Author Topic: gadget behavior in 6.0.1086  (Read 4764 times)

Hermite15

gadget behavior in 6.0.1086
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
gadget >>> not sure that's the expected behavior (as I normally use the collapsed view). When dragging and dropping a folder into the gadget, the "a" avast animation moves just once, and not during the whole scan process ??? Okay you get a scan popup so may be that's why it's been designed like that.

On the other hand, there's hardly any activity seen (just sometimes, rarely...) with this animation to reflect real time shields activity... again, there's the tray icon for that but I wonder why the gadget animation is maintained if it must be as crippled as that. I know, there's been some CPU load issue with that in the beginning, any comment? thx.

Offline DraKuL

Re: gadget behavior in 6.0.1086
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
I didnt know that you can "drag 'n drop" files/folders into the gadget!  ;D Thats really cool!! Just tried it on my AIS 6.0.100 and like you said it only moves once.. So I'm guessing thats how its designed..

Even I hardly see any animation on both the icons - Systray and gadget.. I always thought thats how it was designed..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »

Even I hardly see any animation on both the icons - Systray and gadget.. I always thought thats how it was designed..

systray icon is only supposed to spin with real time shields activity, while the gadget icon just with files dropped ... in the beginning, ie when it was first released, it was with any manual/scheduled scans, but as said there were CPU issues.

Again, anyway when you use the drag and drop, a scan window pops up, makin' the animation (if it was happening) rather useless... or just a glorified explorer scan.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
systray icon is only supposed to spin with real time shields activity, while the gadget icon just with files dropped ... in the beginning, ie when it was first released, it was with any manual/scheduled scans, but as said there were CPU issues.

Again, anyway when you use the drag and drop, a scan window pops up, makin' the animation (if it was happening) rather useless... or just a glorified explorer scan.

Agree about the gadget's animation.. it will be too much then.

About the systray animation, Just realized that its spinning when I access a particular website  ;D pretty cool :D When running a scan it only spins once.. Must be because of the CPU usage.. good that they have done it since most of the users dont have high end cpus :)
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
Yeah, this is by design.

Initially, we wanted to have the ball spin during any activity, but unfortunately, the javascript animation isn't exactly cheap (in terms of CPU cycles) so we figured that if we can't make it consume negligible resources, we will better get rid of it.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dagrev

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
Interesting.  But not sure why anyone would want to do this in the first place.  Isn't it easier to just right click on the item or folder?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Initially, we wanted to have the ball spin during any activity, but unfortunately, the javascript animation isn't exactly cheap (in terms of CPU cycles) so we figured that if we can't make it consume negligible resources, we will better get rid of it.
What is wrong with simple gif animation?

Currently, there is about 18 separate gif files, with the white a separate to the orange amoeba bit separate.
Would it not be easier to have one animated gif to cover that all?

And when there is activity, swap from static to animated? (I suppose this is the main problem - how to do this?)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »

Hi Scott,
I like your animation..!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
Not mine, just the separate gifs from the gadget compounded into one gif...So it is the same as the gadget...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »

It is expensive to render...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
Ahh...we can't win ;D

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »
I dont mind the current setting.. Its decent and not too flashy  8) takes up only a little proc + mem usage so its all good  8)

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
Yeah, this is by design.

Thanks
Vlk

okay that's what I thought you did for a while now (and I agreed, as I reported the CPU loads before the change), but how come that the animation still moves at all, ie "once" as soon as you drop a file on it...?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
okay that's what I thought you did for a while now (and I agreed, as I reported the CPU loads before the change), but how come that the animation still moves at all, ie "once" as soon as you drop a file on it...?

At a guess, an indication that the file has been "sent to be scanned" (if that makes sense). Since the rotation of the logo has always indicated scanning, I would assume that the one rotation indicates that it is scanning.