Author Topic: Newbie and Concerned  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Newbie and Concerned
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread, this happens with any AV and is not a first for Avast.

That is true as a fact, but there is no apparent reason why I should shoot my mother just because someone else killed his....
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

street_lethal

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
Quote from: Zyndstoff
We just have to live with a remaining risk - I still board planes even though occasionally they collide in mid-air or tend to fall from the skies due to human failure or unforseen circumstances.

Sometimes bad things happen. Or, as my grandfather used to say: when your shoe-laces snatch, you always also run out of soap at the same time.

Now what would the corrective action be?  Have him decapitated? Take him off of the payroll?

That is true as a fact, but there is no apparent reason why I should shoot my mother just because someone else killed his....

You have a way with words.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

You have a way with words.

::) Is this a positive comment? I'm not quite sure...
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
David, it looks like you are taking it personally. please don't. i'm just a bit dissapointed, just because I trust avast.
I hope the next 10 years will be error-free, as said.

I'm not taking personally, lets not lose sight of that was exactly what you were doing:
Quote from: dansorin
now we have the answer to all this, it doesn't look like anything was done

We, the users who were around at that time have seen what was changed after the the last major incident in 2009, as there has been no repeat of this major incident that directly impacted on the system. You can check the viruses and worms forum to see that digitally signed system files aren't subjected to the same actions, even if infected as other files as moving or deleting a system file could brick your system.

This is completely different in its nature as the area of this problem wasn't present in 2009.

Yes it happened in a VPS update and that is where the similarity ends, it has been identified why the FP occurred and no doubt that the validation process will be enhanced to try and prevent this particylar issue from occurring again.

If as you say you trust avast, then you shouldn't have to make the statement you did. Disappointment is so much different that not trusting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
I guess I had good timing yesterday :)

Raveen Kool

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
There is no antivirus without problems...
last year mcafee also had the same update problem they fixed it same thing the avast! did....

Also with its voice control saying THREAT HAS BEEN DETECTED will give users GOOSE BUMPS lol. ..

Rifkin

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
A guy over on the blog has some good thoughts on this whole deal, and I agree with most of it:

"An apology is always nice, but if they had bothered to TEST the update before it was released this would not have happened. I’d be glad to wait the extra five minutes it would have taken someone to have tested this update and prevented this problem, perhaps this will be a wake-up call that releasing a bad update of any kind can cause real problems. A popup on Avast.com saying something like "Notice: Avast update problem causing false infection warnings, please be advised we are working to fix the problem.", would have been a large help. The first thing I thought was someone hacked Avast’s server, let’s see bad update released stopping people from going on internet, followed by Avast’s server going offline, followed with NO information on their site? At least I had other machines without Avast! running active, so I could get on the net and a phone call to my friend told me that it was not just me. So I’m glad Avast! was not hacked, but would it have been a different outcome if they had? We depend on our software to be flawless and the people supplying it to be flawless, too. So, as this all shows, most of use don’t have real world skills that before would have stopped the panic. You know if the cable goes dead, call the company, if the phone goes dead, walk next door, if all your sites are infected after an update, try turning off the active protection or call someone else to see if it’s just you or maybe someone you know is not using Avast! and see if they are having problems? We really are in sorry shape and it shows. This is why the fake e-mail virus warnings cause so much problems."

So we're not stupid, just out of practice and more than a little insecure it seems.

My boy got the update and tried running the boot scan as we are so often told to do, which did start showing all kinds of infected files, files he knew were not infected, so he shut his system down, stopping many important files from being moved.  It would seem many others were not so lucky (see the blog).  My friends where lucky, when they realized something was wrong they either turned their machines off or did nothing until they could talk to me.  By that time I had the answers, but not everyone does twitter, facebook, blogs, forums or has someone they can ask.  People say we live in the age of communication, or as I often say, the age of miscommunication.

Nesivos

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
What was interesting is that yesterday for about 2 - 3 hours as I recall this website appeared to have been down.

I wonder if it was related to the virus definition update that appears to have caused a number of people problems.

Did Avast take this website offline during that period?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
What was interesting is that yesterday for about 2 - 3 hours as I recall this website appeared to have been down.

I wonder if it was related to the virus definition update that appears to have caused a number of people problems.

No, it was an UDDoS.  ;D
Free MBAM Clear

Nesivos

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »

No, it was an UDDoS;D

It was an Unapproved Distributed Denial of Service Attack ;D

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
Unintended.
But you got the picture. :)
Free MBAM Clear

Nesivos

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
Unintended.
But you got the picture. :)

Yea, but it wasn't a work of valuable art so I am returning it to the dealer for a full refund ;D