Author Topic: why can't i delete shield log?  (Read 8469 times)

area51

why can't i delete shield log?
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
not matter if it's the system shield/web shield etc.
i can't delete the logs, in avg i had the option to delete the history of the resident shield,
which made it be very easy to handle.
i can clean logs for scans, but i need this button for the shields, going to application data and removing
all the files from report/logs won't do the trick even after restarting, and yes it does matter to some people like me,
and i think it should be added and itsn't much trouble anyway.

Gargamel360

Re: why can't i delete shield log?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:05:33 AM »
Pretty sure Avast! cleans up after itself pretty well and regularly. 

Out of curiosity, why do you want this?  Do you see it as a privacy issue or something like that? 

area51

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »
Pretty sure Avast! cleans up after itself pretty well and regularly. 

Out of curiosity, why do you want this?  Do you see it as a privacy issue or something like that? 
if u get infected with a virus or even a false positive, and you fix everything, and after a week you want to see that everything is good so you check the logs and then you
find an infected file, which after 10 seconds of asking "why?? where??" you remember that avast found something a week ago.

slybo

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »
Hi area51, I also asked this a while back and feel as you. I found as a work around solution to do this. On the main avast program page in the upper right corner click on settings, go to maintenance, find delete scan logs older than. It is set to 30 days by default. Set to 0, then restart computer. It will clear all logs. Then set back to 30 days, restart computer. It worked for me. The other setting on that page is if you do like a right click scan of a folder, and want to delete that information, the one that says temporary log scans, I think, been a while since I did that one.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
Did you try stopping the shield in question, before attempting to remove the file manually?

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
I am wondering why this is such I an issue. I actually could careless about the logs. I never view them and its not like they are taking up space. Unless you don't want people to see what you have been trying to do and what Avast has been blocking.

area51

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:26:45 AM »
Hi area51, I also asked this a while back and feel as you. I found as a work around solution to do this. On the main avast program page in the upper right corner click on settings, go to maintenance, find delete scan logs older than. It is set to 30 days by default. Set to 0, then restart computer. It will clear all logs. Then set back to 30 days, restart computer. It worked for me. The other setting on that page is if you do like a right click scan of a folder, and want to delete that information, the one that says temporary log scans, I think, been a while since I did that one.
thank you for the helpful solution.

area51

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »
Did you try stopping the shield in question, before attempting to remove the file manually?
yes, and removed the files from application data, nothing works.
what's the problem to add that button? avg did.. so it isn't so unnecessery as people say, some wants it and they got a good reason why.
I am wondering why this is such I an issue. I actually could careless about the logs. I never view them and its not like they are taking up space. Unless you don't want people to see what you have been trying to do and what Avast has been blocking.
dude, you just talk and talk without a point, this is my computer no one got access to it, and the only reason i want to remove the logs is because im obsessive to have order and everything clean and i dont like to see a bad log (which is usually made from FP)- this all computer is in my hands and i can destroy it if i had a reason to do it :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:31:05 AM by area51 »

Dieselman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:15 AM »
Just how are these logs killing your pc? Do you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder?  ::)

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:56:54 AM »
Do you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder?  ::)
Apparently so, by his own admission.  ;D

i want to remove the logs is because im obsessive to have order and everything clean

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:09:18 AM »
Do you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder?  ::)
Apparently so, by his own admission.  ;D

i want to remove the logs is because im obsessive to have order and everything clean

LOL................Sorry not being a jerk but seriously...............The only reason I can see for such a need to delete the logs is he needs to hide what he has been doing.

area51

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
Do you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder?  ::)
Apparently so, by his own admission.  ;D

LOL................Sorry not being a jerk but seriously...............The only reason I can see for such a need to delete the logs is he needs to hide what he has been doing.

not really funny, anyway i just said that i want to take the logs out and the reason is that i dont want to keep logs garbage on my pc, they wont help and they annoy me alot.
yes, this is an obsessive act and seems that im not the only one to do that, even avg got that button, so everyone is wierd but you mr.dieselman?
oh according to gargamel, yes you don't even bother to read what people write so what the heck..
do you think that i got something to hide from myself? i might be obssesive but i dont have double personalities.

oh and btw, example:
surfing on one of the biggest radio station sites in my country, in order to see the song list.
and one day it found a threat under ip.js [SURFING BEHIND A SANDBOXIE ANYWAY!!!] and later on avast said that the update that day was
wrong, so i didnt want to have that on logs because its a FP, with avg i could just delete it.
when i get infected from a file, so ok, i cleaned everything, now i want my logs clear again,
why do i need to see what happened a week ago!? its just make me nervous.
those are the full reasons for me to remove the logs, and honestly itsnt even your buissnes,
but you wanted to know so much so here you go..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:38:56 AM by area51 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 02:28:16 AM »
Well you can always cut out the middle man and don't bother generating a log, the default action is not to generate one. So at some point you decided to generate one.

You can also use the settings, maintenance to reduce the size of logs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

area51

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32:01 AM »
Well you can always cut out the middle man and don't bother generating a log, the default action is not to generate one. So at some point you decided to generate one.

You can also use the settings, maintenance to reduce the size of logs.
no, im talking about shield log, which is in the log page.
i dont want to see it after some days have passed, its unnecessery.
and its set to that by default, by someone gave me a good way how to clear it.
btw i dont want to remove this feature, i need the logs to see data about the infection, i just dont want to it be written for a month, it makes me feel my computer
is infected.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »