actions, I chose to mail the files to Avast through the Virus Chest. In a following scan of the Macintosh HD i discovered no Viruses and the same amount of warnings.

the two file names are:

c.class = Java:Jade-A[Heur]

vload.class = Java:Jade-C[Heur]

My Question is:

What should I do now? Have I done the right things? and how can I scan the files in my Virus Chest? (I can only choose between "Move Back", "Delete" and "Mail Avast" in the Mac Edition)

PS I'm not sure what to do with the warnings - a friend of mine told me to let them be, since they could be harmless to the computer. What is your recommendation?

I've also made a ticked for the Support Center, but no answer as of now

Regards
gus30

Hallo,
newer version have human readable forms of those arnings (and with optional supression, manageable from Preferences.) That's because many users were unsure what does all this mean, but in the fact, it's just generic warning about some infection unrelated thing (file accessibility, protection, etc.). Chesting's purpose is to place the file outside original location, and, to scrable its content (to be not detected as malware anymore - that's why it doesn't make good sense to scan the content of the chest). So you did the right thing - chesting 2 viruses, neglecting warnings.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)