Author Topic: PC won't fully boot after boot-time scan  (Read 1797 times)

Spooner

PC won't fully boot after boot-time scan
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »
Hi all.

I'm very happy with avast!, I've used it for several years and find it much better than most.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on my recent experience with a boot-time scan. 

I'm using avast 6.1000 on an XP pro SP3 pc. I did a full scan in Windows, which found an infection and avast suggested a boot-time scan. I did a boot-time scan and eventually went to bed, leaving it running. When I got up, the pc had rebooted and crashed some way through loading the desktop. Further attempts at booting produced freeze ups at various places in the boot process, including in safe mode. Last known good didn't work, nor did SFC and I eventually put in another HDD & reinstalled Windows, thinking that the original HDD had failed. However, it tests ok and I am wondering what can have gone wrong as the avast boot scan log doesn't show any system files moved to the chest (though it did move some restore point files so I had none to restore from - maybe I shouldn't have selected "move all to chest" when I went to bed).

If anyone can shed further light on what may have happened, I'd be grateful as at the moment I'm not sure about using the boot-time scan should I need to again.

All the best,

Spooner 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: PC won't fully boot after boot-time scan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:53:03 AM »
avast at boot time does not send files to Chest automatically (unless you've deliberately set so).
But if system files are sent to Chest, indeed you can have troubles. avast uses more than one check to avoid this situation (but it is still possible).
The best things in life are free.