Author Topic: XP Total Security 2011 not found  (Read 4958 times)

Jasnick

XP Total Security 2011 not found
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
Have paid-for version of Avast Internet Security.  Am in process of ridding my husband's computer of XP Total Security 2011.  Am wondering why it got through Avast.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: XP Total Security 2011 not found
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
Sorry to hear that. But these rogue antivirus stuff is very hard to detect. There are many rogues everyday and most of them are unique. Since they are not doing malicious stuff, they are hard to detect by the security suites.

For the cleaning part,

1. Please download malwarebytes antimalware from here.
2. Install and update to the latest database.
3. Run a quick scan, remove all infections found and reboot if required.
4. Post the log back here using the additional options while posting.

Jasnick

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
Thanks - I was wondering if I should  have Malwarebytes on my computers as well as Avast?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »
Malwarebytes' antimalware (MBAM) free version is a on demand scanner. It doesn't hurt if you keep it on your system and do a scan once a week after updating. But, there are also many forum members who have been using the full resident version with avast after excluding certain files in avast and MBAM.

By the way, did you scan using MBAM? Can you post the log using additional options while posting?

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:01:28 AM »
Thanks - I was wondering if I should  have Malwarebytes on my computers as well as Avast?

No Security suite is perfect :) there maybe "leaks".. Malwarebytes' is designed to "catch" the viruses that are "missed" by antivirus software.. :)
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
Also just to make sure that the computer is clean, go through this post,

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74898.0

Cheers!
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Read it all before you start

XP Total Security 2011 uninstall guide
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

hashman

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
how do you download these fixes when the XP Total Security won't let you open the sites?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
I have got a father and a soon to be father-in-law that I have to remove rogues from their computer every couple months. Vista Internet Security 2011 has been the toughest so far. Can dads be grounded from the internet?  :D Just today I picked up the father-in-laws laptop for this same problem. He has McAfee Security Center from AOL and it missed it.

Malwarebytes won't repair this on its own. Even if you are able to run malwarebytes you still have registry damage. Meaning .exe files will not open correctly in most cases. I had to rename malwarebytes to iexplore.com to get it to install. Mainly because I wasn't aware of the link that Pondus posted.

@hashman
Download the files in the link that Pondus provided on a clean computer and save them to a flash drive.

And please follow the directions exactly in the link that Pondus posted.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:52:04 PM by Charyb »

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
Have paid-for version of Avast Internet Security.  Am in process of ridding my husband's computer of XP Total Security 2011.  Am wondering why it got through Avast.

Avira users also have a problem with it "getting through"

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=129388

It probably got through because of weak browser security and/or your husband not knowing that it was malware so he knowingly downloaded it and won't tell you how dumb he was. :)  I don't blame him.  No man wants to admit to his wife that he screwed up. :)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
how do you download these fixes when the XP Total Security won't let you open the sites?

Try booting in safe mode: hit F8 repeatedly during boot up, after menu appears select "Safe Mode with Networking".
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

gentle4ug

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
Once you get the mess cleaned up, you might want to set his browsers to always run sandboxed.  Then the next time it happens, just dump the sandbox and demonstrate your superior computer skills.

Just a thought ;D

FroBaller12

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
Hello, I know that this is somewhat old, I got infected with the XP Total Security and I installed Malwarebytes, scanned, and removed everything. But after I rebooted, no exes open up and everything is messed up. What do I do?

sandeep108

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
I have got a father and a soon to be father-in-law that I have to remove rogues from their computer every couple months. Vista Internet Security 2011 has been the toughest so far. Can dads be grounded from the internet?  :D Just today I picked up the father-in-laws laptop for this same problem. He has McAfee Security Center from AOL and it missed it.
Not required. Simply ensure that there is only 1 admin account and you have the password. Make their accounts limited. Windows set to auto-update by any user. avast! and most other AV anyway auto update under any user.

I have followed this policy for several years with my family and have not had to 'clean' any of the systems at all. Once in a while when I visit, I login as admin and update the other items like java, etc.

On my Win7 system UAC is at maximum with password prompt.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
Hello, I know that this is somewhat old, I got infected with the XP Total Security and I installed Malwarebytes, scanned, and removed everything. But after I rebooted, no exes open up and everything is messed up. What do I do?
did you read all the info in the cleaning guide i posted above ?

see step nr# 3

did this work ?