Author Topic: please make forum policies visible to new users  (Read 8901 times)

reesd

please make forum policies visible to new users
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
Please send a welcome email, add a sticky, or add something on the profile page about the forum polices including the fact that users can't change their timezone until after 20 posts. Also inform the user what the forum's actual timezone is. Times can be important when troubleshooting an issue (like the recent false positive for unidrv.dll).

Thanks,
dave

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: please make forum policies visible to new users
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Also inform the user what the forum's actual timezone is.

Timezone of the forum is GMT.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
1 the guy already posted that with another username already yesterday... don't know where on the forums

2 the guy registered again, got his thread (screenshot) deleted and got banned...can't you guys ban his IP, and not just his username? thanks ;D

ps: don't know if he was unbanned and if he's using new email addresses to register and then re-use his username.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:42:40 PM by Logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
Thanks Logos, didn't know that, else I wouldn't have replied in the first place.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

reesd

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
1 the guy already posted that with another username already yesterday... don't know where on the forums

I actually didn't post that, I just started a thread to create 20 posts so I could fix it myself. I intentionally kept it all in one thread with the hope of not bugging other users. Apparently I did anyway and I won't repeat it (sorry).

In any case, I think my point is still valid. The idea of locking down a users own profile until after a # posts is pretty unusual. Since its unusual I think it makes sense to let new users know about it rather than having them burn time trying it and then digging through help that doesn't mention its locked down. As I said above, something in the welcome email,  a sticky, or a comment on the profile would all fit the bill.

Thanks,
d

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
1. I intentionally kept it all in one thread with the hope of not bugging other users. Apparently I did anyway and I won't repeat it (sorry).

2. The idea of locking down a users own profile until after a # posts is pretty unusual. Since its unusual I think it makes sense to let new users know about it rather than having them burn time trying it and then digging through help that doesn't mention its locked down. As I said above, something in the welcome email,  a sticky, or a comment on the profile would all fit the bill.

1. Ok. ;)
2. That's a spam-protection, but you're right, it should be told to new users in the welcome mail, imo.
asyn

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
The problem arises because of spammers...many of the features have been locked down, to prevent them from getting any further.

It is more an antispam thing, it attempts to prevent spammers registering for the forum, and editing their profiles to be full of links...if they don't post, then it is hard to keep track of.

For me though the main reason is the blocking of Personal Messages. Since someone needs 20 posts before they can send a PM, spammers cannot register, and start spamming everyone through PM's...

The only problem is that when the do register, they can still post...until they are caught that is...though generally the mods are fairly quick on this.

The issue here is that it may not be easy to selectively block certain things, so it may be all or nothing...

The idea of having this information available easily, would (IMO) lead to users doing what you did and posting things that would be considered spam, just to get post count up.

That thread to get to 20 posts, would be considered spam, and would be deleted as such.

reesd

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
The issue here is that it may not be easy to selectively block certain things, so it may be all or nothing...

The idea of having this information available easily, would (IMO) lead to users doing what you did and posting things that would be considered spam, just to get post count up.

That thread to get to 20 posts, would be considered spam, and would be deleted as such.

I understand that it may not possible to relax the timezone restriction just by itself, but I do think informing users that they can't do certain things until they have hit a minimum post level is just good user support. Since it takes 20 posts I think a spammer would certainly be caught before they get there. I forget the exactly quote, but there is a common refrain in cyber security that obfuscation doesn't create security and in fact makes things worse by creating a false sense of security. Perhaps you could at least let users know about the restrictions without telling them exactly when they are lifted, so they would not waste time trying to do them (like timezone).

Anyway, just my $.02. I'll add the Avast app itself seems to be working pretty well for me, very happy with the move from MSE so far.

d

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
Anyway, just my $.02. I'll add the Avast app itself seems to be working pretty well for me, very happy with the move from MSE so far.

Good. :)
Anyway, you'll see, that it's not that hard to reach 20 posts.
Even, if you post meaningful content instead of 1,2,3... ;)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
And what is learned by this thread?
Don't judge a book by it's cover.  8)
Or, as we have a say in Texas: don't be so damn fast on the trigger.

the guy registered again, got his thread (screenshot) deleted and got banned...can't you guys ban his IP, and not just his username? thanks

7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »

Sure, ZS.
But Logos was also right about the 1,2,3 postings. ;)
So, what we really learned is: Let's talk about it. (Spammers won't do that..!)
asyn

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »

... not again ::) ... not a real fan of systematic pacifism here.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

... not again ::) ... not a real fan of systematic pacifism here.

Ha ha ha... I know, Logos. Just trying to pull your leg.  ::)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
do we really need a new Westerwelle  ??? ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
do we really need a new Westerwelle  ??? ;D

Hey, you're quite good informed... ;D