Author Topic: !! NEW !! - Avast Pre-Release Version 6.0.1086  (Read 93388 times)

jrace

Re: !! NEW !! - Avast Pre-Release Version 6.0.1086
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
There's a little thing in the Free version, I wanted to post that on the last pre, but I somehow forgot.

The "Avast News Service" on the bottom of Summary / current Status page seems to be somewhat outdated. It is still announcing WebRep for the upcoming version 6...  ;D

Can't you feed it with some other news that are really new?

And yes: I know it's not a bug in the program. But if you have something like a "news-feed" it should at least not show something that isn't new anymore - in this case it's even history.  8)

I fully support this statement above!

Otherwise I checked through every function so far and I did find: -nothing to report-
That is the smoothest running "avast!free" ever seen with superb features which you will not find on most paid AV's.
Unbelievable but true!

sded

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »
Right, should be 1086.  Don't know why it is different in this version, but did try twice to do an update instead of a reinstall  from 1086 Pro installed with AIS license to 1086 AIS with firewall.  No such option from installer; just "change" or "uninstall".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:52:37 PM by sded »

Dch48

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
Just two off topic things.

I've been using XP since 2005 and have NEVER seen a blue screen.

Whether the alternative media players are better than WMP when you have all the necessary codecs installed is highly debatable. You can make music sound better with WMP than with any other one I have tried. I have MPC installed but I really only use it when I want to see more information about the file being played, like framerates, bit rates, codecs used, etc. It certainly doesn't play anything any better than WMP 10 or 11 do and the difference in sound quality is very evident.

The color issue is puzzling and as far as I've seen only affects XP Home. I haven't seen a report of the problem by those using XP Pro.

BarryB

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
Avast + Win7 Firewall = No HTTP
This is completely "impossible" by itself.
avast free is an antivirus only and works perfectly with any Windows firewall.
In these cases, the problems is always remains of older antivirus or firewall installed and bad uninstalled.
You need to "clean" your system from other antivirus and firewalls.

I politely disagree. I have installed all three anti virus programs using the default Win7 Firewall enabled and only Avast stops me from accessing web sites! I can uninstall Avast, reboot and install CIS AV or MSE and be able to browse the web. I uninstall either of those, reboot and reinstall Avast and web browsing is blocked. It's the Web Shield part of Avast that is the problem, I turn that off and all is OK, turn it back on and it blocks web browsing again.

I don't post these reports for fun, I'm trying to find out why Avast has suddenly developed this problem for me and by showing other AV products do not cause this problem, it all points to something incompatible with Avast, but I can't find out what. To see if it's my existing setup (Cable Modem with integrated router) I'm going to install my ADSL modem/router and try via ADSL and see if that causes the same problem, then I can at least be sure it's not my Cable/ADSL gear!!

Hermite15

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »

did Redmond provide you with a special version ??? ;D

... jesus, do you just realize what you're saying here, not a bsod on XP in 6 years ::) ... I guess you kept using Win9x until 2005... also because it was so stable ??? :) ... don't get me wrong, I know that XP was a hell of a lot more stable than Win9x, but no bsod in 6 years on XP... heard a few fairy tales but that one... okay :-X

Dch48

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
Avast + Win7 Firewall = No HTTP
This is completely "impossible" by itself.
avast free is an antivirus only and works perfectly with any Windows firewall.
In these cases, the problems is always remains of older antivirus or firewall installed and bad uninstalled.
You need to "clean" your system from other antivirus and firewalls.

I politely disagree. I have installed all three anti virus programs using the default Win7 Firewall enabled and only Avast stops me from accessing web sites! I can uninstall Avast, reboot and install CIS AV or MSE and be able to browse the web. I uninstall either of those, reboot and reinstall Avast and web browsing is blocked. It's the Web Shield part of Avast that is the problem, I turn that off and all is OK, turn it back on and it blocks web browsing again.

I don't post these reports for fun, I'm trying to find out why Avast has suddenly developed this problem for me and by showing other AV products do not cause this problem, it all points to something incompatible with Avast, but I can't find out what. To see if it's my existing setup (Cable Modem with integrated router) I'm going to install my ADSL modem/router and try via ADSL and see if that causes the same problem, then I can at least be sure it's not my Cable/ADSL gear!!
As a past user of CIS, I know that it installs parts of the suite that are not used by the installation options you choose. If you choose just the Firewall, you still get all the elements of the AV but they are not activated. If you choose just the AV, the opposite occurs. I would suggest using the CIS removal tool and maybe even manually searching through your registry and deleting all mentions of Comodo. Uninstalling Comodo very often leaves things behind that may cause problems. There also is a removal tool available for MSE which integrates itself very deeply into the system.

Dch48

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »

... jesus, do you just realize what you're saying here, not a bsod on XP in 6 years ::) ... I guess you kept using Win9x until 2005... also because it was so stable ??? :) ... don't get me wrong, I know that XP was a hell of a lot more stable than Win9x, but no bsod in 6 years on XP... heard a few fairy tales but that one... okay :-X
I know exactly what I'm saying and wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Yes, I was using 98SE until 2005 and did have a few blue screens in 6 years of using it. There have been none with XP and that is a fact.

Hermite15

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »

I know exactly what I'm saying and wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Yes, I was using 98SE until 2005 and did have a few blue screens in 6 years of using it. There have been none with XP and that is a fact.

don't know what you're doing with computers, if you're doing anything at all ::) ... ie never update drivers, leave the system as idle as possible... then may be yes ... MS themselves wouldn't use your statement for an ad ;D

sded

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
Only new thing I have noticed about the firewall so far is the announcement of the acquisition of Opera and Avast! by Microsoft.   ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2011, 12:10:14 AM »
Only new thing I have noticed about the firewall so far is the announcement of the acquisition of Opera and Avast! by Microsoft.   ;D

jesus... that's how they spread the news now... through firewall logs... gotta cancel this "Register UK" newsletter ;D

edit: on a serious note, I don't see that issue here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:14:11 AM by Logos »

Dch48

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2011, 12:14:36 AM »

don't know what you're doing with computers, if you're doing anything at all ::) ... ie never update drivers, leave the system as idle as possible... then may be yes ... MS themselves wouldn't use your statement for an ad ;D
LOL I do everything with my machines. I'm on it for 12 hours a day very frequently. I play games, download with P2P clients, use messenger programs, occasionally visit social sites, edit and convert videos and pictures, and keep everything up to date, just about everything that can be done. I have never had a problem with a driver update either except for rolling back to the older one a few times for performance reasons. I've never had a problem with ANY Windows update either dating back to 1999. I guess I'm just lucky that way.  ;D  XP has been rock solid for me.

sded

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2011, 12:17:48 AM »
Microsoft seems to have regurgitated them back to their original owners again in my system too, although Opera took several minutes to come back.  Some kind of a refresh bug.  But signing is important enough to get it fixed ASAP. Or maybe Microsoft is just "sampling" lots of software to see if they want to buy.  ???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:26:40 AM by sded »

hayc59

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »
@ Dch48..I have used Windows Xp Home or Pro
for many moons also and I have never ever incountered
the BSOD..! Knock on Sillican Valley ;)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »
My Spam Bar is gone in this NEW version i use outlook 2010 i've updated true the GUI , in the previous version it was there. Please help me

Try this:

Tools-TrustCenter-Add-ins-Com Add-ins and select Avast spam.

PS:I also had problems between Micorsot Outlook and AIS 6.0.1086.

Do i need too do this in Office??

You should do this in Microsoft Outlook.

Hermite15

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:38 AM »
@ Dch48..I have used Windows Xp Home or Pro
for many moons also and I have never ever incountered
the BSOD..! Knock on Sillican Valley ;)

oh another blessed one ;D