Author Topic: [Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working  (Read 22301 times)

EdisnaecoIMVU

Re: [Happened Again!] Avast Internet Security Stoped working
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 03:09:24 AM »
I don't know if I would call it fixed quite yet. Give it some time and please report back if it fails again.

Will do  ;)

I also emailed avast for extra help.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:41 AM »
I sent Vlk an email on this. I don't really know for sure if it is a fix or not. Or whether or not it's a botched Microsoft update or if the others are corrupted. Or maybe this has nothing to do with it at all.  ??? It's been intermittant so that makes it tough to figure out. Have a good evening.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:21:06 AM by Charyb »

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »
I wish i knew  :-\ but it worked for the time being it seems. Good evening to you too.

SafeSurf

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
@ EdisnaecoIMVU,

Let's review what has been done so far.  When you started this thread and had previous discussions with iYogi, I had given you instructions for uninstalling security software in case remnants were left behind. 

Questions:

1. Did you run ALL the uninstallers of your previous security software?
2. Did you elect NOT to reinstall Spybot SD?
3. Did you do an uninstall / clean install of Avast with the latest version using the Avast Uninstaller tool?

Were questions 1 - 3 done prior to the MS Updates?  If so, were things working properly prior to this time?  If not, please produce a mini-dump file.
- Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.
- Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.

@ Charyb,

Thank you for emailing Vlk, but I don't know if he can help at this point since he just got back from traveling.  Adam, from Avast has been involved in this case/thread (see earlier in post).  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »
@ EdisnaecoIMVU
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
@ EdisnaecoIMVU,

Let's review what has been done so far.  When you started this thread and had previous discussions with iYogi, I had given you instructions for uninstalling security software in case remnants were left behind. 

Questions:

3. Did you do an uninstall / clean install of Avast with the latest version using the Avast Uninstaller tool?

Were questions 1 - 3 done prior to the MS Updates?  If so, were things working properly prior to this time?  If not, please produce a mini-dump file.
- Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.
- Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.

@ Charyb,

Thank you for emailing Vlk, but I don't know if he can help at this point since he just got back from traveling.  Adam, from Avast has been involved in this case/thread (see earlier in post).  Thank you.

1. Yes
2. I did not install Spybot.
3. Yes

I will do the memory dump now. And to note avast is down again.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
@ EdisnaecoIMVU,

Questions:

@ Charyb,

I restarted my computer and pushed ctrl + scr lk two times when the problem accured nothing happened. So i restarted manually and nothing happened.  ???

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
@EdisnaecoIMVU
Sorry to see that it is not working again. It was a coin toss.

@Safesurf
I saw that regarding Adam. The email didn't contain anything about this topic. It was only about windows update in general.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
So.. i did a sfc /scannow and it helped (for now) avast is on. But it said some things could not be repaired so avast might shut back down soon.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
And there it goes shutting down again!

::)

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »
I tried everything.. nothing is working i don't understand why it is acting like it is. I may have to move to a different software.. i have no shields protecting my system and i must before it is too late.

SafeSurf

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »
To clarify, you were or were not able to submit a mini-dump file to Avast?  If you were not able because of server problems, please try to submit again.  Thank you.

Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM log (make sure you update MBAM first) and the OTS logs (save them as ANSI and not Unicode).  Post the MBAM log and the OTS log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Post).  I want to make sure we are not dealing with malware as the source of your problems.  Thank you.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
I am using avira in till avast gets fixed. That way i have real-time protection.

I have done the scans and posted them below.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
Description = Faulting application name: AvastSvc.exe, version: 6.0.1044.0, time stamp: 0x4d8a4802  Faulting module name: WINSPAMCATCHER.dll, version: 6.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ce0ab8b  Exception code: 0xc0000409  Fault offset: 0x00026f6a  Faulting process id: 0x838  Faulting application start time: 0x01cbfb919a11073f  Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe  Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WINSPAMCATCHER.dll  Report Id: 8991fe28-67a3-11e0-92ca-00235a9cedb5
This is one of the error reports from your system it looks to belong to the spam module

I can see no apparent malware on the logs - did you reinstall the system last month ?

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
I reinstalled my windows 7 1-2 months ago yes, if that is what you mean?