Author Topic: (Code Emulation) slows down the opening of programs!!  (Read 18602 times)

gentle4ug

Re: (Code Emulation) slows down the opening of programs!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
Update:

A nice tidy removal and fresh installation solved my problems and answered the 2 questions:

Emulation is on by default in the file shield, and yes, caching does work with emulation on.  Every is running quite snappily now with the default settings.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Update:

A nice tidy removal and fresh installation solved my problems and answered the 2 questions:

Emulation is on by default in the file shield, and yes, caching does work with emulation on.  Every is running quite snappily now with the default settings.

I use a fax softwrae called "EssentialFax" and when having Code Emulation on "EssentialFax" takes about 12 seconds to open vs 2 seconds when Code Emulation is off!
http://www.essentialfax.com/

However Build 6.0.1125.0 has seemed to fix the iTunes issue with the slow scrollbar and xrecode II also seems faster now although XMPlay still takes longer to load after closing the player and then opening it again after about 10 minutes or so. However if I close XMPlay and the open it again with in a few minutes then it opens very fast! So I don't think "transient caching" or "Persistent caching" is not working too well with XMPlay.

Infact I am happy to say "almost" all software now starts up like normal except "EssentialFax" with Build 6.0.1125.0.

But for now I will add "EssentialFax" and "XMPlay" to the Exclusions Tab.

I really hope to see (Code Emulation) optimized even more in future builds of Avast so I do noty have to add any programs to the Exclusions Tab  :)

"transient caching" And "Persistent caching" does not seem to have much effect om my computer.

Could someone test "EssentialFax" and "XMPlay" for me please and let me know your results?

I am hoping Vik can fix this in the next build of Avast :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:06:35 PM by gate1975mlm »

gate1975mlm

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
Would it be possible to fix "transient caching" And "Persistent caching" so programs like XMPlay never have to be rescanned again at all?

Since like I said it is clean! So it not have to be scanned after the first time.

But for some reason with the current build of Avast XMPlay keeps getting rescanned even with "transient caching" And "Persistent caching" on. Same for EssentialFax!

I hope this can be fixed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:17:10 PM by gate1975mlm »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
Short answer NO.

Why would you want this anyway ?

Longer answer, it shouldn't be needed as once scanned it would be in the transient cache for the duration, until you either get a new VPS or reboot. Only files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers will be placed in the Persistent cache.

avast - Scan Transient and Persistent caching to speed scanning.
Use transient caching - if transient caching is used, a file that has been scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also, information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next time it is accessed after a system restart. This box is checked by default; if you want files to be scanned every time they are accessed. this box should be unchecked.

Use persistent caching - if persistent caching is used, the information about the scanned file is stored in the permanent memory. This means it is not lost after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates. Consequently, persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist. This box is checked by default; if you want all files to be scanned regardless of their trust status, this box should be unchecked.

So personally I don't believe there is anything to fix. But you have to ensure that your setting a) populate the various caches and b) use them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gate1975mlm

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
Short answer NO.

Why would you want this anyway ?

Longer answer, it shouldn't be needed as once scanned it would be in the transient cache for the duration, until you either get a new VPS or reboot. Only files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers will be placed in the Persistent cache.

avast - Scan Transient and Persistent caching to speed scanning.
Use transient caching - if transient caching is used, a file that has been scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also, information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next time it is accessed after a system restart. This box is checked by default; if you want files to be scanned every time they are accessed. this box should be unchecked.

Use persistent caching - if persistent caching is used, the information about the scanned file is stored in the permanent memory. This means it is not lost after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates. Consequently, persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist. This box is checked by default; if you want all files to be scanned regardless of their trust status, this box should be unchecked.

So personally I don't believe there is anything to fix. But you have to ensure that your setting a) populate the various caches and b) use them.

But as I explained XMPlay and EssentialFax are 100% safe and clean software so why can't Avast relize this and put them in "persistent caching"?

If I report these 2 programs as safe to Avast tech support could they be covered by the avast! whitelist?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:48:31 PM by gate1975mlm »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
If you feel they are 100% safe then add them to the exclusions, but that doesn't stop 100% safe files from being infected.

I don't feel they even come close to qualifying:
persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist.

The avast whitelist is going to be very tight on what is allowed in to the persistent cache or it would become a bloated monster and defeat its purpose.

As I said, what is the problem with them being scanned once per session.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gate1975mlm

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
If you feel they are 100% safe then add them to the exclusions, but that doesn't stop 100% safe files from being infected.

I don't feel they even come close to qualifying:
persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist.

The avast whitelist is going to be very tight on what is allowed in to the persistent cache or it would become a bloated monster and defeat its purpose.

As I said, what is the problem with them being scanned once per session.

By scanned once "per session" do you mean after computer is restarted?

Because "EssentialFax" is being scanned everytime even when I have not restarted my computer.
And "XMPlay" is being scanned again maybe around 5 minutes or so after opening it again after it was closed.

I thought if I don't restart my computer it would not have to be scanned again until the next restart? Or if Avast is updated.

O well I will just use the Exclusions Tab for software that starts up slowly.

No other Antivirus software seem to have this issue.

But overall even with the slow start up of some programs I still like Avast! 6 the best!! :)

Thanks for your info guys :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »
You aren't mentioning files by name (?) but a program/s and they may well have multiple files being run (and how you determine that they are in fact being scanned) they may also have files that are edited, they obviously wouldn't all be catered for.

A crucial thing which may have an impact are your file system shield settings if you have made any changes to the default settings and you don't mention that.