Author Topic: PC Tools Firewall 7 Plus !!!  (Read 12831 times)

SafeSurf

Re: PC Tools Firewall 7 Plus !!!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
Dch48, since you were using Avast and OA, the versions have changed.  Both software now allow more compatibility with other software (Avast is more compatible with OA, and OA is more compatible with Avast).  Users from both forums, and there are many users using both Avast and OA, agree there are less conflicts compared to the previous versions.  I also think that adding both software into exclusions of each is a good idea since both are considered security software and this can avoid potential conflicts should they occur although I've never had any.  I realize everyone's system is different, and that is why I still recommend adding these exclusions and keeping their software up to date.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
I'm reluctant to put anything on the antivirus exclusion list.
What about if any OA file gets infected? Or the folder compromised by malware?
Just thoughts.
The best things in life are free.

Daris

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
PC Tools Firewall Plus ....does not have HIPS

SafeSurf

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:15 AM »
I'm reluctant to put anything on the antivirus exclusion list.
What about if any OA file gets infected? Or the folder compromised by malware?
This is true, but both software (or any with HIPS and behavioral analysis) can potentially have compatibility issues.  Yes, you can disable a shield in either software if you like or lower the protection since both software are customizable.  Both OA and Avast work differently but also have web, keylogger, scripting shields (in addition to others)...again that work differently.  In addition, that is why I layer my protection with other on-demand and resident software that are compatible in testing over the past several years with with Avast and OA.

Avastfan1

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
I have been using PCTFW Plus for a while now. The firewall performs well, is light-weight and works silently.

Can recommend it to everybody!

Dch48

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
They may not call it a HIPS, but it works in the same way so I would say it does.

Dieselman

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »
They may not call it a HIPS, but it works in the same way so I would say it does.

Exactly. PC Tools Firewall has some new type of HIPS. Quieter then other HIPS. Thats why it does so good on the Matousec tests. But keep in mind that PC Tools is not up to date with stuff. They are slow to release new versions.

street_lethal

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
I had problems with both PC Tools and OA firewalls with the HIPS parts turned off. What happened was that on the first access of certain apps, (different ones with each firewall which was odd) my system completely froze up and had to be hard rebooted. This only happened if Avast was active. With Avast turned off for the initial access of the same apps, there was no problem and none on subsequent usage with Avast turned back on. With the Comodo firewall without it's HIPS, there were no such problems. My conclusion is that even though you can turn off the HIPS components of OA and PC Tools, they don't really work well without it.

There's been other threads about the Avast and PC Tools freezing issue and/or broken internet connections. I posted one of the first threads a few months ago and quite a few people had the same issues.

The new version of PC Tools Firewall 7.0.0.123 solves those issues. I switched to Online Armor v4.5 then v5 for a while but had unrelated issues with those. I was getting random oasrv.exe  crashes with OA so I went back to PC Tools Firewall, luckily the new version was out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:32:09 PM by street_lethal »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
I had problems with both PC Tools and OA firewalls with the HIPS parts turned off. What happened was that on the first access of certain apps, (different ones with each firewall which was odd) my system completely froze up and had to be hard rebooted. This only happened if Avast was active. With Avast turned off for the initial access of the same apps, there was no problem and none on subsequent usage with Avast turned back on. With the Comodo firewall without it's HIPS, there were no such problems. My conclusion is that even though you can turn off the HIPS components of OA and PC Tools, they don't really work well without it.

There's been other threads about the Avast and PC Tools freezing issue and/or broken internet connections. I posted one of the first threads a few months ago and quite a few people had the same issues.

The new version of PC Tools Firewall 7.0.0.123 solves those issues. I switched to Online Armor v4.5 then v5 for a while but had unrelated issues with those. I was getting random oasrv.exe  crashes with OA so I went back to PC Tools Firewall, luckily the new version was out.

PC Tools Firewall update already mentioned here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg649740#msg649740

street_lethal

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
PC Tools Firewall update already mentioned here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg649740#msg649740

That's good and I don't care. If I post a response and include relevant info about an updated product that solves an issue somebody is having in that thread I can do so. Now, if somebody mentions a new product in a thread we have to deal with people coming and posting "that's been mentioned already on page 466 of a non stickied thread". Right.  ::) People are here to help people solve issues, if that includes mentioning some other product not playing nice with Avast that has been fixed and we talk about it, that's called...a discussion. I responded to this thread because I recall they're being numerous threads in this section about Avast/PC Tools Firewall Plus issues, some of which I posted in a few months ago. I wanted people to know it's been solved.

You're not really helping the cause by trying to play admin. I hope the real admins realize that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:58:06 PM by street_lethal »

g0dsends

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
is online armor better than comodo ? ???