Author Topic: Resolved: Would like some help with Sandbox in avast free  (Read 6768 times)

Diddy

Resolved: Would like some help with Sandbox in avast free
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
HI I have Avast free 6.1 on my computer.  The other day while I was surfing the internet message came up from the extra protection module in avast saying that the Sandbox had put google desktop in the sandbox and it said recommened to put in the sandbox.  Then the Sandbox feature kept coming up with same big popup saying that sandbox had put google desktop in the sandbox this kept happening until I used the pull down menu and found out that I could open the google desktop in the sandbox so I went with open the google desktop in the sandbox.  What I want to now is when you open something in the sandbox nothing happened nothing showed up on my computer to say that google desktop was open in the sandbox.  I was wondering how can I go about finding stuff in the sandbox in avast 6.1.

I must say that the sandbox feature in Avast 6.1 lasted version it sometimes makes me frusterated and sometimes mad.  I do not fully understand the Sandbox feature in avast free.  It would be nice if someone could give me some information on how the sandbox feature works in avast free.

thanks have a great evening.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:11:27 AM by Diddy »

spg SCOTT

Re: Would like some help with Sandbox in avast free
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
The auto sandbox in the free version is a rather limited sandbox.

It will offer an option to recommend some files to be sandboxed (depending on various checks). It isn't a fully fledged sandbox as such so you wont really have much control over the contents of the sandbox.

If something generates an autosandbox prompt, it is not an indication that something is necessarily wrong, but that avast feels that it could potentially be bad. A better be safe than sorry approach, if that makes sense.

The settings that are available for the sandbox can be found here:
Open avast -> Additional Protection -> Auto-Sandbox -> Settings

ANHTHU5991

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »
Sandbox is an interesting function in avast 6. although it sometimes causes tiredness, it is useful. Normally, when avast thinks the program you run is not safe.It will ask you to run this program in sandbox.
By this way, in the process of running program, this program can make no change to you computer.
It seem like you run a program in a imaginary environment

sigouin.francois

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:28:54 AM »
The auto sandbox in the free version is a rather limited sandbox.

It will offer an option to recommend some files to be sandboxed (depending on various checks). It isn't a fully fledged sandbox as such so you wont really have much control over the contents of the sandbox.

If something generates an autosandbox prompt, it is not an indication that something is necessarily wrong, but that avast feels that it could potentially be bad. A better be safe than sorry approach, if that makes sense.

The settings that are available for the sandbox can be found here:
Open avast -> Additional Protection -> Auto-Sandbox -> Settings

General Question : I get the "open in sandbox" message when running a screen saver ie. an .SCR file run by RUNDLL32.EXE. 
1) How can I tell if this is really a problem or just a potential warning ?  A full system scan came up clean.
2) Should I always run this application in the sandbox just in case?
3) Can I add an exclusion for .SCR file types in the settings without any problems?

[Win XP, SP3 - AVAST free 6.0.1]

Thanks,

sigouin.francois

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Resolved: Would like some help with Sandbox in avast free
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »
Well only you can know if this screensaver is legit, e.g. you know about it; you got it from a legit source; you installed it; and at that point in time it would be running ?

If the above is correct and you are installing/running it for the first time, again it is you that is in control of that action and not something that happened out of the blue, so it should be OK. So you have the you can select open normally and also check the Remember my answer for this program, etc. see image example, that adds it to the exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security