Author Topic: Unable to Open Graphics  (Read 11466 times)

DevinElizabeth

Re: Unable to Open Graphics
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:54:50 AM »
Okay, I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it.  Right now I am able to open the graphics.  Fingers crossed.  Initially, they opened for me when I first downloaded and installed Avast a few days ago.  Here's hoping...

Thanks for your help.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
Use the version from my signature, click on the bold "Free".
Run the downloaded installer file, it's a stable pre-release version of Avast 6.0.1044.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

DevinElizabeth

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
Well, that fix was short lived.  This morning I'm back to square 1 - unable to open graphics.  Avast pops up with possible dangerous file.  Whether I choose open in sandbox or open normally, my computer hangs.

I think I'm finishe with Avast unless someone can help me.

Dieselman

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Please add those files to the exclusions as I have previously stated. Also did you select "Remember my choice"? Exclude them from the behavior shield and file shields.

DevinElizabeth

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
Add those firewall to the exclusions. Every av company has a way of adding exclusions.

I'm not sure what files you're referring to and where or how to add them to exclusions. (I'm a 'senior' and not very computer savy!)  In other words, I need step by step instructions!
LOL

Okay, I found Exclusions, Browse in Avast... but not sure where to browse or what I'm browsing for.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:37:58 PM by DevinElizabeth »

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
What ever files Avast is detecting then just exclude those files. Open up Avast and click on file shield advanced then find the exclusions. Add that program there and do the same for the behavior shield. Reboot and see what happens. When you get a prompt from the sandbox it gives the option to remember your choice thus preventing this from happening again.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
I would presume that it is IrfanView that Avast regards as "potentially dangerous" since that is the default graphics viewer.
So maybe it would just be enough to add Irfanview.exe (if that is the name of the executable, which I don't know) to the exclusion lists of Behaviour Shield and AutoSandbox.

Just a guess though.
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »
I would presume that it is IrfanView that Avast regards as "potentially dangerous" since that is the default graphics viewer.

IV runs here without problems, don't think that it's the program itself.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »

IV runs here without problems, don't think that it's the program itself.

I see. I don't run IV. Maybe he has an older Version of IV? It can't possibly the graphic files themselves, no way I could imagine that.
Free MBAM Clear

DevinElizabeth

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »
I have now added IV and my firewall(ZA) to both exclusions... no change.  I still cannot open graphics.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
What extension is the graphic file you want to open? .jpg?
What program do you expect to open to view the file?

Can you do a screenshot of the Avast pop-up and post it here? Just push "Print screen" on your keyboard and the screenshot will be saved in the clipboard and you can insert that in any graphics program, whatever.
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 05:26:37 PM »
I see. I don't run IV. Maybe he has an older Version of IV? It can't possibly the graphic files themselves, no way I could imagine that.

Sorry, I'm short of time now, will come back here later.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DevinElizabeth

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
 I cannot even take a screen shot now -- the minute I click on the graphic, the puter hangs... can't even get to the Avast warning that pops up anymore.

The first time I actually got the Avast pop-up warning it when I try to open a graphic  it stated could be a dangerous file and suggests opening it in the Sandbox or open normally or abort(whatever the word was.

I'm in the process of downloading AVG in hopes that I'll be okay with that program. If not, I'll be back!

Thanks for trying.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
Well, sorry your giving up, but understandable.
However, there is something wrong with your puter that is not Avast-related, so while AVG may run without symptoms, the deeper problem will still persist.

Anyway, good luck.  :)
Free MBAM Clear

Dieselman

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »
You need to uninstall Avast first but keep in mind that AVG's detection rate is a lot lower then Avast's. Why did you check off "Remember" when you get the alert then open it normally? Sounds to me as though you did not enter the program path properly.