Author Topic: [Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working  (Read 22437 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Internet Security Stoped working (Contacted iYogi for help also)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:05 AM »
You need to email Adam at the email address I gave you in the post.  Also, I talked to Adam regarding your issue, and he is also going to send you an email as well to follow up.

EdisnaecoIMVU

Re: Avast Internet Security Stoped working (Contacted iYogi for help also)
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
You need to email Adam at the email address I gave you in the post.  Also, I talked to Adam regarding your issue, and he is also going to send you an email as well to follow up.

Ah ok, thanks

EdisnaecoIMVU

Thanks for everyone's help/comments.

As this is no longer a issue i am changing the topic title to solved.

EdisnaecoIMVU

Avast stopped working again..  :(

I have not installed any other security software.. or anything. All i did was restart my computer.. and avast turned off. Same as before if i turn it on it goes on for about 20 seconds. I should note that now 9/10 shields are down. Only thing still working is Firewall. No existing security products are on here.. i am lost. Please help me out? Thanks.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: [Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 02:08:16 AM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but windows update has caused problems in a few cases and I can't say for sure if it effects windows 7. It was the update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable. KB2467174. Maybe you could go to programs and features and uninstall this update then check to see if Avast acts as expected. You could always reinstall this update later. If it does fix it then Microsoft sent out a botched update. Only problem with this is that the updates weren't released until the 13th and you had the problem before this. I would also go to microsofts website and perform a clean install of the existing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (for x86) which will also be in programs and features. Just to make sure these are not corrupt in any way.

Clean install of this:
x86
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:32:04 AM by Charyb »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 02:16:15 AM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but windows update has caused problems in a few cases and I can't say for sure if it effects windows 7. It was the update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable. KB2467174. Maybe you could go to programs and features and uninstall this update then check to see if Avast acts as expected. You could always reinstall this update later. If it does fix it then Microsoft sent out a botched update. Only problem with this is that the updates weren't released until the 13th and you had the problem before this.

I looked in the installed updates but do not see KB2467174 i have Microsoft Visual 2010 tho

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 02:22:55 AM »
Here are some images so you can see what i am working with..

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »
The thing is, I have Windows 7 and don't have MV C++ 2010 and have Avast 6 installed and mine is working fine with 2008. I think 2008 is all that is required. How long did you have Avast installed before having problems?

can you go into programs and features and screenprint everything that has to do with Microsoft Visual C++? Just want to see what is there. I may be barking up the wrong tree on this. Not for sure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:01:09 AM by Charyb »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
can you go into programs and features and screenprint everything that has to do with Microsoft Visual C++? Just want to see what is there. I may be barking up the wrong tree on this. Not for sure.

Here you go:
and it's worth a try :)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »
Oh, you have 32 bit only. Disregard anything I posted about 64 bit then. I edited my previous post. That update I was referring to is there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:05:56 AM by Charyb »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 02:43:32 AM »
Ok, well thanks for trying to help.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 02:52:19 AM »
That windows update that I was talking about is there.
I would uninstall that update and give Avast a try.

If that doesn't work then I would create a restore point or better yet an image backup then remove all the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables and install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2

I would like to see if some sort of corruption with the others is the cause.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:05:01 AM by Charyb »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:05 AM »
Ah i see it now haha i'll try uninstalling it.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 03:06:50 AM »
It looks like it is working!  :o

I am going to leave that thing uninstalled..

But i hope avast stays working now.. Thanks.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »
I don't know if I would call it fixed quite yet. Give it some time and please report back if it fails again.