Author Topic: MY safe zone browser hijacked! goes to fake google  (Read 75919 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: MY safe zone browser hijacked! goes to fake google
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
SafeZone works just fine on my XP Pro system.

So..??? >:(
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

BTCentral

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
I never had this problem either - but I wonder if it was the result of their secure DNS servers being hijacked?
If so that's quite concerning.

Hermite15

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
SafeZone works just fine on my XP Pro system.

thanks for being as helpful as usual ::)

dagrev

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
OK, I checked and I'm also having this problem.  I used it a few days ago and it was fine.  Did some banking so I sure hope I didn't send personal info to hackers which is now all around the world.

One other thing is that SZ is a little dim and not as bright as normal.  

Are you still having this problem? My SZ seems to be ok now.. And yeah it was a bit dimmer than normal (dont know if it has anything to do with whats going on though- the brightness I mean)

Yes, still having this problem.  Mine used to take time as well but now the browser opes fast, then I get this message:

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://program.avast.com/api/?action=2&p_elm=15 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.

If I try google I get the fake site mentioned above.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:53:29 PM by dagrev »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
Yes, still having this problem.  Mine used to take time as well but now the browser opes fast, then I get this message:

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://program.avast.com/api/?action=2&p_elm=15 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.

Thats what I got too.. Please dont reset your SZ because they might find something helpful in the current settings as Logos said.. I reset mine before reading his post.. anyway All is well with mine now.. Weird though.. because only a few got this problem and they get it at different times  :-\
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Hermite15

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
I never had this problem either - but I wonder if it was the result of their secure DNS servers being hijacked?

can't see anything else tbh... main thing differentiating the SZ browser from the others is that Avast DNS server... + we're seeing people reporting re-directions, which is typical of DNS poisoning.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »

can't see anything else tbh... main thing differentiating the SZ browser from the others is that Avast DNS server... + we're seeing people reporting re-directions, which is typical of DNS poisoning.

Do you reckon I should inform my bank about a possibility of my online account being hacked? Going to change the password now but I did some online banking earlier when this problem was reported.. Like I said I got the error for the homepage, I didnt try opening google, I entered my bank's web address.. but at the time this problem was there..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »

Do you reckon I should inform my bank about a possibility of my online account being hacked? Going to change the password now but I did some online banking earlier when this problem was reported.. Like I said I got the error for the homepage, I didnt try opening google, I entered my bank's web address.. but at the time this problem was there..

Not sure.
If it was DNS-hacking / redirecting, wouldn't it be done in a way that users won't notice?
I mean it's too obvious somehow.

I tend to believe that some admin messed up the settings...

But surely you should close-watch your checkings-account movements in the next days and altering the passwords is never a wrong thing.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »

Not sure.
If it was DNS-hacking / redirecting, wouldn't it be done in a way that users won't notice?
I mean it's too obvious somehow.

I tend to believe that some admin messed up the settings...

But surely you should close-watch your checkings-account movements in the next days and altering the passwords is never a wrong thing.

Yeah will do that, already changed the password as well.. I just wanted to know if anything else could be done before something happens (IF the account details were hacked) before its too late? but like you said this seems to be too obvious..

I have a feeling that someone did it to get users to have doubts about SZ! (Its certainly working!!)

Hermite15

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
just some info...sounds like Avast uses mailshell.net servers for this DNS service

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »
Ok its messed up again.. Now also being redirected to the fake sites  :-\ No news from Avast mods yet?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
I've been informed of the following by a representative of Avast when I asked about this situation:
"Our technical guys are already monitoring what's going on ..thank you !"
Hopefully once resolved, we'll also get a response as to what caused the problem and how it was resolved.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Hermite15

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
I've been informed of the following by a representative of Avast when I asked about this situation:
"Our technical guys are already monitoring what's going on ..thank you !"
Hopefully once resolved, we'll also get a response as to what caused the problem and how it was resolved.

thx Bob... yeah hopefully... they can't just tell us that the issue was solved somehow (when it will be solved)... people are relying on the SafeZone for online banking etc... so we must absolutely know what happened exactly.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »
This
"Our technical guys are already monitoring what's going on"
somehow in my ears translates to
"We don't have a f...... clue what's wrong there at the moment."
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

dagrev

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
It takes time to find a problem, but I agree.

I think they should do something disable the service until it's fixed so no one or no more get harmed by what might happen.  I little post-proactive action would be a good idea.

Not sure what the finial cause will be but I seriously question SZ now.  Think until it's proven itself I'll just use FF with Trusteer (free) safe connection for secure banking, etc.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:31:59 PM by dagrev »