Author Topic: Avast causes control panel to freeze.  (Read 4827 times)

almeece

Avast causes control panel to freeze.
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
When avast is set to start on login, it causes the explorer (the control pannel) to crash. When I remove avast from startup with msconfig, the control panel no longer crashes when opening at startup. I'm running windows 7.

area51

Re: Avast causes control panel to freeze.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
2 things:
- av/firewall softwares which are installed in your computer.
- what version of avast are you using right now?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
Try from the UI...click settings...click "troubleshooting"...click "load avast services only after other system services have been loaded".  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
Try from the UI...click settings...click "troubleshooting"...click "load avast services only after other system services have been loaded".  :)

I think there should be another solution, users shouldn't have to do this in order to get it running properly..

As area51 asked, Please let us know the other security software installed, the Avast version , the specifications of the computer..

ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »

I think there should be another solution, users shouldn't have to do this in order to get it running properly..

It is a valid operation: that's why it's there in the first place. You can still try to sort things out afterwards, but it gives a hint as where to look for what.

In any case if the PC does not function as it should on boot-up with "funny" symptoms, I would recommend a MBAM scan. Just to make sure.  ::)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »

It is a valid operation: that's why it's there in the first place. You can still try to sort things out afterwards, but it gives a hint as where to look for what.

I'm sorry but how is loading it after system services going to help permanently? I'm just saying, its better to check for other applications (mainly security suites) that may conflict with Avast than to do this.. Also like you said doing a scan with MBAM..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »

I'm sorry but how is loading it after system services going to help permanently?

That's what I'm saying: it is not a real permanent solution - that's why the entry is found in the "Troubleshooting" section.  ;D
But it is a tool for troubleshooting - and doubtlessly a late Avast is better than no Avast, right?  ;)
I'm out of this thread, I don't want to interfere but just give the input to run MBAM.

Have a great weekend!
Cheers
Steven Gail (aka Zyndstoff)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »

I'm sorry but how is loading it after system services going to help permanently?

That's what I'm saying: it is not a real permanent solution - that's why the entry is found in the "Troubleshooting" section.  ;D
But it is a tool for troubleshooting - and doubtlessly a late Avast is better than no Avast, right?  ;)
I'm out of this thread, I don't want to interfere but just give the input to run MBAM.

Have a great weekend!
Cheers
Steven Gail (aka Zyndstoff)

lol ok  ;D thats true, better late than never :P but I still dont understand how running Avast late can help..

But a scan with MBAM should detect if there are any infections that got through Avast..

Enjoy the weekend!

Cheers!

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
I think we should wait for OP comments.... ;D
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
What I was trying to do is to help the OP by finding out what it "isn't" to find out what "is" causing the problem. MBAM is another good option. I agree avast at the get-go is best but better late than never. The OP should give more info. Like other security software they have or ever had in the past. Also if uninstalled how was the software uninstalled?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:57:59 AM »
No worries para-noid.. Like I said in my first post its better to have known more about the OP's pc - SW and HW..