Author Topic: system rebooting indefinitely when Avast installed on XP  (Read 4692 times)

Hermite15

system rebooting indefinitely when Avast installed on XP
« on: April 11, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
... okay obviously the question is not from me but from someone in the French section. Honestly I have no idea what causes that so I can't help the guy. He's saying that he can boot in safe mode, and when he uninstall Avast from there, his problem disappears ;D
 With Avast installed and attempting to boot in normal mode, his system reboots as soon as the XP logo appears.

Any idea?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75945.0

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: system rebooting indefinitely when Avast installed on XP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »
Did he have any other AV installed prior to Avast?

This looks very suspicious.

I'ld recommend my favourite: a MBAM scan first.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »
Did he have any other AV installed prior to Avast?

This looks very suspicious.

I'ld recommend my favourite: a MBAM scan first.

yeah he didn't mention any misbehavior of the system when Avast is not installed, so I didn't tell him about an mbam scan, but okay you never know, I'll tell him ;)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
If what Zyndstoff mentioned doesn't get it maybe you could have him uncheck "Automatically Restart" on system failure to see if this would stop the reboot. Or have Avast load late in the expert settings. Doesn't solve it but may narrow it down. Check to see if there are any dump files that can be submitted. See if there are any errors in the event viewer??? That's all my beady little brain can come up with for now.

example I attached is from windows 7 but anyway...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:31:03 PM by Charyb »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
he didn't mention any bsod. The setting you mention is only effective with blue screens. His system just seems to be caught in an infinite loop at boot time. But yeah, event viewer could talk. I'll see what comes out of his mbam scan, and suggest different things... well, as soon as he comes back to the forums.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »
on second thought this may work... I'll suggest it ;)

ullas

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
HEY I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS MENTIONED WITH AVAST 6.0.1000 . PRIOR TO THAT VERSION I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY XP. WHEN I INSTALLED IT SYSTEM WILL RESTART IN NORMAL MODE. BUT I COULD LOGIN IN SAFE-MODE ALSO AVAST FAILED IN NORMAL MODE.  THEN I UNINSTALLED THE SOFTWARE  IN SAFE-MODE THEN SYSTEM RETURNED TO NORMA. HAD SOME BSOD ERROR WHILE RESTARTING.

WHEN I INSTALLED OLDER VERSION THERE WAS NO PROBLEM.. I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE SOFTWARE. I HAD THIS AFTER FRESH INSTALL OF XP.SO NO MALWARE OR VIRUS PROBLEMS COULD CAUSE IT..

DONT NO THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM WITH  THE NEW VERSION... 6.0.1091

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
@ullas

What service pack is your fresh install of WinXP?  SP2 is required as a minimum.  From an OS security standpoint, SP3 is definitely recommended.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab2

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner