Author Topic: Global action settings?  (Read 4385 times)

bizzybody

Global action settings?
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:09:18 AM »
Is there a way in Avast 6 to set a default action for a program no matter where it's launched from? For example I have folders for Autopatcher for each version of Windows and whenever I run the updater Avast pops up asking if I want to open normally or in a sandbox.

I want to be able to tell it normally ALWAYS EVERYWHERE. Stop asking me!

Offline DraKuL

Re: Global action settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:18:09 AM »
Is there a way in Avast 6 to set a default action for a program no matter where it's launched from? For example I have folders for Autopatcher for each version of Windows and whenever I run the updater Avast pops up asking if I want to open normally or in a sandbox.

I want to be able to tell it normally ALWAYS EVERYWHERE. Stop asking me!

When you see the popup, select "open normally" from the drop down, and tick "remember my answer for this program". You wont see the popup for that program again.

Cheers!
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:27:15 AM »
What do you mean by wherever it is launched from, different folders or different drives ?

If it is called from different locations but the program in in a single location that shouldn't be an issue. If it is in different locations, e.g. drives, then follow tha above and then you can edit the avastUI, Additional Protection, AutoSandBox, Files that will be excluded and change the drive letter to a ? question mark (wildcard for a single character), e.g. change E:\Downloads\irfanview_plugins_428_setup.exe to ?:\Downloads\irfanview_plugins_428_setup.exe. This mask would be good for all drives with that executable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bizzybody

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »

When you see the popup, select "open normally" from the drop down, and tick "remember my answer for this program". You wont see the popup for that program again.

Cheers!

That doesn't do it, not when it's on a USB stick that changes drive letter depending on what others are already connected when it's plugged in. Same deal when the same programs are copied in different folders.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:30 AM »

That doesn't do it, not when it's on a USB stick that changes drive letter depending on what others are already connected when it's plugged in. Same deal when the same programs are copied in different folders.

Then do what DavidR said.. If its the same program in different locations that should fix the issue you're having.
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

bizzybody

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
What do you mean by wherever it is launched from, different folders or different drives ?

If it is called from different locations but the program in in a single location that shouldn't be an issue. If it is in different locations, e.g. drives, then follow tha above and then you can edit the avastUI, Additional Protection, AutoSandBox, Files that will be excluded and change the drive letter to a ? question mark (wildcard for a single character), e.g. change E:\Downloads\irfanview_plugins_428_setup.exe to ?:\Downloads\irfanview_plugins_428_setup.exe. This mask would be good for all drives with that executable.

It'd be far simpler if it had a checkbox for that and stored an MD5 hash for it so if another program with the same name is launched it'd ask about how to run it.

Global exceptions based solely on file name reduce security. Using the file name and another identifier like the file size or MD5 hash would prevent inadvertent execution of malware masquerading as a good program.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »

Global exceptions based solely on file name reduce security. Using the file name and another identifier like the file size or MD5 hash would prevent inadvertent execution of malware masquerading as a good program.

That's something to think about, true. Not a bad idea in my opinion.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

BTCentral

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
There are of course disadvantages to that method too though - in that if it's a large file the MD5 hash can take a while to be calculated.

Personally, I would not want the AutoSandbox checking the MD5 hash of every single program that tried to open - considering the slowdown it is likely to cause.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:37:43 PM by BTCentral »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Better than is not adding the exclusion...
MD5 check is an intensive resource action. You'll degrade performance (at least with that particular executable).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »

It'd be far simpler if it had a checkbox for that and stored an MD5 hash for it so if another program with the same name is launched it'd ask about how to run it.

You asked for a way to exclude from the sandbox and that is what I gave you. As an avast user like yourself I have no input in how avast implement the sandbox exclusions, e.g. not running it in the sandbox.

However, don't forget that this is only excluding running this file in the sandbox, it doesn't exclude it from being scanned at all in the first instance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security