Author Topic: Avast IS 6.0.1000 blocks FTP clients (Webdrive, FAR)  (Read 4532 times)

Samorodok

Avast IS 6.0.1000 blocks FTP clients (Webdrive, FAR)
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »
Hello,
I am a new user of Avast IS suite after using avg for many years.
I noticed that Avast blocks my attempts to connect to my FTP site(s), which is my daily routine, via WebDrive and FAR clients. Both Applications are set to allow "All connections" in "Application Rules" (as shown on the screenshots below).
No other security software runs on the PC (Windows XP SP3, standard office programs, nothing fancy/"clever"/geeky at all).
As of now I have to turn OFF the firewall to make FTP work. Once the firewall is off - both FTP clients restore full functionality immediately.

Question 1: Any hints on how to allow FTP to work withOUT turning off the firewall?

Question 2: If cannot make Webdrive work with Avast's firewall - how can I disable the Firewall portion of the Avast so that Windows Firewall takes back full control?

Thanks.

p.s. please note that I have purchased the suite and this is a decisive factor for me to ask for money back.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:08:41 PM by Samorodok »

doktornotor

Re: Avast IS 6.0.1000 blocks FTP clients (Webdrive, FAR)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
Any hints on how to allow FTP to work withOUT turning off the firewall?

Use passive mode in your client.

Samorodok

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:19 PM »
Switching to "passive mode" has helped in both Webdrive and FAR. Thanks.

Although I am a bit concerned what possible negative effect the "passive mode" may have in comparison to normal mode.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:58:09 PM »
Although I am a bit concerned what possible negative effect the "passive mode" may have in comparison to normal mode.

None. Passive mode is pretty much required for FTP to work behind NAT/firewalls. For details of why is FTP protocol having trouble with firewalls, do a Google search on FTP active/passive mode.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:15:15 PM »
Samorodok,
I agree with doktornotor that passive mode is a the good solution for connectivity problems with FTP (Internet Explorer for example uses passive for the same reason). Nevertheless I would really like to know what firewall mode do you use - Home / Work / Public ? In Home/Work mode, FTP should work in active mode as well. Thanks. Lukas.

jomey

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
I just bought some webpsace and a domain for webhosting a blog. Is anything wrong with using fire-ftp to upload my pages?
Is bad or unsafe only because its free? I really don't want to pay for another extra program.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
Is anything wrong with using fire-ftp to upload my pages?

Nothing wrong with Fire Ftp.
Still, I prefer (also free) FileZilla. http://filezilla-project.org/
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
Filzilla portable is what I use...when I need FTP ;)

Something to make a note of, don't save the passwords, and check for the same in the other FTP programs you have used:
 http://blog.unmaskparasites.com/2011/04/13/unused-programs-real-threats/