Author Topic: how to remove WebRep symbol in Firefox icon taskbar?  (Read 11589 times)

Offline cska133

how to remove WebRep symbol in Firefox icon taskbar?
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
I installed Webrep and it is shown in Firefox icon taskbar, where sybols for Bookmarks, History or different symbols are.
You can adjust which symbols you would like to be shown there and to remove these you dont like. So I removed it from the icon taskbar, but after new start of Firefox the Webrep symbol is there again.

is it not possible to have the Webrep symbol not displayed?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: how to remove WebRep symbol in Firefox icon taskbar?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »

Well, if it isn't displayed, you can neither vote nor look at the results.
So what's your point here...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
If you dont want Webrep at all, you can remove it from the interface under Additional protection>Firefox>uninstall.

Offline cska133

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
I want it, so I dont want to disable it. But I need it when I do a search and see how the URL is rated. If there is no rating than I can vote for the URL, but than I will find the Webrep option to vote.
So  thing it should be possible to just not display the Webrep sign...

BTW what make sense to see if the URL is green or red rated AFTER I have opened it. It is already done, and if this URL contains bad staff it is already to late. SO I think it makes sense to see the rating BEFORE the URL is being opened.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
I want it, so I dont want to disable it. But I need it when I do a search and see how the URL is rated. If there is no rating than I can vote for the URL, but than I will find the Webrep option to vote.
So  thing it should be possible to just not display the Webrep sign...

BTW what make sense to see if the URL is green or red rated AFTER I have opened it. It is already done, and if this URL contains bad staff it is already to late. SO I think it makes sense to see the rating BEFORE the URL is being opened.

Du solltest wirklich besser in deiner Muttersprache schreiben. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline cska133

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
naja, das ist jetzt nicht relevant in welcher stpache, wer will wird mich verstehen. Und jeder hier spricht Deutsch, bzw. vielleicht saehr wenige, ist ja ein eng. Forum

The point is that removing the Webrep sign from the icon taskbar doesnt make you less secure. So there should be an option to decide weather you would like to have it displayed on the taskbar or not.

BTCentral

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
I installed Webrep and it is shown in Firefox icon taskbar, where sybols for Bookmarks, History or different symbols are.
You can adjust which symbols you would like to be shown there and to remove these you dont like. So I removed it from the icon taskbar, but after new start of Firefox the Webrep symbol is there again.

So you want it to be shown on the webpages, but not in the browser bar? e.g. here:

That's simple, right click on the webrep icon in your browser bar, click Customise...

A new box will appear, click and drag the avast WebRep addon into the box and then click Done:

To add it back again, do the opposite.
Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:46:31 PM by BTCentral »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
WebRep is based on popular opinion and "not" on security. And, simply put, you either have or don't have it. It's your choice. I'm thinking...if it's not doing any harm...it's not a problem. It just sits there.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline cska133

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:47:57 AM »

So you want it to be shown on the webpages, but not in the browser bar? e.g. here:

That's simple, right click on the webrep icon in your browser bar, click Customise...

A new box will appear, click and drag the avast WebRep addon into the box and then click Done:

To add it back again, do the opposite.
Hope this helps. :)

And exactly this is not working, maybe I was not clear enough in my first post. After removing it from the browser bar as you supposed and then restarting Firefox, the Webrep appears again in the browser bar.
Can you confirm this ?

It just sits there.
well, thinking like this should make your browser bar full with different symbols, and if you dont use some of then, thenno sense of this. And soon your browser bar will have no place for symbols you really need to be there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:52:52 AM by cska133 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 02:08:47 AM »
Well here is my best guess:
I don't know if removing it from the toolbar using the customise function will work as the webrep relies on the icon being there to allow people to vote for sites. You can't vote for sites from the google results page, that just shows the current vote status for that site.

So essentially it is going to be replaced as there are also no options in the avast webrep add-on. Were many add-ons have settings were you can choose to display the icon or not, etc. but for those add-ons the icon isn't essential for the functioning of the tool itself.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BTCentral

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 02:29:14 AM »

And exactly this is not working, maybe I was not clear enough in my first post. After removing it from the browser bar as you supposed and then restarting Firefox, the Webrep appears again in the browser bar.
Can you confirm this ?
I do apologise, I misunderstood your initial post. You are correct, after restarting FireFox it does indeed get re-added.

I have managed to come up with a work-around for you though :)

Right click on the WebRep symbol, there is an option called "Add-on bar", check it you should see a small bar appear at the bottom of the browser.

Right click on the WebRep symbol again, and click Customise... this time, instead of dragging it into the box, drag it on to the add-on bar and click Done.

Now when you restart the browser, you will find it stays there.

The good news is, you can right click the bar, and untick "Add-on bar" to hide the bar, and the WebRep icon stays hidden, and if you tick the Add-on bar again, the WebRep icon is shown again.

Offline cska133

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »
well, this sounds cool, thanks BTCentral .
I am not at home now, so cant check this, but tomorrow and will post back.
Of course earlier today I also right clicked on the Webrep icon searching for something like this but obviously I havent seen it *ups*.

I don't know if removing it from the toolbar using the customise function will work as the webrep relies on the icon being there to allow people to vote for sites. You can't vote for sites from the google results page, that just shows the current vote status for that site.

So essentially it is going to be replaced as there are also no options in the avast webrep add-on. Were many add-ons have settings were you can choose to display the icon or not, etc. but for those add-ons the icon isn't essential for the functioning of the tool itself.
essential or not , using Firefox customizing function doesnt work for Webrep icon and this "bug-like". And the sense of this voting is not to vote till the end of the world but ALSO to get informations about bad sites while searching in the web (by using the ratings). And for those poeple who dont surf tooooo much in internet is it more essential the get this information instead of voting (please notice: I dont deny the importness of the Webrep voting).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 03:44:16 AM »
Yes, Firefox has changed the name of what was/is (in my mind) the old status bar and now calls it the add-on bar, somewhat different to the other tool bars. The avast webrep icon can be moved to other (tool/add-on bar) locations using the customisation function.

I can confirm the moving it to the add-on bar works and if you hide the add-on bar it still works with google searches, etc.

So hiding the add-on bars as opposed to trying to remove the webrep icon serves your purpose of not seeing the avast icon if you have dragged it to the status a.k.a. add-on bar, but you don't get it on selected pages.

However, this does depend if you use the add-on bar and don't want to hide it, but the webrep icon on the add-on bar is much smaller and much less obtrusive if you have other icons in the status/add-on bar.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Fruity1

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 03:54:35 AM »
Thank you.