Author Topic: Pc Id compromised  (Read 10779 times)

amaru

Pc Id compromised
« on: October 01, 2004, 01:11:55 AM »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has encountered the problem I am having.
The system I'm using is Windows 2000 Pro.  It has *** the Microsoft fixes up to date.  The PC is a Toshiba Tecra 8500 laptop.  *** the problems that I have been having started when I switched from dial up to DSL from Verizon.
I have spent an enormous amount of time chasing virii, worms, trojans, Etc. Etc.  I feel confident now that I got rid of *** of these nasty critters, except for one.
This is the scenario:

1. I am running Avast antivirus software that is tot***y up to date as far as its virii data bank and its software is concerned.
2. I am also running ZoneAlarm Pro as a fire w***. These two programs seem to be doing their job.
3. I bring up my browser (Opera ver 7.54) set to accept cookies.
4. I then go to the Yahoo web site to log into my account.
5. I get back from Yahoo a message that says that my account id is invalid and shows the account id I supposedly typed.  This account id has the second third and fourth letters shown as asterisks.
6. I did the same thing for Opera mail and again the problem with the invalid account id came up.
7. I also tried to do a search on Google of the account id I have for Yahoo just for the fun of it.  The results I got back from Google showed a page full of things relating to my account id with the first, second and third letters changed to asterisks.

Now, what is peculiar to this problem is that my PC id is almost the same has my log on id on the accounts where the account id gets corrupted.
Let me give an example:

Let us say that the PC id is K***achj. ( You set/see your PC id by right clicking the computer icon and going to its properties entry on the menu that is then displayed ).  Let us also say that my Yahoo account id is k***achj01 and that my Opera mail account is k***achj02.  When I try to log onto Yahoo and type my account id of k***achj01, Yahoo comes back and says that I have typed k***ach01.  So does Opera and so does Google.
As long as I stay on the internet and I type anything having the letters "***" (which are part of the PC id) they get changed to "***" i.e. "t*** ships" become "t*** ships", "c*** friends" becomes "c*** friends", ."inst*** software" becomes "inst*** software".
What I have done is change my PC id to "ÂÊÎÔÛÂÊÎÔÛ" and re booted the PC.
Then I when to the internet again and tried to log on to Yahoo etc.  The problem has not changed.  That is "***" still being changed to "***".

Please help anybody.
Mahalo
Amaru

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Pc Id compromised
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:17:58 AM »
the problems that I have been having started when I switched from dial up to DSL from Verizon.
Looks like the software from verizon is the problem.

In your post you have a lot of asterixs ("*"), looks like your keyboard is broken.

Try another keyboard and enter your pw and other stuff and let us know if the problem is solved.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:18:45 AM by Eddy »

amaru

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 01:21:20 AM »
Hi,
The system I'm using is Windows 2000 Pro.  It has *****  the Microsoft fixes up to date.  The PC is a Toshiba Tecra 8500 laptop.  *****  the problems that I have been having started when I switched from dial up to DSL from Verizon.
I have spent an enormous amount of time chasing virii, worms, trojans, Etc. Etc.  I feel confident now that I got rid of *****  of these nasty critters, except for one.
This is the scenario:

1. I am running Avast antivirus software that is tot***** y up to date as far as its virii data bank and its software is concerned.
2. I am also running ZoneAlarm Pro as a fire w***** . These two programs seem to be doing their job.
5. I get back from Yahoo a message that says that my account id is invalid and shows the account id I supposedly typed.  This account id has the second third and fourth letters shown as asterisks.
6. I did the same thing for Opera mail and again the problem with the invalid account id came up.
7. I also tried to do a search on Google of the account id I have for Yahoo just for the fun of it.  The results I got back from Google showed a page full of things relating to my account id with the first, second and third letters changed to asterisks.

Now, what is peculiar to this problem is that my PC id is almost the same has my log on id on the accounts where the account id gets corrupted.
Let me give an example:

Let us say that the PC id is K***** achj. ( You set/see your PC id by right clicking the computer icon and going to its properties entry on the menu that is then displayed ).  Let us also say that my Yahoo account id is k***** achj01 and that my Opera mail account is k***** achj02.  When I try to log onto Yahoo and type my account id of k***** achj01, Yahoo comes back and says that I have typed k***ach01.  So does Opera and so does Google.
As long as I stay on the internet and I type anything having the letters "***** " (which are part of the PC id) they get changed to "***" i.e. "t*****  ships" become "t*** ships", "c*****  friends" becomes "c*** friends", ."inst*****  software" becomes "inst*** software".
Then I when to the internet again and tried to log on to Yahoo etc.  The problem has not changed.  That is "***** " still being changed to "***".

Please help anybody.
Mahalo
Amaru

I have re posted the original message because the problem I have happens even on this forum.  I got around it by spacing the letters that get changed to asterisks.
Now you can see the probelm more clearly.
Thanks,
Amaru

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:23:14 AM »
a=* l=* l=* but it types upper case a allright as A, must be a crossword keyboard Eddy!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:42:28 AM »
I may be wrong, but it looks like you have a hardware or driver error Amaru. Personally I thing it is the first one.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:59:59 AM »
amaru,
try typing this as a reply

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog

amaru

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 02:03:43 AM »
Hi,
I'm on the internet via a dial up on a different PC to be able to post the text of my problem correctly:

Here we go again.
Hi,
The system I'm using is Windows 2000 Pro.  It has all the Microsoft fixes up to date.  The PC is a Toshiba Tecra 8500 laptop.  All the problems that I have been having started when I switched from dial up to DSL from Verizon.
I have spent an enormous amount of time chasing virii, worms, trojans, Etc. Etc.  I feel confident now that I got rid of all of these nasty critters, except for one.
This is the scenario:

1. I am running Avast antivirus software that is totally up to date as far as its virii data bank and its software is concerned.
2. I am also running ZoneAlarm Pro as a fire wall. These two programs seem to be doing their job.

Let me give an example:

Let us say that the PC id is Kallachj. ( You set/see your PC id by right clicking the computer icon and going to its properties entry on the menu that is then displayed ).  Let us also say that my Yahoo account id is kallachj01 and that my Opera mail account is kallachj02.  When I try to log onto Yahoo and type my account id of kallachj01, Yahoo comes back and says that I have typed k***ach01.  So does Opera and so does Google.
As long as I stay on the internet and I type anything having the letters "all" (which are part of the PC id) they get changed to "***" i.e. "tall ships" become "t*** ships", "call friends" becomes "c*** friends", ."install software" becomes "inst*** software".
Then I when to the internet again and tried to log on to Yahoo etc.  The problem has not changed.  That is "all" still being changed to "***".

Please help anybody.
Mahalo
Amaru

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 02:30:00 AM »
Can't seem to find your model on Toshiba's website.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 11:00:17 AM »
Very strange thing. Can't recall having seen a malware causing this. Please post a HijackThis log here, just to see if there is something strange in it.

Gene Johnson

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 02:26:23 PM »
I also have yahoo as my email and home page. I also have Opera on my machine but when I tried to make Yahoo the home page on the Opera browser, I found out that Yahoo will not work in the Opera browser. Search the MY Opera forum for confirmation on this. I finally had to go back to The IE browser to use Yahoo.

Edit: changed search Yahoo to search My Opera
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 04:25:33 PM by Gene J »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 03:13:20 PM »
Both the Yahoo pages and the Yahoo mail work without problems in Opera. Looks like your system  is hosed.

Gene Johnson

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 04:33:18 PM »
Eddy: There are a lot of people on the My Opera forum who would like to know how to do that. So far the only solution they have found is to use an IE emulator. There are current threads there talking about this very subject. If I could copy/paste between browsers I would show the link. Please share with me how to do that, as I would like Opera as my default browser. Each time I try to set Yahoo as my home page in Opera, it pops up a screen that says I need to update to IE6.0 which I already have.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 04:40:25 PM »
Just install Opera with Java and it works like a charm. That is the only thing I did.

Gene Johnson

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 04:48:16 PM »
Eddy, I believe I did that also. Is the dutch version capable but the english not? I wonder what the difference is? On the My Opera threads the only e-mail and home page problems they talk about are with Yahoo. No one there seems to have a simple solution. Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 05:03:59 PM »
Language shouldn't make a difference. I'm using the Dutch Opera 7.23 build 3227 (registered) with Sun Java 1.4. XP-Pro with SP2 and all security patches. Never had a problem with Yahoo. Perhaps one of the mime types isn't correct(?)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 05:06:01 PM by Eddy »