Author Topic: PC Tools Firewall 7 Plus !!!  (Read 12749 times)

SafeSurf

Re: PC Tools Firewall 7 Plus !!!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
I use OA Premium with HIPS and prefer the added protection.  As long as you add the exclusions to Avast and vs, you're OK without the pop-ups.  I've been using OA, but testing other firewalls for years....and sad to say that I was easily hacked into using PCTools FW.  So I'm staying with OA, which is user-friendly for both novice and advanced users.  Even the beta version is stable and the software is very configurable.

Dieselman

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
A router w/NAT keeps hackers out. OA can also be very heavy. It runs about 5 processes adding up to at least 50MB of ram. Do you use Run Safer? I installed OA 5.0 and after 5 minutes I had about 10 pop ups. No thanks. And that was even after running through the security wizard with the "Trust everything" option.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:31:30 AM by Dieselman »

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
@ Dieselman,

I don't know what your set up is based on your Signature.  I also use a NAT router and use Run Safer on a limited basis, but have no problems.  Keep in mind that everyone's system and set up is different, so what may work for you may work differently for me or someone else.  I do have a problem with some people trying to hack from other parts of the world, but they don't get far with me.  ;D ;D ;D

Dieselman

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
My setup...........Very light but effective.

Real Time Protection: Avast Free 6.0.1044 (Highest Settings)
Software Firewall: Windows 7 w/Advanced Security
Hardware Firewall: 2Wire Gateway w/NAT
DNS: ClearCloud
Hardening: Emet 2.0 (Maximum) w/internet facing programs selected
Backup: Paragon & Windows 7
Browser: FF 4.0 w/ABP,BP,LastPass and Browser Protect
On Demand Scanners: MBAM,HMP,SAS
Start Up Monitoring: Autoruns
Process Monitoring: Process Hacker
Disk Cleaner: CCleaner
Updater: Secunia PSI
Zero Day Malware Protection: My Brain
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:02:55 AM by Dieselman »

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just add your set up to your Signature?  That way when you help others they know what you have and can refer to it.  ;)

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
Nah...........Cause then you get a bunch of copy cats who want everything you have. Nothing wrong with my current sig. I see no rules which say your sig must contain your current set up info.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 09:38:02 AM »
I see no rules which say your sig must contain your current set up info.

True, but we like to operate this forum more on common agreement than on hard coded rules.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Dieselman

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »
I see no rules which say your sig must contain your current set up info.

True, but we like to operate this forum more on common agreement than on hard coded rules.  ;D

So I should go along with everyone? Not. I guess if everyone jumps off a bridge I should do the same. Not. Thanks. I posted my set now you all can bookmark it.

umbrapolaris

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »
So I should go along with everyone? Not. I guess if everyone jumps off a bridge I should do the same. Not. Thanks. I posted my set now you all can bookmark it.

hahaha, dieselman. fidel as yourself ^^

street_lethal

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
If you don't like the HIPS features in OA right click the OA icon in the tray and click "disable HIPS features", reboot.

Daris

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »
I am using PC Tools Firewall with Avast 6 ....Spyshelter free and Spywareblaster....on XP Sp3 Computer..."Nothing On Exclusion's List"...Easy fast download and works very well with Avast and Spyshelter....Tried Outpost and did like it, but it was a little heavy for me anyways.....PC Tools I find is very light on resources..Very easy to configure, very light and a small download....works like a charm  Tried comdo twice, tried O.A. tried Private Firewall 3 times tried Filseclab, tried Sygate Tried Outpost twice....nothing against any of the Firewalls I just found PC Tools as my favorite....Also After I downloaded the PC Tools Fireweall I went to my "Services" and Restarted them all to allow them all to run on PC Tools firewall than I started all my Program software and all Updates to my Programs to allow them on the firewall....Computer works like a Charm with this Firewall....Very happy with it.... Just my Opinion
   Cheers!!!! and safe surfing!!!

Saulius

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »
A router w/NAT keeps hackers out. OA can also be very heavy. It runs about 5 processes adding up to at least 50MB of ram. Do you use Run Safer? I installed OA 5.0 and after 5 minutes I had about 10 pop ups. No thanks. And that was even after running through the security wizard with the "Trust everything" option.

I like the HIPS part of Online Armour, that's why I have it, plus it pops up when things attempt to connect all by them selves! I'm used to it since I used to use Spyware Terminator for a decade and I've hence felt I needed something that was a little hands on after that became lame. (I like to watch.) I never run safer only install mode when installing. I'm not sure how much OA is using but I didn't think it was 50MB of RAM, anyway I don't find it really heavy, I've tried many and it was lite in comparison.

BTW when you first install a HIPS program it has to learn (from your Brain) what to trust and the pop ups decrease to the point where it's only the new or strange that pop up for you to Block and for it to remember the action. Yes it is a little hands on, but tolerably so for me and others too, but alas not for everyone such as yourself, which is fair enough.

PC Tools FW wasn't the best, not bad but I found everything from PC Tools add laden and not the best updated or supported. I've never recommended it. I'd stick with OA.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:22:27 AM by Saulius »

nord

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »
As long as the topic is what you're running with Avast:

RTP: Avast Free 6.0.1000 Medium Settings, MalwareBytesPro
OutPost Firewall 2009 (free)
no hardware firewall
DropMyRights with K-Meleon (private mode)
Backup: XXclone
Browser: Gecko rv:1.9.1.19pre, K-Meleon/1.6.0 beta 2
PasswordSafe, PrefBar
On Demand: HitmanPro 3.5, TDSS rootkit, SpyBot S&D, SysClean
Startup Monitoring: Autoruns

Dieselman

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 04:31:09 AM »
As long as the topic is what you're running with Avast:

RTP: Avast Free 6.0.1000 Medium Settings, MalwareBytesPro
OutPost Firewall 2009 (free)
no hardware firewall
DropMyRights with K-Meleon (private mode)
Backup: XXclone
Browser: Gecko rv:1.9.1.19pre, K-Meleon/1.6.0 beta 2
PasswordSafe, PrefBar
On Demand: HitmanPro 3.5, TDSS rootkit, SpyBot S&D, SysClean
Startup Monitoring: Autoruns

No that is not what the topic is. The topic is "PC Tools Firewall".

Dch48

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:33 AM »
I had problems with both PC Tools and OA firewalls with the HIPS parts turned off. What happened was that on the first access of certain apps, (different ones with each firewall which was odd) my system completely froze up and had to be hard rebooted. This only happened if Avast was active. With Avast turned off for the initial access of the same apps, there was no problem and none on subsequent usage with Avast turned back on. With the Comodo firewall without it's HIPS, there were no such problems. My conclusion is that even though you can turn off the HIPS components of OA and PC Tools, they don't really work well without it.