Author Topic: thunderbird nntp - how to verify avast is scanning  (Read 8210 times)

sded

Re: thunderbird nntp - how to verify avast is scanning
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
Oh, and remove your email address before posting things, so spammers everywhere won't get acquainted with you.  :)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
 ;D Your name is Dave?

Maybe you are running Avast on a HAL 9000 Computer... "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."  ( <--- clickable link) ;D

Sorry guys - I couldn't resist this one...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:36:40 PM by Steven Gail (aka Zyndstoff) »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

reesd

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
no restart needed here, as soon as subscriptions to groups are done, messages are flowing and get scanned...

Yeah, I had nntp-scanning disabled when creating the feed, so Avast did not pick up the server settings. I enabled nntp in Avast and then had to do a restart of TB to make Avast recognize it... thought it was worth a try.

I was about to say that I had rebooted Thunderbird (many times) and even rebooted windows. Just in case I decided to reboot windows and its now working. However, I did change one other thing though, I turned off SSL for my email in Thunderbird as well (it was on before). I'm not sure which one did it and don't have time right now for another reboot.

I have turned SSL back on for Thunderbird email (I trust gmail's virus scanning more than I trust me remembering to turn SSL back on if I uninstall Avast in the future), so next time I reboot I will see if it keeps working or if I need to turn off SSL for email again.

Thank you for help and suggestions!

PS, For the record I had NNTP scanning turned on the whole time in Avast.

d

reesd

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
What about the settings for mail shield/ssl accounts and main settings/redirects?

"mail shield/ssl" attached in case its helpful. I don't see a "main settings/redirects".

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
go to Avast main settings, troubleshooting section
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:55:13 PM by Logos »

reesd

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »
Oh, and remove your email address before posting things, so spammers everywhere won't get acquainted with you.  :)

It's all over already, thanks to newsgroups and other public stuff. I'm really amazed how well gmail cleans up my spam.

Maybe you are running Avast on a HAL 9000 Computer...

:)