Author Topic: virus in explorer.exe?  (Read 12363 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: virus in explorer.exe?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:35 AM »
Seems a false positive.
Prevx to detect more get a lot of false positives.

Your submition was to whom? Which site?
Sorry, got it was Avira. Another false positive winner. Or should I say looser? ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:13:31 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

m2mwhite

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 04:23:32 AM »
If you seem to have a virus attached to Internet Explorer, you'll want to get rid of it as soon as possible. In addition to the issues that arise with your Internet browsing, it could be doing significant damage behind the scenes.

- Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool. To do so, click your "Start" menu and open the "Run" dialog. Type "MRT," then press "Enter." This application comes preinstalled with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003. If you cannot run or find the repair tool for whatever reason, you'll have to download a new copy from the link in Resources.
- Click the "Next" button.
- Select "Full Scan." Although this scan takes a bit longer than the default quick scan, it gives a better chance of deleting a virus attached to Internet Explorer.
- Click the "Next" button. Wait for the program to complete its scan of the infected PC.
- Follow the prompts to delete the Internet Explorer virus, along with any others it may have downloaded.
- Click the "Finish" button.
- Restart your computer.

Always remember that antivirus software is very important to have to protect your computer from harmful virus that could damage the system. Whether it's Avast or other antivirus like Norton, AVG, McAfee, etc...

Dieselman

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »
Its explorer.exe. NOT iexplorer.exe. Two different things. By chance archonoffate..............Are you using any sort of patch for themes? Some patches will replace your original explorer.exe for another one. Be sure that explorer.exe is located in C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE.

archonoffate

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »
thank you for your reply but I should have been more specific it isn't internet explorer it is explorer.exe in the C:/windows folder and its appears to be a false positive because though avira said the file was damaged it also said it was clean and prevx shows alot of false positive.... i'm 90% sure its a false positive unless someone has more to add :D

archonoffate

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »
ummm.... Dieselman funny you should mention that I am actually.... ^^;

sorry I'm not sure why I didn't mention this in my op

**update**
yes it is in c/windows along with a backup of the original that the patcher backed up
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:21:58 AM by archonoffate »

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 06:31:04 AM »
Well that's your problem then. Avira and Prevx notice that your explorer.exe is not the original one. Replace it with the original and reboot. See what happens. If you want to patch your OS to install themes then use this tool. I have seen this issue several times before. Prevx and Avira are recognizing this as malware like behavior. But usually when malware hijack's explorer.exe it places it in another directory other then where its suppose to be.

http://deepxw.blogspot.com/

archonoffate

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
thank you for clarifying... about the universal theme patcher though... thats the program I used :D

Djleder

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Did you try deleting temp internet folders?

archonoffate

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »
I use ccleaner and it removes all internet files even the temps... why do you ask?

Djleder

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Never mine then, if you were receiving excessive popups from avast because of your browser softwares executable if may have been a infection in a temp folder. Seems like you solved the problem ;)

EDIT: did not see that it was explorer.exe not iexplorer.exe please disregard what i said
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:25:30 PM by Djleder »

archonoffate

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »
I just have one last question before I let this tread rest in peace... now that I have super antispyware do I need ad-aware and between the 2 which is better?

update
Ive also heard that Spyware Terminator is pretty good to use along with superanispyware...

my current compbo is:
malware bytes (pro), avast, superantispyware
I also have:
ad-aware and spybot running as well

but spybot is on thin ice because I've heard its useless is this true?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:00:07 AM by archonoffate »

Dieselman

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
Ad-Aware and SpyBot are a thing of the past. Hence not needed. Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware are just fine. Dump Ad-Aware.

archonoffate

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »
ok i've noticed their updates are pretty sparse and boot load time of ad-aware bothers me (8+ sec)
maybe im being sentimental ive had it for years lol :P

Dieselman

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Ad-Aware's detection rate is far less then MBAM all day long as well as SAS. Dump it NOW...................LOL.

archonoffate

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
dumped ;)