Author Topic: WebRep causes iGoogle problem in FireFox 4  (Read 9397 times)

MikeRepairs

WebRep causes iGoogle problem in FireFox 4
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
When WebRep is enabled in FF, it causes iGoogle home page to break.  
Most gadget windows don't load any content.  
Disable WebRep and it works just fine.

http://www.google.com/ig#t_0

Avast Free 6.0.1000
Def 110407-1
Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:37:01 PM by MikeRepairs »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WebRep causes iGoogle problem in FireFox 4
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »
Are you using the optimize google add-on ?

If so there would appear to be a conflict between the avast WebRep and that add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MikeRepairs

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:29:36 AM »
No, I have never used the optimize google add-on.
This problem must not be related to that.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »
can't answer... not using webrep, but I've seen - very quickly - that the issue has been reported by other users on the forums. There must actually be a conflict between webrep and the widgets.

Offline Treegrub

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:58 AM »
I'm having the same problem too and so is my sister, I've disable the Webrep and igoogle works fine now. I hope they sort it out with an update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:14:52 AM »
Well it was working not so long ago I know I managed to get it to work.

But not it is somewhat strange as I don't get anything at all a virtually blank page, yet at the top of the page I see my name so it is recognising me. So this appears to be something new.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SDragon029

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
From what I can tell the igoogle gadgets only have an issue when webrep is enabled when in Firefox. I have also tried logging in on my account in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer both having webrep enabled and everything worked fine and dandy. As in the gadgets showed up and everything. So it has to be a compatibility issue between Firefox and webrep not the igoogle gadgets themselves.

Just thought I would put that 2 cents worth of information out there for the people who were thinking it was their Google gadgets that were the issue.

Cheers and hopefully it's solved soon.

doubledoom

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
Just a me too to the problem.

Started 26th May late afternoon GMT.  Not 110527-0 that just arrived but before that (could be one before or a couple before depending on timing).   

wilebill

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Same problem here. Only with Firefox and WebRep. Whoever needs to patch, hope they do it soon.

grahamft

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
I also have had this problem for the past couple of days.  I am on Firefox 4.0.1.  I also have tried iGoogle with Google Chrome and IE and both work just fine.  I noticed that others were reporting that disabling WebRep (reports version 20110101) resolved the problem and tried this.  It does indeed.  Now running without WebRep enabled until Avast! comes up with a resolution.  :'(

grahamft

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
Just noticed that this problem also disables the "Change Theme..." link.

Offline dougjp

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
I have this problem too and wait for Avast to fix whatever was introduced in an update that created this new problem. In other words, with WebRep active there was no problem with iGoogle before the past few days. And there is still no problem with iGoogle using other browsers.

I like WebRep and hopefully someone will post here when they notice iGoogle works with WebRep enabled. As an aside, in the past I've had multiple periodic browser problems with a similar type of service, McAfee Site Advisor, which I uninstalled a long time ago.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:38:45 PM by dougjp »

osuseman

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:03 AM »
Just noticed that this problem also disables the "Change Theme..." link.

I can confirm this as it has caused 2 separate PC's in this household to feature same problem with WebREP and iGoogle.  Basically iGoogle becomes totally disabled. It is only when WEBRep is enabled.  I have it occurring on one PC running Windows XP as OS (32 bit) and the other PC is running Linux (64bit) but then running XP in VMWare Player (32bit).  I have tried disabling each and every other Extension/Add-On and no issues but add WEBRep and it takes a dive.

Regards.. Phil

gideond

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
Same problem here. I've tried a fresh install of Firefox and Avast on a test machine and there are no add-ons except the WebRep add-on. It causes the problem as soon as it's enabled.

Until it is fixed I'd recommend that everyone install the WOT plugin for Firefox. It basically does the same thing as WebRep.

dgitlin

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »
I have the same problem. I installed WebRep with the latest Avast update and all of a sudden, nothing showed on my google/ig home page. I uninstalled WebRep and got my home page back. When I restarted my computer this morning, WebRep had reinstalled itself and I had no home page. I uninstalled it again and noticed a box at the bottom that says "Automatically detect new browser installations" I cleared the check and now the plug-in doesn't install. Is there any way to report a bug to Avast?