Author Topic: Auto-update interval ignored  (Read 27987 times)

JohnnyBob

Re: Auto-update interval ignored
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I'll try to make a more precise note of autoupdate attempts and will report back here again when I know more. That could take awhile because I don't sit at my computer constantly for 24 hours a day staring at the screen! :)

The best bet would be a log. I looked and found a Setup.log at
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log
which was last modified at about the time of the last update attempt. I'll keep an eye on it as a possible solution.

------------------------

P.S.
Yes, that seems to work. I just did a manual update and it was recorded in the Setup.log mentioned above.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:35:16 PM by JohnnyBob »

Dieselman

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
You would also need to disable hibernation mode.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
I've never hibernated. :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
A possible alternative would be to choose manual updates and not allow auto update. A possible bug not withstanding. If there is bug, the bug should be addressed.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

BulmaSoft

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
So what's the answer here?
Avast has a bug and ignores the end-user in order for them to be SAFE?

I like Avast, but it annoys me to have auto update every 4 hours!
I want it do do it once every two days too.
Can I have it with Avast or no?

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

The default is 240 minutes (every 4 hours after boot). Change the value in settings -> updates, or set it to "ask", or to "manual", according to what you want to achieve.

If you have more questions, please open a "new topic", as this is an old one.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I don't agree that because a topic is a few months old, that's reason to close a thread and force opening a new one. That rule is imposed by moderators at a lot of forums and it only impedes proper discussion IMHO. Some problems continue for 5-10 years (or more) before a solution is found.

As for whether this is a continued problem (bug), I don't know for sure. I have too many other things to do to pay much attention. I looked in the log file mentioned above and didn't find clear information either way. I reboot my computer fairly often, usually every day or so, so there's not much time to test it.

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
@JohnnyBob,

Avast releases new program versions, engine updates and more. BulmaSoft can't say he has the "same" bug / problem, situation. It is MUCH simpler to open a new topic, clearly presenting his particular case with all the relevant information for his particular situation. It is not about some forum rule, but about a practical / pragmatical reason.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Here is may take on the logic of this, given the comment by Igor that he doesn't see there being an upper limit.

How frequently do you reboot as every time you reboot that timing would be reset after avast had done its first update check of that session. So it wouldn't matter what update interval was set if you reboot that interval would effectively start again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
Some problems continue for 5-10 years (or more) before a solution is found.

Wow..!! :o
Any example..???
Never heard of any problem not fixed for 5-10 years...!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

BulmaSoft

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »

The default is 240 minutes (every 4 hours after boot). Change the value in settings -> updates, or set it to "ask", or to "manual", according to what you want to achieve.

If you have more questions, please open a "new topic", as this is an old one.

Explain why Avast continues to perform every four hour automatic update (which I do not allow it to do!) after I clearly typed the value of 10080 (in minutes) or once every 7 days in the Avast's Settings/Updates/Auto-update option!?
This IS a bug in Avast and no one from it's company does not want to address!

Here is my suggestion regarding the matter:
Either fix it so the end-user can have use of this feature (Auto-update interval) either remove it from your antivirus user interface program!

@JohnnyBob,

Avast releases new program versions, engine updates and more. BulmaSoft can't say he has the "same" bug / problem, situation. It is MUCH simpler to open a new topic, clearly presenting his particular case with all the relevant information for his particular situation. It is not about some forum rule, but about a practical / pragmatical reason.

Avast maybe releases new program versions but some bug remains the same! :((
And maybe you all just don't want to hear about it???

JohnnyBob

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
Maybe there's a limit(?) and your 7 days setting is too long(?).

You might try my 3 days (4320 minutes) update interval setting and see if it works for you. I'm not sure. I reboot my computer frequently which resets all timers, and never seem to find the time to test it carefully.

ady4um

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
Maybe there's a limit(?) and your 7 days setting is too long(?).

You might try my 3 days (4320 minutes) update interval setting and see if it works for you. I'm not sure. I reboot my computer frequently which resets all timers, and never seem to find the time to test it carefully.

@BulmaSoft,

The above is the most probable reason. Start by changing 240 minutes to 300. This means:

"Attempt to check if there is a definitions' update available every 5 hours, starting from reboot. If the system is rebooted, the timer starts again from zero."

With that setting, if you don't restart your system for, say, 16 hours, then avast will attempt to verify if there is an update available 3 times (once every 5 hours from your last reboot). If that works, change it again from 300 to 360, save the setting and test again (starting from a reboot after saving the new setting). You get the point.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
I understand but I don't have the free time to run such lengthy tests.

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:50 AM »
Free time? Tests? All you have to do is set a number and use your system as usual. The info about "when" the attempt was performed last time is in avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update -> "last update attempt", and the applied updates are notified over the tray area.

Avast definitions updates are much less than 1MB. You took the time to ask here, but you don't have the "time to test" it? ISTM then that you can live with 240 minutes for updates or whatever you have set it to be.

Funny. Being a simple user of avast, helping for free in my free time, I don't feel I have enough free time to keep posting in this topic (which, the way I see it, it's solved).