Author Topic: Restoring non-infected files not working  (Read 4041 times)

nokomis

Restoring non-infected files not working
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:25:37 AM »
I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, but....

So while this 'bug' thing was happening (April 11th) and I was getting all these false warnings about infected files, I moved all of them to the chest. Now after the 'bug' in the definition update has been fixed and I updated, I still have all the files in the chest. Yes, I did go into the chest, selected them all and chose 'restore' then a box comes up that says "You are trying to restore a file from the chest. The file already exists. Should the program overwrite the existing file?"  Well I don't know what to do from here. None of the files in the chest were found to have any viruses. So far I have chosen the "Skip all" options and the 'overwrite' options, but all the files seem to not move from the chest!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Restoring non-infected files not working
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:38:11 AM »
The "restore" option doesn't move the files from the chest - it copies them to the original location. However, they (also) stay in the chest - unless you delete them from there afterwards.

psikofunkster

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
and what if i chose to delete all those "infected" files my system has become compromised?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:32 AM »
and what if i chose to delete all those "infected" files my system has become compromised?
What did you choose to delete?
1. The detected files
2. The files into Chest

Anyway, your system does not seem to be compromised.
Just that delete should not be the first option but rather send files to Chest.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
The "restore" option doesn't move the files from the chest - it copies them to the original location. However, they (also) stay in the chest - unless you delete them from there afterwards.

Igor this doesn't answer the question about the "overwrite" prompt... obviously in many cases on top of moving a file to Chest (FP or not), the original file remains in its original location, blocked, explaining why restoring fails as well.

This said that's a good thing in the case of a global FP failure, as deactivating the File System Shield solves temporarily the problem, as blocked files get unblocked. But that's not the expected behavior when FS action is just "send to chest".

ps: and again, off topic here, please rename the "no action" choice in FS advanced settings to "block", as that's what it does. No such issue if set to ask as the prompt options are then clear: chest/delete/block
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:16:59 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
You need to boot to unblock the files.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »

deactivating the FS is enough.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
But much more dangerous... Not all the files could be false positives...

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
But much more dangerous... Not all the files could be false positives...

so you mean that when the FS just blocks a file, rebooting unblocks it ???  and the FS won't block it again if you click on it? I never tested that...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
so you mean that when the FS just blocks a file, rebooting unblocks it ???  and the FS won't block it again if you click on it? I never tested that...
No, I'm not saying that. Just that disabling the FS exposes all system and all files, not just the previous blocked ones.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

okay you were referring to those stuck with no possible boot I suppose... not really what I was talking about... that leaves one solution, re-image or safe mode (if possible), and de-install avast from there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:21:31 PM by Logos »