Author Topic: Question...  (Read 8175 times)

Probzzie

Question...
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »
Hi, I had just received my laptop back from Best Buys "Geek Squad", I received along with the laptop a system analysis which has check marks next to the items I passed. (If an Anti virus is installed, malware check, hard drive space, basically everything. What I found troubling is there was an X next to anti virus software and anti-spyware. Upon reading the first page I asked the rep at the counter why my report indicated I did not have anti virus or anti spyware software when I indeed knew Avast! Internet Security was is installed on the laptop (along with why my firewall was windows firewall and not Avast's

He replied with "Avast isn't known to find or do the job its set up to do"

I have always believed and trusted Avast! Why would they rate the product so terribly, and indicate that I install a "major" product?

The note under Anti Virus software was as follows:
You are at risk because you don't appear to have one of the major anti-virus products installed. Install a good anti-virus product today.

Is this just personal preference of Best buy? Do they support or endorse a different anti virus program?

Why

Offline DraKuL

Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
Its just their personal preference.. Maybe they are trying to promote another antivirus product? (If you ask them to recommend a good product they will name that one), so whatever the antivirus you have installed they will say its not good unless you have the one that they are trying to promote.. You have nothing to worry about, Avast! is one of the best there is :)

Also may I ask which version of Avast Internet Security you have installed? If its a really old version they might be correct, Install version 6.01000, since you have purchased a license its free to update the software..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »

Is this just personal preference of Best buy? Do they support or endorse a different anti virus program?

Why

As I said maybe they are getting paid by that particular company? (for promoting their products) :)
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
I would also verify with the Geeks who did work on your machine that they did not install or put a trial version of an antivirus on your machine since having 2 AV's on your system will cause a conflict.  If this tech. knew how to look at the Security Center of your machine, he/she would have seen that you did indeed have an antivirus installed (and not too knowledgeable of security software companies  ::)), assuming this feature was not disabled, but that was his/her job to "fix" your machine.

As posted earlier, you don't have to worry about it again.  Should you need to bring your machine in again, let them know what you have for security software and not to mess with it. ;)  Or come here first and see if we can fix your problem for you first.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
I had a similar thing when I bought my last computer...they were so desperate to get me to buy whatever AV it was that they were pedalling at the time. Told me that all those that put free AVs on the machines came back to get them fixed...and apparently (as a sales person) they had been "trained" about the free AVs and how bad they were...

It got to the point where the only way I could make him shut up is let him give it to me for free...and it is still sitting here unwrapped...and that wont change any time soon...

Bear in mind that for every AV that they deal with, which is sold, they get a commision or something along those lines...so they will do anything to get you to buy...

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »
That's interesting spg SCOTT, as I didn't realize these sales people also got a commission on selling other AV's.  It's been many years since I last used these Geek guys; my last experience was that I knew more than them.  I understand that others do use them, but this could explain the OP's response when he/she picked up their machine.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
the rep's answer should be translated like this: "we prefer to sell you our own AV solution"... "the one we're partnered with and make bucks with"  ;D

>>> don't even run again their utility, just ditch it.

BTCentral

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
I have always believed and trusted Avast! Why would they rate the product so terribly, and indicate that I install a "major" product?
I must say, I find that incredibly funny considering Avast is the most widely used anti-virus solution worldwide according to recent research.

The exception to this is North America, where Avast is third on the list, with both Symantec and AVG above it.
As others have said, I am absolutely certain it is a marketing thing - they want to sell you their chosen partner's anti-virus solution (It would not surprise me if that was Norton 360).

I hope you did not get ripped off, considering Geek Squad's less than stellar reputation.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:16:23 PM by BTCentral »

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
Bear in mind that for every AV that they deal with, which is sold, they get a commision or something along those lines...so they will do anything to get you to buy...
+1

I always believed Beware Geeks bearing gifts!
Paraphrased from:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/63300.html

I would never let a Best Buy Geek within 10ft of my systems.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/not_touch_something_with_a_ten_foot_pole

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
The reason why so many people are using Kaspersky is, in Sri Lanka (and I'm pretty sure that its the same case in most South Asian countries), They can buy original Kaspersky Licenses for just 1300 Rupees ( roughly converted, $13) for 1 year protection.. So most of them buy that since its the cheapest product..

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
The reason why so many people are using Kaspersky is, in Sri Lanka (and I'm pretty sure that its the same case in most South Asian countries), They can buy original Kaspersky Licenses for just 1300 Rupees ( roughly converted, $13) for 1 year protection.. So most of them buy that since its the cheapest product..
I can get KIS for Rs. 500 here. This has been discussed before. Also, box piece is available. But avast is not available in box.

Edit: OK Just found out that your Rupee value is less than ours.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:33:16 PM by nmb »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
I can get KIS for Rs. 500 here. This has been discussed before. Also, box piece is available. But avast is not available in box.

Edit: OK Just found out that your Rupee value is less than ours.

Which is why I put it in US$ :P

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
Also, box piece is available. But avast is not available in box.

Avast! should consider this :) People tend to purchase products that are available in stores than online :)

Probzzie

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
It is fully updated just so your aware :-) on the analysis report it didn't even show avast as installed, just said I had no anti-virus software, no anti-spyware, and did not show Avast! Firewall.
Also I used geeks because the laptop had a defective touch pad and a faulty dvd-rom, Geek squad are the tech team where the laptop was purchased, they just always tend to think the user has infected the machine before thinking the machine itself is messed up, appropriate analysis. Exactly what I thought, was the promoting and endorsement and spooking the owner into thinking the av installed is not good enough.
To make this story easier I just called the laptop mine but it actually belongs to my wife who was the one who had picked it up, had it been me I would have asked endless questions to why it wasn't seen, followed by if they uninstalled it. I could only imagine if a situation like that happen. . .

OH for anyone interested the tool used for the system and virus scan that they used which obviously found nothing was Webroot. Which is funny because it doe not even appear on the list of top av.
I used previously a file clean up tool they offered, but never security software.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:37:33 PM by -BigBear- »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »
He replied with "Avast isn't known to find or do the job its set up to do"
How much does they earn to sell this answer to the users?
The best things in life are free.