Author Topic: Is it Ok to Leave the Avast Sandbox Enabled When Updating Windows Updates?  (Read 7964 times)

Dieselman

Offline MrMaxaMan

Avast has given me a few sandbox alerts whilst installing safe programs. But it has never given me an alert for windows updates.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Yes...already. The auto-sandbox is for "processes". Which are executable. Files being downloaded are inert until opened. Once the file is executable then the auto-sandbox kicks in. Until then the file shield will do the hard lifting. Windows updates are not executable until configured. And will not be sandboxed.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline cheater87

Yes...already. The auto-sandbox is for "processes". Which are executable. Files being downloaded are inert until opened. Once the file is executable then the auto-sandbox kicks in. Until then the file shield will do the hard lifting. Windows updates are not executable until configured. And will not be sandboxed.  :)

What do you mean by configured? Shes afraid if the yellow update shield got trapped in the sandbox and it may not appear again. Last time she had a lot of windows updates and shes afraid if they were sandboxed since they were a lot.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline cheater87

On avast last time for "end now" box thing when shutting down it said something .exe. popped up when restarting the computer right when she installed those updates. is this still OK? also, it was a bit slow when everything was closing.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

QueenPendragon

Piggybacking, because I have a similar thing...my Sandbox is set to ask already. But my Windows updates didn't automatically come up as they usually do. Windows 7 normally has a red x that pops up on the little status flag in your task bar, and the yellow shield on your shutdown icon. I can get the updates without a problem if I open the program...but could Avast have not trusted them?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Windows updates are configured after being downloaded. Then become part of the OS. I don't see how any updates from windows would be sandboxed. I have updated windows with no issues. One thing I want to know is, who is "she"? You might want to try a "repair" with avast. But as far as I know there is no reason for avast to sandbox windows updates. I would suggest a scan with MBAM and SAS. You might want to download Secunia PSI here is the link  http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ Many of us use Secunia PSI to help keep our systems up to date. Secunia PSI will scan all of your system and will assist with keeping software up to date.  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:07:52 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Dch48

Piggybacking, because I have a similar thing...my Sandbox is set to ask already. But my Windows updates didn't automatically come up as they usually do. Windows 7 normally has a red x that pops up on the little status flag in your task bar, and the yellow shield on your shutdown icon. I can get the updates without a problem if I open the program...but could Avast have not trusted them?
Windows Updates have a way of not appearing automatically. Sometimes the yellow shield will not come up for a day or two after patch day even when you have auto updating turned on. This past week, I got the shield on Wednesday and all it was for was the Malware removal tool that had already been run the week before. I think it was because of the program compatibilty update that on my machine was flagged as optional and not critical or even recommended. After searching for the reason why, I found that on XP, the only application affected would be .NET 4.0 which is not installed. I only have up to 3.5.