Author Topic: An extra blue ball in my tray?  (Read 5015 times)

Jorolat

An extra blue ball in my tray?
« on: September 30, 2004, 09:24:03 AM »
Twice this morning I came out of standby, and a minute or so later, an extra avast blue ball appeared in my tray with an arrow twirling all over the place.

At first I thought it was something to do with standby but its happened once more while I was surfing.

I can't find any entries in the log viewer which might explain it - can anyone help please?

Jorolat

trigger

Re:An extra blue ball in my tray?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 10:29:21 AM »
Avast comes with an "A" ball and an "I" ball. Maybe its' the "I" ball that is generating your VRDB???

Peter

Jorolat

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 10:36:20 AM »
Avast comes with an "A" ball and an "I" ball. Maybe its' the "I" ball that is generating your VRDB???

Peter

You're right Peter - thanks! :)

Even as I was reading your reply, the ball appeared again & I was able to spot the "i"

I've never noticed it before & didn't realize the VRDB was done in 'little bits'

Thanks again,

John

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 12:10:35 PM »
You can always right-clcik it and choose MERGE WITH MAIN AVAST! ICON. That way, generating the VRDB will still be permormed when your computer is idle (that's default setting btw), and you will not see the extra blue ball icon with "i" inside while it's doing it...

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 01:52:15 PM »
and you will not see the extra blue ball icon with "i" inside while it's doing it... Cheers !

Craftec, for me it's different... even merged, I can see the i swirling  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 01:56:29 PM »
This is by design. :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jorolat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 04:41:14 PM »
You can always right-clcik it and choose MERGE WITH MAIN AVAST! ICON. That way, generating the VRDB will still be permormed when your computer is idle (that's default setting btw), and you will not see the extra blue ball icon with "i" inside while it's doing it...

Cheers !

Hi Craftec,

I did have 'i' & 'a' merged, but as Technical & Vlk say, the 'i'  appears seperately anyway (which I think is a good idea cos it shows its working!).

I'm just surprised that I hadn't noticed it before - I checked the help files & it says the period of 3 weeks between generations can be altered in avast4.ini

I was pretty sure that I hadn't done so but I had a look anyway. Except for an entry about vrdb balloons, all I have (at the end of the file) is:

[VRDB]
LastFile=
FullComplete=1096534704
Disabled=0
ScreenSaverOnly=0
MergeIcons=1

I wouldn't know how to change from 3 weeks to any other value anyway - out of interest, can anyone tell me where the 3 weeks default setting is?

Regards,

John

Jorolat

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 04:58:04 PM »

Except for an entry about vrdb balloons, all I have (at the end of the file) is:

[VRDB]
LastFile=
FullComplete=1096534704
Disabled=0
ScreenSaverOnly=0
MergeIcons=1

I wouldn't know how to change from 3 weeks to any other value anyway - out of interest, can anyone tell me where the 3 weeks default setting is?

Oops - I've just noticed the "Understanding avast4.ini file" sticky by Technical! :-[

After looking at the section on VRDB , I find I don't have a "RunInterval 30240" entry (ain't gotta clue wot I done with it!) so I'm even more surprised that avast chose today to update the VRDB.

Anyway, I'll put the runinterval entry into the ini file and see what happens in 3 weeks!

John

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 05:48:41 PM »
Jorolat
The best rule in computing is this:
If it ain't broke, don't  fix it!
Don't add or change anything. It's working fine. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 06:29:17 PM »
I'm a little late "jumping in" here, and it looks like you've already got things nicely under control.  In particular, you've discovered that the VRDB icon shows separately while a new VRDB is generating even if (like probably most of us, to save space) you've merged the two.

As for the RunInterval setting, Bob's quite right to just leave the ini alone unless you actually want to change the period between VRDB's.  RunInverval is just one of many setting-parameters for which avast "assumes" some default value (in this case 3 weeks) if there's no specific line for it in the ini.  Probably built right into the exe, I imagine.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Jorolat

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 07:12:20 PM »
Okay Bob & Mike - I've taken the runinterval line out (sorry to see it go, think it was the first time I've altered an ini file :-[) and everything is back to normal ('fingers crossed').

Thanks for your help :)

John