Author Topic: Auto-update interval ignored  (Read 28117 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Auto-update interval ignored
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 01:59:30 AM »
Just to complete the info provided by DavidR, that setting is for the first update after reboot ONLY and it is independent of the frequency talked about in previous posts (the 240 minutes default one).
<snip>

Which is exactly what BulmaSoft asked about as his preferred option.

<snip>
And when I power on my computer I need it as soon as possible...
So that is probably the worst time for Avast to perform anything! :)
It would be really the best solution for me to have the option to perform the update in after "X" minutes AFTER computer boot...
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »
Yes, David, I understood that before. No contradiction.

My point was about the previous series of posts (from more than one user), talking about the frequency of later updates, and the definitions update method ("auto", "ask, "manual").

The goal of the additional comment was for readers of the topic not to forget about the difference (between the first attempt and the frequency for the rest) and to set the definitions updates to "auto" instead of the previously mentioned "ask" (so to make the nnn seconds delay relevant).

JohnnyBob

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
computer turned on at about 0530 this morning
first avast update notice, that I noticed, at 0924
so that's about a 4-hour interval, which jives with my settings in avast5.ini

[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=14400      {=4 hours}
UpdatePeriod=4320                                         {=3 days}

so the settings appear to be working for me, so far, using the latest version of free avast antivirus

suiker

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »

Unfortunately, avast doesn't have a way to set specific time of the day, or days of the week to allow (or force) updates

Can we get that option in one of the next avast versions or an option avast first checks whether the last update was earlier than the time set in "auto update interval"?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »

Unfortunately, avast doesn't have a way to set specific time of the day, or days of the week to allow (or force) updates

Can we get that option in one of the next avast versions or an option avast first checks whether the last update was earlier than the time set in "auto update interval"?

Why would you need such a feature with the new stream updates..?? ???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JohnnyBob

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

Why would you need such a feature with the new stream updates..?? ???
What are stream updates, how do they work, and why would they be a satisfactory substitute here? I don't have time to research all of these new features added to recent versions, which complicates things considerably, so I just disable everything possible to keep the old standard type of setup which I can easily understand. I could probably read the FAQs or instructions and find out, but I'm too busy with other things. Antivirus is very low on my totem pole. The less time spent with it the better! :) So please enlighten us all with a brief explanation or definition of stream updates, if you have the time. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
They aren't a substitute, they are over an above Auto virus definitions updates. They are released between the regular auto updates, essentially for more important updates that shouldn't wait for the next VPS update. But they will only work if you also have the VPS updates set to Auto.

Stream Updates have been explained in a number of topics.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
What are stream updates, how do they work, and why would they be a satisfactory substitute here?
Small and incremental updates, on-the-fly and over the top of common/regular virus definitions update.
Increase protection against 0-day attacks.

I don't have time to research all of these new features added to recent versions, which complicates things considerably, so I just disable everything possible to keep the old standard type of setup which I can easily understand. I could probably read the FAQs or instructions and find out, but I'm too busy with other things. Antivirus is very low on my totem pole. The less time spent with it the better! :) So please enlighten us all with a brief explanation or definition of stream updates, if you have the time. Thanks.
If you don't have time, let the defaults. Don't mess, you're reduce the recommended protection level.
The best things in life are free.

HawaiianHope

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
OK
So here we are April 2012...  What is the imposed "valid" range for the Auto-update interval ?
Personally, i want it OFF (set to zero) Or, I want to set it to once every 1 day or longer. but  NOOOOO i do not want to tun it to "manual update" because then that stupid alert triangle appears over the avast icon in the system tray and will scare the user and make them think they are not protected, when in fact another and better method is in use.
And since there are so many that cant grasp why a feature is needed and need some type of justification.

1) Auto updates are great, if you want them or need them.  we don’t
2) We set up computers that are "locked down" using Windows Steady State or Faronics Deep Freeze. It is impossible to get a virus to infect the OS beyond a reboot. and at each reboot, any changes the computer experienced (including updates) is completely discarded.
3) All computers are rebooted once a day in a non user interactive mode and a script runs to unlock the computers and perform updates of the OS, antivirus and other software, then relocks the computers and reboots again to normal operations.
4) each update takes bandwidth. some providers are now charging for bandwidth and setting usage limits before they throttle you or charge you additional. If you are FORCING me to do updates at your preference, not my need, then you are forcibly sucking down my usage and costing me more money.
5) As stated above, each day the computers reboot and do updates.  when they reboot, they completely discard all activity that took place on them that previous day. so even if you forced updates on me, they are thrown out and the updates are downloaded all over again in a fully controlled mode.
6) Am fully expecting the arrogant comment of "switch providers" wow, think we have not thought about that ? nothing else is available for some of the connections we have set up. we live on an island and in certain spots there are only certain providers that have a working signal here.
7) One of the providers charges 5 cents per meg on over charges.  How much data does avast exchange on a single update check, even if there are no updates ? 
8) As i think i understand, each time the computer boots Avast checks for updates as well ?  If the computer is rebooted 6 times in the day (which happens), you are doing updates 6 times more than are needed or wanted and costing us 6 times more money.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
You can modify your settings so that you don't get that stupid triangle notification.

This can be done from the avastUI, Settings, Status Bar and uncheck the 'Definitions auto update' option and it won't be monitoring that choice.

If you set the Auto Updates to Manual, then I believe there would be no auto update 'check' on boot.

Generally the auto updates, being incremental shouldn't be very large (measured in KBs not MBs), but your act discarding previous updates would mean they would be larger. Whilst there may be multiple 'checks' that doesn't mean there will be an update available, usually they average twice a day.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
The update check itself is so small that it's pointless to discuss its bandwidth (I'd say 6 times zero is still zero, but I know you'd tell me it cannot really be zero, so I won't).
But as David said, you can configure what features will be monitored by the Status Bar / notification icon - which should solve your problem.

Btw, regarding the "better" method in use... well, enjoy, but the fact that the system is reverted to the previous day's state (even if we assume that no malware will ever be able to exploit it and modify the backup directly) doesn't mean a malware cannot send your private data out in between - which would be a problem both security- and financial-wise (if on that expensive connections you describe).

HawaiianHope

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »
Thanks guys for your feedback and opinion. 
David, That looks like it will work.  have to verify it.

Regarding "so small its pointless"..  yes, that is the opinion most people have about small things.  untill all those small ants and termites eat through all of the wood in your ceiling, floor and walls and your house starts falling down.  then people realize how all that small stuff ads up. 

I guess you have never used those systems I described.  no assumptions necessary, we use it on 900+ computers. Multiple restarts each day.  We are at about a 1% problem rate on the computers and those are almost 100% hardware related.  At a seperate site, we ran an internet cafe and had 15,000 people through the front door in 5 months, the average person there for almsot 3 hours.  That is a LOT of web surfing and internet activity. Not once did i have to send one of our techs over to clean off viruses or junkware. If any potential problem arose, restart the computer and 2 minutes later its perfectly clean again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
At a seperate site, we ran an internet cafe and had 15,000 people through the front door in 5 months, the average person there for almsot 3 hours.
Which antivirus do you use there?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
At a seperate site, we ran an internet cafe and had 15,000 people through the front door in 5 months, the average person there for almsot 3 hours.
Which antivirus do you use there?

Antivirus not needed if rebooting the system resets it to a "clean" state.  :)

Most likely talking about using RestoreIt
Not cheap but does the job. I know it's set up in our Senior Center.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
Antivirus not needed if rebooting the system resets it to a "clean" state.  :)
Sorry Bob. There are tons of rootkits that bypass the freeze/virtualization/snapshoting technology.

I know it's set up in our Senior Center.
And don't you use an antivirus in that machines?