Author Topic: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!  (Read 17550 times)

psikofunkster

Re: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
i saw avast deleting file from windvd2010 and other directories... :'(

malta

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
What a mess. Once I've restored the files, the entry still stays in the chest. There are so many!

What do I do after they have been restored? Do I just leave all those entries in the chest?

eco23

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:30 AM »
I assume a staff member will occasionally check these threads?  It seems we're all having the same problem and I haven't heard an actual solution.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »
I'm not a staff member, but a user like you, with a couple of answers at least.

Once restored, a copy is kept in the chest in case you make a mistake with the file or the restore fails somehow. Once you confirm that it has worked correctly, said files can be deleted from the chest.

Delete is not the best idea, as may be obvious now. Unfortunately it can take a mistake for these things to become truly apparent to everyone...AFAIK there are ways to recover previously deleted files, but I would not be the one to ask on this subject.

psikofunkster

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
I assume a staff member will occasionally check these threads?  It seems we're all having the same problem and I haven't heard an actual solution.

an "actual solution" is to upgrade to 110411-2, however the deleted files are gone.....

psikofunkster

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »

Once restored, a copy is kept in the chest in case you make a mistake with the file or the restore fails somehow. Once you confirm that it has worked correctly, said files can be deleted from the chest.

Delete is not the best idea, as may be obvious now. Unfortunately it can take a mistake for these things to become truly apparent to everyone...AFAIK there are ways to recover previously deleted files, but I would not be the one to ask on this subject.

delete is not the best idea? you should tell us a few hours ago dude....

eco23

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »

an "actual solution" is to upgrade to 110411-2, however the deleted files are gone.....

I have that version.  So, in my situation everything was moved to the chest and not deleted...so I just restore all the items from today's scan, then run another boot scan to be safe?

malta

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »
Ok, I was able to control-click multiple files and restore them all. Quite laboriously, I must say.

I have read in some other threads that the entries will stay in the chest unless you delete them after restoring, which I don't want to do. I'm going to leave 'em in there just in case.

I hope someone will help the people who deleted files (glad I chose to move to chest instead). I think this whole incident deserves a sticky post so people will know what to do.

I feel like taking a chill pill and lying down now  :o

(And I still love Avast, just don't do this again!)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
You can also shift-click (start and end) or use select all (Ctrl + A - but watch out for stuff you had in there previously if applicable...)

Well, I personally have been saying that since I began on this forum, as have others...but that is not the point.

My point was that this should be a lesson to everyone, that deletion shouldn't be a default reaction, since things can, and ultimately do, go wrong.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:21:08 AM by spg SCOTT »

Ssscrudddy

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »
Yep, I'll be moving to chest from now on  >:(

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 01:25:16 AM »

hey, you're getting obvious FPs after a bad VPS update, then you choose to delete files... (while others stupidly ran full/boot time scans)... and you're coming here to insult everyone? now you chill out okay ?

paraxeno

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »
ok got it! and you are right (I should be wiser there) delete isnt the first option but what if we stupidly deleted files during the boot scan ? is there a way to restore these files?  with a system restore maybe? cause the computer lost its sound after that.. :(
thanks for helping in advance

Ssscrudddy

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:33:11 AM »
System Restore wont do it, I already tried.

paraxeno

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:01 AM »
sigh! thanks Ssscrudddy
lets hope the avast team will come up with some idea

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »
ok got it! and you are right (I should be wiser there) delete isnt the first option but what if we stupidly deleted files during the boot scan ? is there a way to restore these files?  with a system restore maybe? cause the computer lost its sound after that.. :(
thanks for helping in advance

the problem with system restore is that you may restore the bad VPS...