Author Topic: "Malicious URL Detected" -- Is this an advertising ploy by Avast?  (Read 13797 times)

Styler

Re: "Malicious URL Detected" -- Is this an advertising ploy by Avast?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
OK.  I'll check out of here and try it.  I'm alone without my tech today, so I just hope it doesn't do any further damage.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
@ Essexboy I'm wondering if he isn't using 4.8 which if I'm not mistaken is no longer supported. But he did reply he was getting def updates. And the OP has not given any info concerning any other security software. I really doubt his problem is avast related. The OP has not stated if he has scanned using MBAM. I'm out of here since you (Essexboy) know a lot more about malware than all of us combined.

@ Zile  You should start another thread. Click on "New topic".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:22:44 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Styler

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
Hi there, Para-Noid.  (She), me, that is, isn't sure what you mean by 4.8.  I am about to leave and try Essexboy's directions.  For whatever it is worth -- I have a new HP computer with Windows 7 on it.  All my hardware is just about new, and all my software is up-to-date.  The version of Avast is the current one, and has been updated in the last 2 days or so. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
@Zile
That is a dcom exploit blocked by Avast

Download and run dcombobulator from here http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
Hi there, Para-Noid.  (She), me, that is, isn't sure what you mean by 4.8.  I am about to leave and try Essexboy's directions.  For whatever it is worth -- I have a new HP computer with Windows 7 on it.  All my hardware is just about new, and all my software is up-to-date.  The version of Avast is the current one, and has been updated in the last 2 days or so. 
Sorry for the "he". Please follow Essexboy's suggestions. He does know what he's talking about. I didn't think you were using 4.8 (an older version of avast). I just wanted to be sure. Any info concerning any other security software you are using or have ever used will always help in determining the direction we should be looking.

I do wish you the best with your problem.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Styler

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
Thanks.  I'm new on this forum, and, in general, without my tech watching every move I make, pretty inexperienced at fixing things.  I will post my results after trying Essexboy's fix.  Styler -- Sue Tyler

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
Hi Sue, OTS for the initial run will be purely analysis - it will not do anything to your system unless I tell it to.  So you will not see any change after it has run the  first time  

Styler

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
To Essexboy:  I just tried your fix, but Avast won't let me download OTS.  It says it's unsafe.  I tried opening it in the sandbox, but get this message:  Exception EOleSysError in module OTS[1] 00057DE9.  Class not registered.  What now?

Styler

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
To Essexboy:  Also, I have my tech on the line with me, so if I get an answer soon, he can help me with this one.  But, for now, he doesn't know how to proceed past this, either.  He's researching OTS as we speak, so maybe he'll come up with something.

Styler

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
Essexboy -- one more thing.  We disconnected my back-up drive as soon as we realized there was a serious problem.  Is there some reason you would need it connected?  And, is OTS a proprietary software for Avast?  Can you see my system when I use it? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
if you and your tech need some info on OTS there is some here

This is about OTL and older version of the program
http://www.geekstogo.com/2010/05/27/otl-by-oldtimer-a-modern-replacement-for-hijackthis/

If you surf the virus and worms section here in the forum you will see Essexboy using it all the time
Or at the removal section at Geeks2go   http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/37-virus-spyware-malware-removal/

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
Disable the web shield for a few moments whilst you download it..  Avast does get a bit paranoid sometimes .  When sandbox pops up select run normally

No need for the backup drive

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
Maybe even better to disable sandboxing at all for the time you are fixing the problems?  ::)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Styler

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
To Essexboy:  This forum said the log exceeded the maximum allowable length, but I think that there is probably enough in it.  (See above post.)  The item I'm suspicious of is the "plpickle.com" site.  I don't know what this is.  Thanks for your help.

Styler

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »
Essexboy:  Avast would not post the Notepad log.  It's too long.  Is there somewhere else I can send it?  Sue