Author Topic: MY safe zone browser hijacked! goes to fake google  (Read 75517 times)

Nesivos

Re: MY safe zone browser hijacked! goes to fake google
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
Press release on new new Mailshell DNS Service

Mailshell’s New Encrypted DNS Service Secures Online Banking and Password Security
Mailshell today introduced Mailshell DNS, the first DNS service with military-grade encryption.

San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) February 13, 2011

Mailshell, the leading provider of Internet security engines for OEMs, today introduced Mailshell DNS, the first DNS service with military-grade encryption. This new DNS service closes DNS’ primary security hole and strengthens the security of all web sites. It relies on secure AES 256-bit encryption that would, according to Verisign, require trillions of years to crac

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/02/prweb5064014.htm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:43:13 PM by Nesivos »

dagrev

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
Press release on new new Mailshell DNS Service

Mailshell’s New Encrypted DNS Service Secures Online Banking and Password Security
Mailshell today introduced Mailshell DNS, the first DNS service with military-grade encryption.

It relies on secure AES 256-bit encryption that would, according to Verisign, require trillions of years to crac

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/02/prweb5064014.htm

Or a couple weeks whichever comes first! ;D

If this was the problem, might as well have some fun to add to the pain.

Hermite15

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »
just wrote that to a friend:

"DNS poisoning is pretty rare,and bad - well I never saw it happen, neither with my ISP, nor with a third party DNS, and seeing it happening precisely with a supposed to be so secure tool - ie the safezone - not even sure if that's funny... but that's ridiculous"

May be an option for the future >>> leave to the user the choice of the DNS server used in the SZ ;)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »
Logos, mon ami,
you are neglecting your french forum badly...  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
Logos, mon ami,
you are neglecting your french forum badly...  ;D

I never really took care of it, it's not "my" forum ;D

edit: glad to see you're doing a good job there ;)

dagrev

« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
SZ is working for me now.  I don't now why.  I did just install the massive MS patch update, but don't know that this had anything to do with it.  Still won't be doing any banking with it anytime soon even if it keeps working.

Hermite15

« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
SZ is working for me now.  I don't now why.  I did just install the massive MS patch update, but don't know that this had anything to do with it.  Still won't be doing any banking with it anytime soon even if it keeps working.

yeah that is just what I meant, even if it works fine again...that's Avast SafeZone security versus your bank account safety... who wants to take the risk... and I'm going to take it a step further, Avast should remove the safe zone from AIS... at least for a while... a matter of respect for the users, and a matter of saving the company's reputation. What happened is not good.

disPlay

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »

yeah that is just what I meant, even if it works fine again...that's Avast SafeZone security versus your bank account safety... who wants to take the risk... and I'm going to take it a step further, Avast should remove the safe zone from AIS... at least for a while... a matter of respect for the users, and a matter of saving the company's reputation. What happened is not good.
Agree with you Logos.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »
Mailshell DNS guys confirmed that they have already fixed the problem:

We've tracked the problem down to a corrupt DNS cache on one DNS HTTP servers.
    This is why it was seen by some users but not others.  We have disabled the bad server and the DNS HTTP service should now be returning correct data.

I again apologize for the trouble this has caused your users and we will take steps to ensure this does not happen again

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »

This is why it was seen by some users but not others.  We have disabled the bad server and the DNS HTTP service should now be returning correct data.

I again apologize for the trouble this has caused your users and we will take steps to ensure this does not happen again

Good news!
No hijacking or DNS poisoning.
This has to be communicated widely in order to re-establish trust.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Good news!
No hijacking or DNS poisoning.
This has to be communicated widely in order to re-establish trust.

oh just a corrupt cache? ;D  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning

what was the nature of the corruption?

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
"To perform a cache poisoning attack, the attacker exploits a flaw in the DNS software. If the server does not correctly validate DNS responses to ensure that they are from an authoritative source (for example by using DNSSEC) the server will end up caching the incorrect entries locally and serve them to other users that make the same request.
This technique can be used to direct users of a website to another site of the attacker's choosing. For example, an attacker spoofs the IP address DNS entries for a target website on a given DNS server, replacing them with the IP address of a server he controls. He then creates files on the server he controls with names matching those on the target server. These files could contain malicious content, such as a computer worm or a computer virus. A user whose computer has referenced the poisoned DNS server would be tricked into accepting content coming from a non-authentic server and unknowingly download malicious content."
Considering the nature of the service offered, shouldn't measures have been in place to make sure that couldn't happen ???
This reminds me of building a Nuclear Power plant on a fault zone. Not a wise move.  :'(

I will still use SafeZone because I think that Avast will now be making doubly sure this sort of thing never happens again as I hope Comodo learned from their mistake.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:56:42 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Jack 1000

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »
I don't have a Pro version of Avast, but have a security question about this issue,

Would a HiJackThis log file be able to assist in this situation or not?

Jack

YoKenny

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
I don't have a Pro version of Avast, but have a security question about this issue,

Would a HiJackThis log file be able to assist in this situation or not?
Not on Vista nor Windows 7 systems as HijackThis is obsolete!

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:16 AM »

Considering the nature of the service offered, shouldn't measures have been in place to make sure that couldn't happen ???
This reminds me of building a Nuclear Power plant on a fault zone. Not a wise move.  :'(

I will still use SafeZone because I think that Avast will now be making doubly sure this sort of thing never happens again as I hope Comodo learned from their mistake.

exactly!
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)