Author Topic: windows defender  (Read 3436 times)

ANHTHU5991

windows defender
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
is there any problem when keeping windows defender running along with avast 6

Nesivos

Re: windows defender
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »
is there any problem when keeping windows defender running along with avast 6

It should not conflict with Avast.

I use it and have never to my knowledge had a conflict.

It has caught some stuff that Avast passed on but they could have been FPs (False Positives)

Does it do any good when you have Avast?  Got me, but for me it does not appear to be causing any problems so I leave it.

ANHTHU5991

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »
currently, i disable windows defender. I just want to know why many people want to disable it when it is a small and  useful (may be) application attached to windows?

Daris

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »
Windows Defender and Avast are OK together...Just on an Avast Full scan or boot scan Avast does find a bunch of Windows Defender Files and depending on your settings could put them in Virus Chest therefore Disabling WD...Labels them as Pups I believe....I would put those files in the exclude list in Avast...The one reason I didn't like Windows Defender is because I dread Microsoft Updates on a monthly Basis...Let alone weekly or daily...I am always cautious when those updates from Microsoft come monthly and think that something else might slide in with them...But that is a personal opinion....And just Me...
Cheers!!!! and safe surfing!!!

Jack 1000

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
What I have heard is if you have a newer computer with Windows Vista or Windows 7 and a good chunk of RAM (4GB or more), Windows Defender is an average malware blocker.  It is more of a resource hog as a download for the older Windows XP.  If you are noticing slowdowns with your system, as long as Avast is activated, you can disable Windows Defender if you want.  If your computer's speed or RAM is not affected by it, you can leave it on and you'll be just fine.

It all depends on how it behaves with your current Anti-Virus software,  But remember, Windows Defender is not a substitute for your updated anti-virus software.  Before I reformatted the hard drive on my XP system, I used to have Windows Defender and other security software.  It seemed to get slower as new versions came out.  Now, I just use Avast and Malware Bytes on Demand, which works fine.

Jack

ANHTHU5991

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »
now, i use malwarebytes along with avast. i just want to dicuss together with you to have more experience.
thanks you very much

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:33:30 AM »
Windows Defender and Avast are OK together...Just on an Avast Full scan or boot scan Avast does find a bunch of Windows Defender Files and depending on your settings could put them in Virus Chest therefore Disabling WD...Labels them as Pups I believe....I would put those files in the exclude list in Avast...The one reason I didn't like Windows Defender is because I dread Microsoft Updates on a monthly Basis...Let alone weekly or daily...I am always cautious when those updates from Microsoft come monthly and think that something else might slide in with them...But that is a personal opinion....And just Me...
Cheers!!!! and safe surfing!!!

That is surprising in all the years that Windows Defender and Avast versions have been out that WD files are found on an Avast full scan.  So it is still doing that? (If anyone with WD wants to check this with Avast 6?)  This still happens even if you turn off WD in Windows 7 or Windows Vista? (Note, WD cannot be uninstalled in W7 or WV, just turned off.)

If Avast IS still picking up Windows Defender files on Boot Scans, they should be reported to Avast and MS as False Positives, so that future updates on both programs will prevent this conflict.

Jack
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:00:53 AM by Jack 1000 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
Most people do not use WD as resident, or depending on your OS do not have it installed (older machines).  I personally do not use it because it is a resource hog.  Avast and MBAM work fine for me as well as the other security software mentioned in my Signature. 

There is no know conflict with Avast and WD, but I do not see a reason why you would need to use it, especially with other security software with better detection rates like MBAM.