Author Topic: Random shut down problem [Solved]  (Read 6803 times)

Offline gautam7

Random shut down problem [Solved]
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
Hi friends not sure if its avast problem but i have been experiencing random shut down problem. There is no definite pattern but some time windows doesn't seem able to shut down properly and had to press the power button. My boot up time is not effected its around 81 sec which is normal in my system. Also i have been experiencing some problem when i try to launch a program its taking a bit longer time than usual. Anyone having this kind of problem?

Please advice how to solve this irritating problem......

Thanks in advance

With regards
Gautam    
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:27:41 PM by gautam7 »
Lenovo B40 laptop/ core i3 4010U CPU (1.7 GHz)/ 4.0 GB RAM/500 GB HDD,OS: windows 10 64 bit, Browser: Google Crome/ FF (adblock plus, lastpass,) Security: Avast pro 10, MBAM (free).

DavidCo

Re: Random shut down problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Too many possible reasons
Boot into safe mode and test from there - does it shut down ok

Perhaps start by disabling various app's one at a time
WinPatrol etc

Is it hardware - HDD badly fragmented/full

You really need to be able to rule some things out

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Sometimes you just have to wait.
Very seldom I experience that on a machine.
But usually waiting helps. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline gautam7

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
Boot into safe mode and test from there - does it shut down ok
Ya but the problem is its very random.

Is it hardware - HDD badly fragmented/full
Not a chance i use puran boot time defrag every after 2 or 3 month.

Edit: Now have to try and disabling some program but not sure where to start. Could online armor be the cause? i think i am having this problem after i installed OA.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:11:54 PM by gautam7 »
Lenovo B40 laptop/ core i3 4010U CPU (1.7 GHz)/ 4.0 GB RAM/500 GB HDD,OS: windows 10 64 bit, Browser: Google Crome/ FF (adblock plus, lastpass,) Security: Avast pro 10, MBAM (free).

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
OA has been known to cause problems as has Winpatrol

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
Online Armor has tons of issues. You can use Windows 7 firewall. Its actually very good. There is no real need for a 3rd party firewall with Windows 7.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
OA has been known to cause problems as has Winpatrol

I agree that OA can cause issue's on some system's but iv never known WinPatrol to be a problem but there is always a chance i suppose.
Make sure to do two reboots after uninstalling OA for it to remove all of itself then run ccleaner.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:33:43 PM by craigb »

Dieselman

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Using WinPatrol and OA together is unnecessary since OA has autorun protection and HIPS. Why do people pack on the security I will never understand.

Offline gautam7

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Using WinPatrol and OA together is unnecessary since OA has autorun protection and HIPS. Why do people pack on the security I will never understand.

Actually i don't use the HIPS in OA just the firewall and runsafer for some internet facing program. Also i find it more user friendly than the windows firewall, i tried to setup the win 7 firewall but i find its complicated, OA is much simpler. Moreover i excluded avast and OA from each other so there sould not be any problem, i guess :-\

Never thought winpatrol could be a reason. I really liked this program because it only alerts when it really matters.
May be i should look for a new firewall which plays well with avast. Could anyone suggest different firewall which will be good with avast. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
I agree that windows firewall is rather confusing, especially if your trying to configure outbound.
Have you added the OA exe file application's to the trusted processes in BhS  and exclusions in setting's and the file system shield ?

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
Windows firewall is very easy to use and doesnt need extra resources. Disabling the HIPs in OA is ruining it's leak proof detection. 3rd party firewalls are not needed with the security improvements in Windows 7. There is a guide on Wilders Security for configuring Windows 7 firewall.

Offline gautam7

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestion.

Have you added the OA exe file application's to the trusted processes in BhS  and exclusions in setting's and the file system shield ?

Yes i have excluded the whole OA folder in FSS and oamine.exe process in BhS. Should i do something else. I just done a forum search and it seems like Avast 6.0 have some kind of problem with all the firewall application may be i should wait for next release of avast. The incompatibility problem might get solved in the next release.

I could not find anything regarding winpatrol though can anyone else confirm the incompatibility of winpatrol and avast..

@ Diselman I will give a second try to windows firewall but i am not that confident that i will able to cope with it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:28:25 PM by gautam7 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
I would have added all the exe file's to the BhS or you can uninstall the BhS if you really like OA, i use winpatrol plus and no problems for me.

Dieselman

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
Windows 7 Firewall w/Advanced Security Guide

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
I don't think this has anything to do wiith Avast as i recently had the same problem but with me it was when my machine started up. With me there was a corrupt system file. Check yours through command prompt.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.