Author Topic: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!  (Read 17549 times)

YoKenny

Re: I ran a bootscan during the Avast freak out today, help!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 02:17:08 AM »
Kenny it was my first false positive incident, so how should I know this was the case? and since the site was down to see what was going on in here I chose the panic way to react, by deleting and not putting the infected files in the chest :(
If you choose to panic then maybe you need Valium. ;)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
@paraxeno

If you choose the system restore option you can perform a manual VPS update by going here. http://www.avast.com/download-update
I already checked to see if it was the most recent.
Download it then save it to a usb stick. You can then update the definitions offline if you have any concerns.
I think I read another post where restore didn't work. Don't know the details of what didn't work though.

You could also ask your friend if he has recovery cd or a system image that can be used to repair the problems.

If I have repeated anything posted by others, my apologies. Having a hard time following this.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:21:29 AM by Charyb »

paraxeno

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 02:19:49 AM »
Kenny it was my first false positive incident, so how should I know this was the case? and since the site was down to see what was going on in here I chose the panic way to react, by deleting and not putting the infected files in the chest :(
If you choose to panic then maybe you need Valium. ;)
lol pharmacies closed at this hour of night in our country ;)

paraxeno

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:41 AM »
@paraxeno

If you choose the system restore option you can perform a manual VPS update by going here. http://www.avast.com/download-update
I already checked to see if it was the most recent.
Download it then save it to a usb stick. You can then update the definitions offline if you have any concerns. I think I read another post where restore didn't work. Don't know the details of what didn't work though.

You could also ask your friend if he has recovery cd or a system image that can be used to repair the problems.

If I have repeated anything posted by others, my apologies. Having a hard time following this.

will try all these too thanks a million, something will work eventually

Falco

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »
Guys, I had the same problem with today's update. At first, all sites were "infected". Then I started a full system scan in Avast! which found around 12 "infected" files. I forgot what exactly it was, but I deleted all of them. Then Avast! asked me if I want to run bootscan but I said no. So, is something wrong if I deleted those files? I'm scared now. :(

paraxeno

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 02:32:30 AM »
Falco it probably depends on how your computer runs after the deletion, (mine lost the sound) read the links and instruction people gave us on previous posts, to see if any of these cases apply to you and follow instructions found on the blog here https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1/

or just be a little more patient till we get more detailed instructions if any give for cases that files were deleted

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:44:17 AM by paraxeno »

Rad2

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 02:37:50 AM »
Today 80% of all internet sites were blocked.
Did a virus scan and it came back with 3200 false positives every file that had anything to do with java script was flagged for quarantine remove or allow, I allowed them all obviously.
Before today I have never had a problem with Avast.
Avast asked to do a boot scan of course I chose not to.

paraxeno

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
lucky you Rad, I wish I have been that wise  :-\

YoKenny

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
lucky you Rad, I wish I have been that wise  :-\
Newbies have a lot to learn!  ;)

RadioGaGa

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:41 AM »
Having also been through the mill with this little swerve-ball from Avast, I actually believe it's either a huge mistake inadvertently written into an update because the 'every website has malware' problem definitely occurred immediately after an Avast auto update earlier today.

And it has now completely gone away after the new update I have just received minutes ago.

Or, and this is where we enter the realms of conspiracy theory, it's a marketing campaign!

Didn't anyone notice that all the dark red malware detected windows that popped-up only had one link that took you straight over to the "benefits of upgrading page" on the Avast website ??

I wonder how many panic purchased into the pro version during all of this?

Yes Avast is our friend and they provide possibly the best free access virus checker available, but times are hard.

OK I did admit it was only a theory, but I discovered Avast some years ago after going through the hell imposed on free users by AVG when their server was almost impenetrable and no one could update their virus patterns for weeks on end. Strangely the paid for users had no problems at all and AVG simply did not comment on the problem with any real effect.

I pray this is a glitch and Avast doesn't go down the road of 'persuading' potential paying customers by using scare tactics like this.

paraxeno

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:02 AM »
Newbies have a lot to learn!  ;)

yeap Kenny that is the good side of it, that we are able to learn  :D (if only it was my pc I wouldnt mind that much) ah well what is done is done, thanks to all for all the help efforts and enjoy the rest of your day or night

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
Having also been through the mill with this little swerve-ball from Avast, I actually believe it's either a huge mistake inadvertently written into an update because the 'every website has malware' problem definitely occurred immediately after an Avast auto update earlier today.

And it has now completely gone away after the new update I have just received minutes ago.

Or, and this is where we enter the realms of conspiracy theory, it's a marketing campaign!

Didn't anyone notice that all the dark red malware detected windows that popped-up only had one link that took you straight over to the "benefits of upgrading page" on the Avast website ??

Yes Avast is our friend and they provide possibly the best free access virus checker available, but times are hard.

OK I did admit it was only a theory, but I discovered Avast some years ago after going through the hell imposed on free users by AVG when their server was almost impenetrable and no one could update their virus patterns for weeks on end. Strangely the paid for users had no problems at all and AVG simply did not comment on the problem with any real effect.

I pray this is a glitch and Avast doesn't go down the road of 'persuading' potential paying customers by using scare tactics like this.

No conspiracy theory. Just a mistake that was corrected within an hour after discovering. As you can see it has caused more negative publicity than it would be worth in having an unknown amount of people purchase a Pro or AIS product. Where would the benefit be in this? I don't really need an answer to that question because there is no benefit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:08:21 AM by Charyb »

Falco

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »
Falco it probably depends on how your computer runs after the deletion, (mine lost the sound) read the links and instruction people gave us on previous posts, to see if any of these cases apply to you and follow instructions found on the blog here https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1/

or just be a little more patient till we get more detailed instructions if any give for cases that files were deleted

I didn't notice anything unusual.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 03:02:46 AM »
avast will NEVER do this. The detection level is the same on the free and the paid version.

Strangely the paid for users had no problems at all and AVG simply did not comment on the problem with any real effect.
Otherwise AVG and Avira, avast releases the same servers for both paid and free versions. The default update time of the free version is, otherwise, higher than the paid versions.

A complete false theory or FUD.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »

;D ;D keep praying :D