Author Topic: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!  (Read 17556 times)

paraxeno

Re: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:41 AM »
how about restoring the system in safe mode, then uninstall the bad VPS (remove avast still in safe mode) and then restart and reinstall  avast from scratch? would that help maybe?
sorry if I sound stupid with those questions I don't know much about computers, just the basics so I do silly things and ask stupid questions :(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:50:05 AM by paraxeno »

Ssscrudddy

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:30 AM »

the problem with system restore is that you may restore the bad VPS...

well it didnt, I checked for that also. It left it at 110411-2

Had to laugh at this tho

hey, you're getting obvious FPs after a bad VPS update, then you choose to delete files... (while others stupidly ran full/boot time scans)... and you're coming here to insult everyone? now you chill out okay ?

So you're now insulting every one who ran the boot time scan, yet having a go at other peeps for being insulting!!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:42:49 AM by Ssscrudddy »

paraxeno

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »
feeling hopeless here, I may have ruined my friends pc  ???

malta

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »
hey, you're getting obvious FPs after a bad VPS update, then you choose to delete files... (while others stupidly ran full/boot time scans)... and you're coming here to insult everyone? now you chill out okay ?

Logos, I think you're being a bit harsh here. Not everyone is familiar with false positives or what to do when Avast starts finding crazy amounts of files. For me, this was a first.

I was prompted by Avast to do a bootscan after I did a quick scan and it found "133 infected files". I thought maybe I should check here first and now I wish I had, but in the heat of the moment one tends to panic a bit.

I have really learned a lot from this incident, and I think it could be treated as a 'teachable moment' instead of yelling at people. Just my two cents  ::)

paraxeno

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »
I thought maybe I should check here first and now I wish I had, but in the heat of the moment one tends to panic a bit.

Malta I tried to check here before deleting but the site was down for more than an hour :( so being trustful to avast I deleted the files, my first false alerts ever too

malta

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:56 AM »
paraxeno, I tried to get here too, and the site was taking forever to load which increased my paranoia about a possible infection. That's why I ran the quick scan and etc.

I guess we've all learned something today. They say experience is the best teacher, but ARRGGH...I coulda done w/o this one!

paraxeno

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 02:04:08 AM »
paraxeno, I tried to get here too, and the site was taking forever to load which increased my paranoia about a possible infection. That's why I ran the quick scan and etc.

I guess we've all learned something today. They say experience is the best teacher, but ARRGGH...I coulda done w/o this one!

exactly the same here malta, and I was helping a friend with his computer which makes me feel double responsible  :'( if we have deleted important files that caused the sound to disappear, worse thing is he is a musician using his computer for work and what is a musician with no sound?

we certainly did learn a whole bunch today !!!

YoKenny

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 02:04:31 AM »
I thought maybe I should check here first and now I wish I had, but in the heat of the moment one tends to panic a bit.

Malta I tried to check here before deleting but the site was down for more than an hour :( so being trustful to avast I deleted the files, my first false alerts ever too
Not the first false positive:
https://blog.avast.com/2009/12/10/bad-definition-update

They are corrected quickly:
https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1

Falco

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 02:08:20 AM »
Guys, I had the same problem with today's update. At first, all sites were "infected". Then I started a full system scan in Avast! which found around 12 "infected" files. I forgot what exactly it was, but I deleted all of them. Then Avast! asked me if I want to run bootscan but I said no. So, is something wrong if I deleted those files? I'm scared now. :(

esswun

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »
Had the same problem.  Initial system scan found a bunch of high risk trojans and whatnot, moved them to the chest and advised me to do a boot scan.  Did the boot scan and it found something like 10,000 infected files, also moved to chest.  Logged back on and got the 110411-2 update, did a system scan and found zero infections.  In my chest there are nowhere near 10,000 files but there are a lot.  

I want to restore them as people in this thread have been doing but I am afraid some may actually be threats.  

Several have [Trj] assuming for Trojan, [Heur] no idea, and [Expl] assuming exploit, tags after their entries.

Are the ones with the tagged REAL Trojans, etc. or were they false positives from the bad 110411-1 update?

Should I keep the tagged files in the chest and restore the rest?

Thanks all.  

Ssscrudddy

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »
1st time its happened to me as well I missed that other one, I too went with what Avast was saying & the forum was down. I dont think we need to take too much notice of the likes of Logos, he obviously a big scary man cuz he can swear at peeps in his own language... ooer I'm shaking in my little pink booties  ::)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:19 AM »
I'm not sure how this could affect the sound, but take a look in device manager and see if the are yellow triangles next to the sound section.

Thinking on recovering some deleted files, would recuva work? I haven't ever used it so I can't comment on that...maybe worth a shot though
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds (Use the zip download, no need to install then)

As the phrase goes, hindsight is 20/20...

paraxeno

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:39 AM »
Kenny it was my first false positive incident, so how should I know this was the case? and since the site was down to see what was going on in here I chose the panic way to react, by deleting and not putting the infected files in the chest :(

paraxeno

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »
I'm not sure how this could affect the sound, but take a look in device manager and see if the are yellow triangles next to the sound section.

Thinking on recovering some deleted files, would recuva work? I haven't ever used it so I can't comment on that...maybe worth a shot though
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds (Use the zip download, no need to install then)

As the phrase goes, hindsight is 20/20...

thanks Scott will try that tomorrow first thing in the morning its 3.13 am here in Greece but still here trying to find a solution since I feel responsible in case my friends computer has a serious problem now
thanks a lot though I just wish its something I can handle

malta

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »
YoKenny thanks for the info. This was a first false positive for me, I must have missed the one in Dec '09...maybe because they are fixed so quickly!

At least now I  will know what to do if it ever happens again. Namely, calm down, research it here, and proceed with caution.

Also, never delete! Never surrender!  ;D