Author Topic: Avast! 6 is messing with my internet  (Read 2485 times)

Reaver

Avast! 6 is messing with my internet
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:33:22 AM »
Hi there.

I have recently installed Avast! 6 Free antivirus on my computer, and almost immediately after my internet access started messing with internet access for most of my programs. To add a few examples, my steam client has lost access to the store and community, as well as the in-game browser, but still has access to the messenger client and downloads/updates. Additionally my Windows Live Mail client cannot download emails for my @live.com.au address, but will download them from my @gmail.com address, but wont allow me to display images.

These are just some of the things it has done (there are many more). I did not change any settings in these programs between installing Avast! and this occurring, and I have looked through the settings in the programs to see if there was anything that could have caused this to happen and couldn't find anything. I have thought about reinstalling these programs but wanted to see if there was anything else I could do first because some of these programs have been in use for many years and accumulated lots of data (my steam folder is 174GB and re-downloading would be a pain).

I am new to these forums but did have a look around and couldn't find anything on this. If there is a thread on this problem on this forum or any other I would be happy to look if you would post a link. Please help if possible.

Thank you in advance,
                                   Reaver

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast! 6 is messing with my internet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
I guess you have version 6.0.1000 ?

have you tried latest pre-release 6.0.1086 ?   maybe the problem is fixed  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76349.0

Offline Cast

Re: Avast! 6 is messing with my internet
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:04 AM »
I also use steam yet i dont have any of those problems mentioned, the videos seem to take longer to load but thats all ive noticed with it, and that could be caused by my firewall.

Have you tried adding the Steam folder to exclusions or disabling the shields to see if its its avast?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:35:05 AM by Castayr »