Author Topic: AIS 6.01.1000 cannot be installed with Firewall  (Read 4451 times)

AllanS

AIS 6.01.1000 cannot be installed with Firewall
« on: April 18, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
Hi! I have a older computer (2005) Windows XP SP3 (all recent M$ updates) with AIS 6.01.1000 installed. The first time I installed it the computer would not reboot. During the reboot cycle it starts Win XP and almost immediately does a hard reset and returns to the "Last Good Configuration" screen. I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times (8 times) sometimes using and sometimes not the Avast Uninstall tool. While configured to create a MiniDump, no MiniDump were ever created.

Through the trial and errors it seemed that the NDIS drivers associated with my network interfaces are the source of the problem. I checked to see if my network card had the latest drivers (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE), it didn't. So I updated my drivers, tried one more time to uninstall/reinstall and it failed miserably.

During one of my uninstall/reinstall cycles (after a Last Good Configuration recovery) the NDIS drivers were still loaded in my stack. If I enabled them, the network card would not work at all. It said, Connected, but no traffic would pass. Disabling the drivers (unchecking the check-box in the properties) allowed the network card to start working again.

The only way I've been able to install AIS is to do a custom install and disable the Firewall, which is not what I want. Why is it like this? What can I do to get this working?

Thanks,

-Allan

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: AIS 6.01.1000 cannot be installed with Firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
Try the version from my signature.
Click on the bold, blue AIS to download stable pre-release 6.0.1089.
Please report, if that solved the problem.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:16 AM »
*Fail*  :'(

Via GUI loaded 1091. That worked fine. Rebooted - all OK. Went to Add/Remove to get at "Change" dialog. Added Firewall to the configuration. That worked. Rebooted. During Win XP reboot received hard reset (just as before). Tried booting to "Safe Mode Networking". That failed (same effect - hard reset). Definitely network related.

Restored using "Last Good Configuration". Re-ran "Change" to remove "Firewall". I am up and running, but still no firewall.

Any ideas?

sded

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »
What firewall were you using before AIS?  How did you uninstall it?  What other security software are you using?

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »
Windows firewall (blech). Avast 5 free. Spybot S&D, but tea timer is not enabled.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
S&D is not really an up to date product anymore. I used it a few years ago.
I would recommend to uninstall it. A second good choice is MBAM on-demand scans instead.

Anyway: try a complete installation from scratch.
Uninstall current version.
Download from my signature by clicking on AIS.
Install.
Reboot.

Make sure to have your licence file saved before you do so you can insert that after installation.
Free MBAM Clear

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
Shall I install the license file with the "install" process, or install the license after the system reboots? Or does it make a difference?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
You can insert it after reboot via GUI.
Free MBAM Clear