Author Topic: Avast Blocked Malicious URL.  (Read 3366 times)

Probzzie

Avast Blocked Malicious URL.
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
I was just using google and had Avast block a potential rogue AV from downloading, I'm aware I am safe, but just so I know does the forum recommend the links be posted for analysis or technical reasons?
I have written the infected link to where I was directed to, which lead to an IE browser "AV Scan"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Blocked Malicious URL.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
You can post it here (not a live link, use hxxp or spaces for that).
The best things in life are free.

Probzzie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
the link is
dl.fron tiernet-anti spyware.co.cc/BestAntiVirus2011. exe
There is no http:// at the beginning of the link as I ran the link in sandbox to confirm the address was correct, and inputting http:// did not work.
So instead I broke the link hope this is acceptable.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
Personally on the location and name alone, I would say this is a good detection.

Well frontiernet-antispyware.co.cc, almost laughable and best anti virus 2011, indeed ;D

The leading to an IE browser "AV Scan" is a classic rogue AV deception tactic, attempt to have you think you are infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
Avast! is very good at detecting these websites...
You were lucky that the threat didn't get thru 'cause after that the problems begins... fake av's are very annoying, they don't let you open taskmgr, malwarebytes', browser or any other stuff.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10