Author Topic: Some Confusion About Scan Settings?  (Read 2571 times)

Jack 1000

Some Confusion About Scan Settings?
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
Hey All,

In checking my settings, I am a little confused about the action processes.  Some questions first:

1.) What are the default settings for the File Settings in the Sandbox Settings and than selection "Actions" on the right side of the screen?

a.) I have Sandboxing Set to Auto.

b.) For File System Shields I have the following set for actions when a Virus, Pup, or Suspicious Program is found:

1.) Move to Chest if that fails than
2.) Delete, if that fails than No Action.

Now the Help prompt for that screen says that those actions will active only if Automatically Detect Actions During a Scan is checked.  But in the Sandbox setting there is no Auto perform those actions.

2.) Now the contradiction, or what I believe is a contradiction:  If you go to the Full Scan page (or Quick Scan Page Settings) you DO get the option to have the "Automatically perform actions during the scan checked.  In this instance, I have the box unchecked. By having the box unchecked, I have the default of "No Action" set.

So my question is, when a virus, Pup, or suspicious program is found, is Avast going to carry out the actions given in my example #1 or in my example #2?

Note that there are only two things that I have changed from the default:

1.) In Boot Time Scans, I have it move anything found to the chest so I don't have to babysit the thing.  I study the results of the scan and the files in the chest and interpret that data when the scan is done.

2.) I have Sandbox Set to Auto, to just have Avast do it's thing when it finds something suspicious.  As long as Avast is protecting me, that is what's important.

Jack

SafeSurf

Re: Some Confusion About Scan Settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
What are the default settings for the File Settings in the Sandbox Settings and than selection "Actions" on the right side of the screen?
I don't know since I did a Custom Install. 

For File System Shields I have the following set for actions when a Virus, Pup, or Suspicious Program is found:
1.) Move to Chest if that fails than
2.) Delete, if that fails than No Action.
This is the default settings.  You can leave it there...or if you feel more comfortable KNOWING what you are doing, you can set action #1 as "Ask" where it will ask you what to do.  If you do not feel comfortable with this, then leave it as default.  Moving it to the Chest is a safe action if you are unsure.  Once it is deleted...it's gone.

Now the contradiction, or what I believe is a contradiction:  If you go to the Full Scan page (or Quick Scan Page Settings) you DO get the option to have the "Automatically perform actions during the scan checked.  In this instance, I have the box unchecked. By having the box unchecked, I have the default of "No Action" set.

So my question is, when a virus, Pup, or suspicious program is found, is Avast going to carry out the actions given in my example #1 or in my example #2?
Unless you said "yes" to scan for PUP's, I do not believe PUP's will be scanned as you described it above. 

In Boot Time Scans, I have it move anything found to the chest so I don't have to babysit the thing.  I study the results of the scan and the files in the chest and interpret that data when the scan is done.
I think it would be best to not move items to the Chest and I believe not all items can be moved to the Chest as well.  You do not have to babysit your machine, but you can review the log for the results.  The default for this is "Ask" and IMO I would leave it there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
Autosandbox default is "ask". Behavior Shield default is "auto".
Autosandbox settings aren't related to File Shield actions (which default are sent do Chest).

If a malware is detected in an on demand scanning, File Shield will control it (send to Chest).
If you try to run/execute the file, the Autosandbox will act "before" (as it is a part of File Shield).

1.) In Boot Time Scans, I have it move anything found to the chest so I don't have to babysit the thing.  I study the results of the scan and the files in the chest and interpret that data when the scan is done.
Some users use that with very careful do to false positive being moved automatically to Chest...
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
Autosandbox default is "ask". Behavior Shield default is "auto".
Autosandbox settings aren't related to File Shield actions (which default are sent do Chest).

If a malware is detected in an on demand scanning, File Shield will control it (send to Chest).
If you try to run/execute the file, the Autosandbox will act "before" (as it is a part of File Shield).

1.) In Boot Time Scans, I have it move anything found to the chest so I don't have to babysit the thing.  I study the results of the scan and the files in the chest and interpret that data when the scan is done.
Some users use that with very careful do to false positive being moved automatically to Chest...

Thanks. Iin light of the above, I think I am going to change that Boot Time Scan Setting to "Ask."

Jack
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:26:45 PM by Jack 1000 »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
On a side note, if you want to reset to factory defaults, see pic attached ;)