Author Topic: Win32:Crypt-JAC "Indiana_Jones_GameExplorerHelper.dll"  (Read 3406 times)

ssv

Win32:Crypt-JAC "Indiana_Jones_GameExplorerHelper.dll"
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
Can anyone tell me whether it is an false alarm? (or how I can find it out by myself) I'm not too good with computers. :'D

Avast told me about two hours ago that my computer had a trojan.
Avast says that the trojan is file called "Indiana_Jones_GameExplorerHelper.dll" which is a file for LEGO Indiana Jones game.
Virus type is "Win32:Crypt-JAC."
Virus-identification files were updated today. (110410-0)

I tried to move the file in the quarantine, but I couldn't since avast didn't have rights to do so. (??)
I'm thinking about removing it if I can, but I wanted to know if somebody else had the same situation.
I have a quite strong feeling it is an false alarm again, as every "virus" on my computer has been, but you can never be too sure.  ::)

I have Avast! 4.8 Home Edition & Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:50:06 PM by ssv »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Win32:Crypt-JAC "Indiana_Jones_GameExplorerHelper.dll"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Hi ssv,

Could have been the packer led to this dll being flagged, because it also comes in a password stealer. Most instances of the software are free of malware, see: http://spywaredlls.prevx.com/RRDIID44704968/INDIANA_JONES_GAMEEXPLORERHELPER.DLL.html
The most common objects with the name of INDIANA_JONES_GAMEEXPLORERHELPER.DLL have yet to be classified as safe by our research department.
About this algorithm / compression used there see this forum, and what the author of the 11th posting there, Chrox, has to say, re: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3433&start=90 (see attached example taken from this source, given by Chrox)
Here is an exe scan of the game. I am not familiar with this algorithm / compression.
quote-source: Chrox.
So best advised to upload or send the file to avast for evaluation why it shouldn't be a FP....

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Leonel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
The same is happening with my "GameExplorerHelper.dll" from LEGO Batman game.

ssv

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »
I sent the file to avast.

and... Just few minutes ago I got new virus definition file update and the dll is no longer recognized as a threat.

Thanks for the help. :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Win32:Crypt-JAC "Indiana_Jones_GameExplorerHelper.dll" [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Hi svv,

Thanks for reporting and you have now seen how quickly these issues can be settled. So please at the end of your subject line put [SOLVED] like I did, and welcome to these here forums,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!