Author Topic: Script Blocking  (Read 7467 times)

PPG

Script Blocking
« on: October 01, 2004, 02:42:59 AM »
I recently upgraded my Norton 2002 AntiVirus to 2004.  Like a lot of people, I find that it slows my system performance down considerably.  I'm still within the 60 day refund period and I'm considering taking Symantec up on that.  I've been doing some research on the web and Avast Home sounds like a good possibility.  My concern is the lack of Script Blocking in the free Home version.  How important is Script Blocking?  Norton has it, as do most of the other major antivirus softwares.  Will the lack of the SB make a significant impact on the degree of protection I''m getting.  Thanks for any feedback.

inthewildteam

Re:Script Blocking
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 02:52:52 AM »
PPG from a user of avast! home edition having used Symantec products a long time ago........... you have come here to find some answers to questions you have, from a personal point of view ......... avast! and the user forums beat Symantec hands down.  It's just a personal thing, but I'd never go back.

If you decide to remove your anti-virus protection, do a search first so you can understand how to completely remove the Symantec solution before trying another anti-virus!   :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 02:54:06 AM by inthewildteam »

mikedallos

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 03:01:55 AM »
PPG from a user of avast! home edition having used Symantec products a long time ago........... you have come here to find some answers to questions you have, from a personal point of view ......... avast! and the user forums beat Symantec hands down.  It's just a personal thing, but I'd never go back.

If you decide to remove your anti-virus protection, do a search first so you can understand how to completely remove the Symantec solution before trying another anti-virus!   :)

Agreed........Q.E.D.

PPG

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the responses.  But, do you have an opinion, specifically, on the of lack of Script Blocking in the Home edition -- something Avast felt was important enough to include in the Pro (paid) version?  I'm just concerned that the lack of it might leave me more vulnerable in certain areas, areas that Script Blocking is desinged to protect.  Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 03:15:25 AM »
How important is Script Blocking?

It's very important. Will block malware scripts from running in your system.
But, fortunatelly, you can use (for free) in conjunction with avast:

ScriptSentry: http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/downloads/ScriptSentry.zip
or AnalogX Script Defender: http://www.analogx.com/files/sdefendi.exe

These programs will intercept any request to execute the most common scripting types used in virus attacks, such as Visual Basic Scripting (.VBS), Java Script (.JS), etc and can even be configured to intercept new script extensions as needed! It's very simple to use and helps to ensure that you do not inadvertently run a script no matter what email program you use, or even if you get it via another method.

I used NAV in the past  :-*
I still ask for sorry because of this  ;D
The best things in life are free.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 03:20:59 AM »
You beat me to the reply Technical

Must be a family thing?

PPG when you have time, read some posts in this forum.  Not just about viri, but the off topic and general threads.     :)

You won't find the same level of support anywhere else.

PPG

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:27:49 AM »
Ok.  Cool.  Thanks a lot.  But let me ask you this.  If I use Avast Home and then in addition install one of the dedicated Script Blockers that you recommended, will the combination of both of these programs put the same drain on System Resources (slowing my computer) that I've been experiencing with Norton 2004 Antivirus?  In other words, will there be any significant improvement there, if I use both Avast and a Script Blocker?

Thanks.

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 03:35:04 AM »
PPG,
I currently don't run Symantec's "bloatware" programme but why not try the suggestions here?  If the speed increase isn't noticable at least you will know you won't have lots of registry keys to manually delete after the trial.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:57:03 AM »
If I use Avast Home and then in addition install one of the dedicated Script Blockers that you recommended, will the combination of both of these programs put the same drain on System Resources (slowing my computer) that I've been experiencing with Norton 2004 Antivirus?

No way...
avast use less resources than NAV and the Script Blockers won't even be noticed...

In other words, will there be any significant improvement there, if I use both Avast and a Script Blocker?

Better than resources, you must 'discover' avast...  ;)

PPG

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 04:26:48 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help.  I appreciate it.

watchthisspace

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 04:52:42 AM »
How important is Script Blocking?

It's very important. Will block malware scripts from running in your system.
But, fortunatelly, you can use (for free) in conjunction with avast:

ScriptSentry: http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/downloads/ScriptSentry.zip
or AnalogX Script Defender: http://www.analogx.com/files/sdefendi.exe

These programs will intercept any request to execute the most common scripting types used in virus attacks, such as Visual Basic Scripting (.VBS), Java Script (.JS), etc and can even be configured to intercept new script extensions as needed! It's very simple to use and helps to ensure that you do not inadvertently run a script no matter what email program you use, or even if you get it via another method.

I used NAV in the past  :-*
I still ask for sorry because of this  ;D
Which script blocker is better?

Watchthisspace

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 02:21:54 PM »
Which script blocker is better?

You can try both  ;D
AnalogX Script Defender warn me less than ScriptSentry. I prefer AnalogX, runs quietly without boring too much with things that are not specifically scripts. I think each application should done its own job (and only this)  ;)