Author Topic: 3rd Party Firewalls  (Read 16332 times)

Offline Cast

3rd Party Firewalls
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:53 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a firewall, ive looked at a few(Privatefirewall, Online Armor, Comodo, and few others). Ive used comodos before with there cis but it seems to use a lot of memory to me, and im currently trying private fire wall, so far theres nothing i dont like about it.

Dieselman

Re: 3rd Party Firewalls
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »
There is nothing wrong with Windows Firewall. The problem with most good 3rd party firewall is that they contain a HIPS product which will interfere with Avast's own behavior shield. Windows Firewall has come a long way since XP. Also if your behind a router your even more protected. Comodo,Online Armor,PC Tools and Outpost are all very good 3rd party firewalls. But keep in mind that each one will give you tons of pop ups. If you want to spend your days clicking "Allow" or "Block" try anyone of them. Its your call but there are better ways to make your pc safer other then adding a 3rd party firewall and packing on more processes which consume your ram.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=0809e15cc8eb4b51c410adf076c6f027&t=239750
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:29:53 AM by Dieselman »

Offline Cast

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:34 AM »
well i am behind a firewall on my router, that was another question i had since my friend also said that the default windows firewall should be fine if your behind a router.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:39 AM »
I  recommend ZoneAlarm Free.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

Or

Windows 7 Firewall Control Free.  http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

There are versions for XP, Vista & Windows 7 32bit and Vista & Windows 7 64bit.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
The built in Windows fw and router fw's don't have outbound protection.

Windows 7 Firewall Control Free adds outbound protection to the Windows fw and/or router fw. ;)

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:39:40 AM »
ZA Free is a joke. Ii is no better then Windows XP firewall and worse then Windows Vista/7 firewall. With Windows 7 Firewall set to Advanced I can score a 230/340 on the Comodo CLT test. But with ZA Free I get a 150/340. Also ZA is right down on the bottom of Matousec testing. ZA Pro is good but the free version is horrible. Windows Firewall Control is good but extremely chatty. Out bound protection is over rated and YES Windows Vista/7 Firewall does have outbound protect when properly configured. Even without using a guide to configure it you still get outbound control.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:41:28 AM by Dieselman »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
ZA Free is a joke. Ii is no better then Windows XP firewall and worse then Windows Vista/7 firewall. With Windows 7 Firewall set to Advanced I can score a 230/340 on the Comodo CLT test. But with ZA Free I get a 150/340. Also ZA is right down on the bottom of Matousec testing. ZA Pro is good but the free version is horrible. Windows Firewall Control is good but extremely chatty. Out bound protection is over rated and YES Windows Vista/7 Firewall does have outbound protect when properly configured. Even without using a guide to configure it you still get outbound control.

Matousec tests HIPS, not firewalls.

Just because a fw doesn't have HIPS dosen't make it bad.  The avast! fw in AIS doesn't have HIPS.

ZA Free is the best free fw.

Dieselman

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »
Matousec does not test just HIPS. Its a firewall testing company but in today's age most firewalls have HIPS. Download the Comodo CLT test and give me your test score in a screen shot. I bet its not more then 200. ZA Free was good about 8 years ago.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:12 AM »

That is a very poor example, as much as I'm no fan of ZA it has to be better than the XP firewall as that has zero outbound protection.

When you use daft statements/examples like this it depreciates the rest of your comments, but then you compound it by saying outbound protection is over rated.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same (we see plenty of cases like this in the viruses and worms forum), pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

Connections made from your system, if not challenged by the outbound protection of your firewall are allowed back in unchecked by your firewall.

We see lots of cases of the network shield blocking outbound connections to known malicious sites, so if is wasn't taking up the slack (or that site wasn't currently on the malicious sites list), if you didn't have a firewall with outbound protection security is breached.

Kind of blows a hole in the outbound protection being overrated, tell that to those experiencing this in the viruses and worms forum and see if they agree.

The one thing I do agree with is that ZA free is most certainly not the best free firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:04:10 AM »
The Vista and Win 7 fw's don't really have any worthwhile outbound protection.

When the are properly configured they do have outbound, but you aren't notified, so its worthless, IMO.

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:04 AM »
The Vista and Win 7 fw's don't really have any worthwhile outbound protection.

When the are properly configured they do have outbound, but you aren't notified, so its worthless, IMO.

Not true at all with a little add on. Also what do you need to be notified of? Thats why there are logs. Any good advanced computer uses should have full knowledge of every process and service on his pc.

If something wants out which should be allowed out its already too late. ZA Free CANNOT protect you any better then Windows Visat/7 Firewall. Thats a fact.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:39 AM »
When making a fw recommendation one must consider a person's skill, knowledge and understanding of fw's.

ZA's user friendlyness is a safe recommedation.

Joe S

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
I gave up on ZA free years ago. it turned into bloated up junk. It was a pain to network and constantly had to be tweaked for the network to work. I use Comodo free with no problems.
Joe

Dieselman

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »
When a member asks a question we should provide them with the best answer possible. Recommending an inadequate firewall is NOT a good way to treat our members.

Thats like telling somebody to use ClamWin for a good free av.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 03:26:13 AM »
ZA's user friendlyness is a safe recommedation.
Agree. ZA is user friendly.
I just think there are better ones.
In my personal opinion:
Comodo (Defense+ is HIPS and you should configure it to a comfortable level for you).
Online Armour
OutPost Free Security Suite

The best things in life are free.