Author Topic: Blue Screen Crashes  (Read 17733 times)

noracharles

Blue Screen Crashes
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:31:13 AM »
We continue to get Blue screen crashes multiple times per day on our XP laptop and on TWO Vista desktops.  We have already uploaded appropriate files to this site and see no response posted.

These crashes started when Avast upgraded to 6.0.

As time permits, we plan to remove Avast from one computer and replace it with different software.  If the Blue Screen problem goes away, as we expect it will, we will make the same change on the others.

We hope that you will address this Blue Screen issue, but can no longer wait for a result.

Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Blue Screen Crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:36:17 AM »
Can you post the file names? I mean, they could find them easier in the ftp server.
Which is the driver failing? Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

noracharles

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »
I have removed Avast from two VISTA machines and replaced it with AVG - (a second choice; I like Avast's interface better).

I removed Avast from the second VISTA computer last night when, after a Blue Screen crash and recovery, I told IE to restore the previous session and the computer immediately crashed again .No problems at all today with AVG.

These crashes only occurred when I was on the internet (cable modem) and usually have several pages open at once.  They only started after the Avast 6.0  (and 6.0144) upgrades. 

Yes, I sent dump files to the FTP site last week.

Since I have the same programs loaded on both my Vista and XP machines, I assume there is some sort of conflict between the new Avast and a program that relates to the internet.  I further assume that since the Blue Screen reports are sporatic, the conflict relates to a more unusual program rather than a common (Microsoft) program.

The two I can think of in my case are Internet Download Manager and MPLAYER for WINDOWS (SMPLAYER).

If anyone has any suspicious programs or processes that they think many be causing these crashes, I'll be happy to see if they are running on my computers. 

Thank you.

noracharles

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
UPDATE -

After removal of Avast from both VISTA computers, my Blue Screen crashes went from about one per hour to ZERO over the last 24 hours.

There is clearly a software? compatibility issue here and management needs to take it seriously. 

nc     

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
What other real time security are you running?

noracharles

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:38:32 PM »
Running Windows Defender.  Nothing else. 

nc

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
sorry, but I couldn't find you uploaded files on ftp... could you please reupload them or post their names here? thx

noracharles

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:08 AM »
Don't have the xp ones any more and don't remember the names; and I think the Vista ones were stripped when I changed AV programs.

Anyhow, I'm sure you will get lots to look at.  Just be aware that there is probably some sort of software or process conflict and while it probably relates to the internet, it may NOT be a security program.  My gut feel is that you should be looking at download managers.

nc

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »
You could always view the bluescreen with Blue Screen View. I use on my PC and it works well.  http://download.cnet.com/BlueScreenView/3000-2094_4-10965136.html  I wonder if the others agree that the program is good to use. :P
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Saucer

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
I've had the same problem - blue screen. It started in March and has gotten progressively worse. Just want to follow this thread. May have to change AV programs. I do like Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
I've had the same problem - blue screen. It started in March and has gotten progressively worse. Just want to follow this thread. May have to change AV programs. I do like Avast.

Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip), rename it with an unique name, them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Disable Automatic Restart:
System Properties > Advanced > [Startup and Recovery]Settings
Remove the checkmark from "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section.

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
BSODs: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/

Manual dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
More info: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html.
The best things in life are free.

Stickings90

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
I have mentioned this on the facebook group. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne

My system is an Advent I got from PC World in 2009 and runs Vista Home Premium

In August I had a power failure and in September I was getting BSOD of various types, and when I went to the Tech Guys I was told to bring it in as the man there said under a maintenance contract I could get get it investigated on that including a system restore and data backup. All seemed fine, including using AVAST until December when there was another power failure whilst my desktop was on. It seemed that I had got away with it, when in February after putting in a commemorative CD-ROM with autorun I had to do a hard shutdown and later that evening I had a failure on start up. After the machine did a start up recovery, from a program the PC World Tech Guys had put on.

It seemed fine until late March when I had  to use that CD-ROM again for a multi-media project, on a Saturday. Then on the Sunday and on the Monday I got BSOD on start up with the error, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, the same as in February (Given by Bluescreen Viewer, which I have on a memory stick)

It seemed to be clear until Sunday 17 April, when I got the same error. This was also the weekend that saw a large load of Microsoft updates!. After consulting with PC World on the phone, and one at another store, they suggested the power failure in December could have caused a fault to progressively develop. One suggested a hard drive fault.

This time I was told my service level agreement did not include the service I got in September, so after getting someone from church help me take it in, I had to pay nearly £60 for restore and data back up. I was told it may have to go south. On Saturday I was rung up to collect it, and so with help of same church person collected it on Monday.

After booting it up I thought the first thing I had to do was reinstall AVAST from a copy on my memory stick I had downloaded from the official website. After installing the free version, I was invited to follow on  Twitter but when I tried, and a browser was opened I got a Blue Screen.

I subsequently got two more blue screens and below are the results of the dmp file

Code: [Select]
==================================================
Dump File         : Mini042511-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 25/04/2011 16:17:41
Bug Check String  : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code    : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1       : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2       : 0x00393339
Parameter 3       : 0xaf4ceb68
Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver  :
Caused By Address :
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : 32-bit
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042511-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 6002
Dump File Size    : 139,288

Dump File         : Mini042511-02.dmp
Crash Time        : 25/04/2011 17:10:57
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1       : 0x0000000d
Parameter 2       : 0x00000002
Parameter 3       : 0x00000001
Parameter 4       : 0x91c8b03d
Caused By Driver  : aswSP.SYS
Caused By Address : aswSP.SYS+2003d
File Description  : avast! self protection module
Product Name      : avast! Antivirus System
Company           : AVAST Software
File Version      : 6.0.1091.0
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042511-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini042511-03.dmp
Crash Time        : 25/04/2011 17:17:35
Bug Check String  : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000050
Parameter 1       : 0xb10ad704
Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
Parameter 3       : 0x8b01a8d9
Parameter 4       : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver  : fltmgr.sys
Caused By Address : fltmgr.sys+2ffb
File Description  : Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042511-03.dmp

I got through to PC World and spoke to the salesperson and the impression I got from speaking with my elder sister was I might have a hardware problem with the hard drive, even though they said at PC world they had tested it and found no issue. I am due to take it in back to PC World with the person from church and I have a copy of this dmp file to give them.

After reading this thread, I am now feeling sick with worry that PC World may blame AVAST and instead of promising to refund me the £60, charge me another £60 to clear up the mess Avast has done to my system.

I have never had problems with Avast before and used it on an XP machine as well as my desktop. I use avast on my laptop and have never had an issue or any blue screens. It is also Vista, although it is Vist Home Basic and like my desktop it is a 32 bit machine. The only difference is that my laptop came from John Lewis and never PC World / Curry's Digital

I am Stickings90 on Twitter, please can you advise if I should be expecting a large bill again from PC World, as although I have not mentioned I have this printout from BlueScreen Viewer, I am probably duty bound to tell them, and they may ask me about the antivirus as well. (PC World try and push Norton)

Edited to add

If they look at the dmp file the second one will mention Avast as the villain of the piece
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:30:48 AM by Stickings90 »

joiwind

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »
I had 'nearly' the same problem when updating from 6.0.1000 through the gui to 6.0.1091 and re-booting : BSOD implicating aswsp.sys - I tried re-booting a few times but still got the BSOD so I went back to 6.0.1000 and I'm staying there for now.

No other real-time security apart from PrivateFirewall.

Stickings90

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
So it looks like PC World will hit me for another bill of £60?  :o :'(

joiwind

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Could be ....?  :(

By the way, aswsp.sys caused problems way back with avast 4 and up through 5 to 6 - do a search here on the forum : 8 pages