Author Topic: avast UI problem......  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
avast UI problem......
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
A strange behavior I noticed today....
I started a quick scan and closed the avast UI which makes avast to show a notification of scan progress near sys clock. Well I stopped the scanning from there and it stopped saying scan canceled. But whenever I click on avast icon and clicked on last notification shown then it shows the <see last screenshot>...
     But when I click on resume or any button in below notification it again shows scan cancelled.... ??? ??? ???
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: avast UI problem......
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
My first thought is "why close the UI?" All that was needed was to minimize. If you close the UI all scans are canceled. Keep the UI open, just minimize. I never close the UI during a scan. I always minimize. Try this then get back to us.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
My first thought is "why close the UI?" All that was needed was to minimize. If you close the UI all scans are canceled. Keep the UI open, just minimize. I never close the UI during a scan. I always minimize. Try this then get back to us.  :)

I think the point he is making is that after cancelling the quickscan using the pop-up notification the "show last popup message" does not correctly show the last popup. Also, closing the UI does not cancel any scan for me and never has. I receive the same results as Ashish while showing the last popup.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:51:28 PM by Charyb »

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
My dear friend

To let you understand the problem faced by me... I request you to plz click start and then close the UI and see if the scan stops or not... This way you will notice my problem..

Warm Regards
Ashish Singh
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
My dear friend

To let you understand the problem faced by me... I request you to plz click start and then close the UI and see if the scan stops or not... This way you will notice my problem..

Warm Regards
Ashish Singh
I'm sorry I could not replicate the same results. avast! worked as it should for me. Another idea, for what it's worth, is to do a "repair". Click "start"...click "control panel"...click "avast"...click "repair". Or re-run the set-up package then click "repair".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
I did a clean install 5 times. used avast removal tool 6 also...
Any other who had experience similar behavior...?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
I have been unable to replicate the problem with my windows 7

I stop the scan from the taskbar - and when I open the GUI it is stopped there

what other programmes do you have running when you experience this ?

BTCentral

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Any other who had experience similar behavior...?
I just tried and was unable to reproduce the problem.

Starting a scan, closing the GUI, stopping via the scan notification and then opening the GUI again resulted in it showing the Start scan screen as you would expect.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
Starting a scan, closing the GUI, stopping via the scan notification and then opening the GUI again resulted in it showing the Start scan screen as you would expect.
+1
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
@ BTCENTRAL and Tech, Thank you both. I have tried several times and never get the same result as the OP.  :)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »
Ashish, I may be thinking differently here. Can you further explain this? Is what you are trying to show is that when you go to the Avast icon and right click on it then select "show last popup" that the popup is not the same in the second image that you posted as compared to the third image that you posted? That the third image does not show canceled?

My scan starts and stops as expected whether using the popup or the GUI. The only thing that I can see is that when I select "show last popup" the popup doesn't show it as being canceled but going to the GUI it is canceled.

disPlay

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
Just like the others have done I tried to replicate, and in my system everything worked as it should.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
The only thing that I can see is that when I select "show last popup" the popup doesn't show it as being canceled but going to the GUI it is canceled.
Charyb, you're right. I haven't thought on that way. The message restored is like Ashish Singh posted.
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
The problem with this thread is that no one has stated what is considered an pop-up by the program.

Seriously

Maybe the program doesn't consider the so called pop-up generated after a scan has been cancelled as a pop-up.

Makes sense to me. :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:22:36 PM by Nesivos »

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
not really following this thread (  :D ) but if I cancel a scan from the popup, and then close the popup, and then right click to show last popup, then the mini-scan window pops up as expected, so that should be a popup ;D

... and yeah, the OP's first post makes no bloody sense, as he wants to resume a scan that he stopped, not a scan that he paused, explaining why he gets, as expected, a scan cancelled message when clicking on resume. You can only resume a scan that you paused ;D

edit: may be the OP should install Avast a sixth time? :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:46:46 PM by Logos »