Author Topic: [Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working  (Read 22477 times)

EdisnaecoIMVU

[Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:49:20 PM »
Hello,

My avast stopped working today, randomly.. So i went to investigate it all i could. Then contacted iYogi and talked to and remote-accesed with a tech agent. For over 3 hours. He removed all other security programs (malwarebytes.. etc) as an attemt to try and fix this and deleted their reg values scanned for malware.. tried repairing avast and reinstalling several times! After a long time he said he did all he could wich was understandable, he said he would contact the avast team to help me in within 24-48 hours. But maybe i could get fast help in here i thought. This is very frustrating! If you could help please and thank you that would be great!  :)

-----------------------
Edit:

Using Windows 7 32-bit, Avast IS, Mbam, Hitman Pro.

Avast started doing the above again. I have not uninstalled anything or installed anything today i have no idea what the problem is..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:44:59 AM by EdisnaecoIMVU »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
What was the error message? What is "stop working"?
Which was your previous antivirus and firewall? Before AIS?
The best things in life are free.

sded

What is your OS?  What are the symptoms of "stopped working"?  Exactly what other security software did he remove?  Did he remove the other security software (and avast!) with their standard windows uninstallers or the custom vendor uninstallers as described at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ ?  It would be helpful if you know the steps they have already taken, or if you don't know exactly people here may ask you to repeat some steps.  How is your security software currently configured?  Firewall?  AV?  Other?

EdisnaecoIMVU

Is says, Unsecured, in red, and also Urgent message: avast stopped working, please re-start it etc... And so it says 'Fix' or 'Start' tried both, if i click it it starts ok well that is for 15 seconds then it says Unsecured again. I just don't know what to do at this point.

The previous ant-virus was Bitdefender IS

EdisnaecoIMVU

What is your OS?  What are the symptoms of "stopped working"?  Exactly what other security software did he remove?  Did he remove the other security software (and avast!) with their standard windows uninstallers or the custom vendor uninstallers as described at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ ?  It would be helpful if you know the steps they have already taken, or if you don't know exactly people here may ask you to repeat some steps.  How is your security software currently configured?  Firewall?  AV?  Other?

Windows 7: Ultimate 32 bit.
Syptoms: Not sure i restarted my computer and it just stopped.
He removed: Spybot - Search and destroy, superantispyware - Free, Malwarebytes - Pro, And Hitman Pro.
Other security: Just a leftover folder of f-secure from a while ago, and eset online scanner nothing that would interfear anyway.
He removed the Spybot - Search and destroy, superantispyware - Free, Malwarebytes - Pro, And Hitman Pro. with windows uninstaller,
All of avast features are defaults because of reinstall.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Collection of Uninstallers / Removal Tools for All Popular Anti-Virus Software.

Please, rerun BitDefender uninstaller to remove leftovers.
The best things in life are free.

EdisnaecoIMVU

Collection of Uninstallers / Removal Tools for All Popular Anti-Virus Software.

Please, rerun BitDefender uninstaller to remove leftovers.

Finished successfully, avast started for about 20 seconds then shutdown..

EdisnaecoIMVU

So i tried repairing and updating avast again. And this time it did not switch back off.. i did not change anything i am not sure what was causing it.

But.. my avast is working again for now..  :)

SafeSurf

After you ran the BitDefender uninstaller tool, did you reboot?

You may also want to run the F-Secure Uninstaller listed under #14 here:  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/, then reboot to make sure there are no remnants left behind.

I would not reinstall SB in the future:
-   SB fails to detect: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/65492.aspx

You can after your problems are fixed reinstall MBAM Pro; SAS (on-demand) although MBAM does a better job; Hitman Pro is obsolete now and has been replaced with OTS.  AIS with MBAM Pro will give you excellent protection.  It is up to you if you would like other on-demand security software that does not conflict, but add them one at a time to see how they play with your software and being compatible.

It is possible that by doing the Avast Repair and rebooting, you got some things working, and you can monitor the situation.  However it cannot hurt to run the other uninstaller listed above then reboot.  You may need to do an Avast Repair afterwards and reboot again.

You will find that you will prompt support response here in the Avast forum.  However if you have any problems that you wish to convey regarding your interaction with iYogi, you can contact Adam Riley of Avast by email: riley at avast dot com (no spaces).

Please let us know if you have any questions and we will continue to assist you here.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
I'ld recommend a Malwarebytes Antimalware Scan followed by an Avast Boot-Time Scan as well, just to make sure there is no malware stuff on your machine that triggered this sudden odd behaviour.

Also make sure, that Self-Protection of Avast is turned on.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

EdisnaecoIMVU

Re: Avast Internet Security Stoped working (Contacted iYogi for help also)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
After you ran the BitDefender uninstaller tool, did you reboot?

You may also want to run the F-Secure Uninstaller listed under #14 here:  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/, then reboot to make sure there are no remnants left behind.

I would not reinstall SB in the future:
-   SB fails to detect: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/65492.aspx

You can after your problems are fixed reinstall MBAM Pro; SAS (on-demand) although MBAM does a better job; Hitman Pro is obsolete now and has been replaced with OTS.  AIS with MBAM Pro will give you excellent protection.  It is up to you if you would like other on-demand security software that does not conflict, but add them one at a time to see how they play with your software and being compatible.

It is possible that by doing the Avast Repair and rebooting, you got some things working, and you can monitor the situation.  However it cannot hurt to run the other uninstaller listed above then reboot.  You may need to do an Avast Repair afterwards and reboot again.

You will find that you will prompt support response here in the Avast forum.  However if you have any problems that you wish to convey regarding your interaction with iYogi, you can contact Adam Riley of Avast by email: riley at avast dot com (no spaces).

Please let us know if you have any questions and we will continue to assist you here.  Thank you.  :)

Well i did yes but avast shut it's self down still but after a while i restarted again without doing anything that time. May of just needed a 2nd boot?

I'll do that F-secure uninstall also just in case.

And yea i was planning on uninstalling SB because it never detected half the things mbam and hitman did.

The strange thing is that i had avast installed for about atleast 2 weeks and had no problems in till yesterday.

And thanks for all the info & support :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
Do you have Teatimer (TT) installed as well?

I would run the uninstaller again to be sure.

Here is the information for SB with TT uninstall:

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
-   How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

Reboot after uninstalling.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:27:09 AM by SafeSurf »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
@SafeSurf

This mite be off topic a bit, but i tried replying to Adam's PM like you said in the previous post. And i got this error:
An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »
I'ld recommend a Malwarebytes Antimalware Scan followed by an Avast Boot-Time Scan as well, just to make sure there is no malware stuff on your machine that triggered this sudden odd behaviour.

Also make sure, that Self-Protection of Avast is turned on.

Thanks i will try that also.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
This mite be off topic a bit, but i tried replying to Adam's PM like you said in the previous post. And i got this error:
An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages.

You need 20 posts first.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0