Author Topic: avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.  (Read 22634 times)

mustangladee

Re: avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 04:17:50 AM »
Thanks. I will try to disable what you said. I am having a problem since I installed the avast and I have checked both the avast and the firewall to try and solve it but can't seem to figure out what is causing it. My Outlook Express will not allow me to read my email. It just says that there are no emails and then when I click on any of the buttons (i.e. send/receive, etc.) it freezes up on me. The curser turns into the hour glass and that is it. Also, my Yahoo Messenger will not open. It won't even come up on the screen. Any suggestions?

urocyon

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
Greetings.  Same problem here - RPC error - but I am unable to uninstall Avast!  I can't even get to the point of a new installation.  From the control panel, I only get a screen flash when I try to uninstall.  'Repair' is not an option.  WinXP, SP2, updates up to date; any suggestions?
Tanx,
Uro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »
Thanks. I will try to disable what you said. I am having a problem since I installed the avast and I have checked both the avast and the firewall to try and solve it but can't seem to figure out what is causing it. My Outlook Express will not allow me to read my email. It just says that there are no emails and then when I click on any of the buttons (i.e. send/receive, etc.) it freezes up on me. The curser turns into the hour glass and that is it. Also, my Yahoo Messenger will not open. It won't even come up on the screen. Any suggestions?
Maybe you should remove the avast entries into Outpost settings (programs allowed) and try allowing the following programs to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Greetings.  Same problem here - RPC error - but I am unable to uninstall Avast!  I can't even get to the point of a new installation.  From the control panel, I only get a screen flash when I try to uninstall.  'Repair' is not an option.  WinXP, SP2, updates up to date; any suggestions?
Tanx,
Uro
It would be better to start a new thread just for your problem, we can help from there.

mustangladee

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
Ok... I disabled the features in Outpost Firewall that you suggested and now my Outlook Express and Yahoo Messenger work just fine. However..., when I rebooted after making the changes it totally changed my log on screen..., but that is no big deal. I can live with that. My main concern is are you sure that my computer is completely protected now that I have disabled those features in the firewall? I went for a year without the residential providers working in avast and my firewall still protected me very, very well. Just want to make sure that it is totally safe because I do a lot of work on my computer that needs to stay inaccessible. Thanks once again for you help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »
I think what David has posted is safe, i.e., disabling the antispyware tool of the firewall. You're very good covered by avast.

About the logon change, it shouldn't mess anything... what does exactly happened?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »
Well when I disabled those features it didn't do anything to my log-on on my old system (also XP Pro) I had to click my user account and enter my password.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nordwind

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Greeting from Germany. I've the same problem with the notification and no idea to solve it. All I can read here I've done and try. Install and reinstall, formated the harddrive, setup several times a new windows xp. No success. The red button don't disappears.

The next time, I startet the computer, something strange happens: the red button disappears. Then it works for a while.
After a while the red dot is back. I don't no what happened.
I'm desperate and helpless. Somebody has an idea?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
The next time, I startet the computer, something strange happens: the red button disappears. Then it works for a while.
After a while the red dot is back. I don't no what happened.
Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
If so, how did you remove it?

If you never had other antivirus in this machine, I suggest full computer on-line scanning, because your avast installation seems corrupted (maybe Bagle/Beagle infection):
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)

mustangladee

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »
The person who built my computer for me installed a special log on background screen. It was silver with a big XP Pro in the middle of the it. On the left upper corner it had a blue butterfly with "Elaine's World" next to it. It also told me how many unopened Hotmail emails I had received since the last time I checked my email. I would have to click on the "Elaine's World" to log on to my computer. Now I get what I assume must be the default blue Windows log on screen. Still have to click on a butterfly to log on though. This blue screen is divided down the middle with a small Windows logo on the left side and the butterfly on the right side.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
I would imagine that your special log-on background screen might have required that your desktop was set to active desktop ?

I don't think that this would be easy for you to replicate so you might have to contact him again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »
mustangladee, did you run the on-line scanning I've posted before? Which are the results?

mustangladee

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »
No... I did not run the online scanner. That post was made after I had already got my avast working. I don't really see a reason to run it now since everything seems to be working fine. I can live with not having a customized log on page. I am just happy to have the avast and the firewall working together! Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »
I had already got my avast working.
Is it really fully working?
You can use other tools to be sure you're clean (if you're infected the avast installation even correctly could not solve all the troubles...). Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

nordwind

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
If so, how did you remove it?

If you never had other antivirus in this machine, I suggest full computer on-line scanning, because your avast installation seems corrupted (maybe Bagle/Beagle infection):

The Scanning don't work, because another antivirus is on my machine. I think, I have to deinstall avast firtly. A second problem is java. I can't install java on my computer.