Author Topic: Suggestion for front-page "Mark as read"  (Read 1781 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Suggestion for front-page "Mark as read"
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
This may simply result from minor international differences in the use of English, but thought I'd throw this out anyway.

On the front (index) page of the forums, down near the bottom-right there's a button (or link, I forget which) "Mark all messages read".  Typically (and I'm sure many others here do the same) I'll click that when I've looked at forums and postings I'm interested in and am about to leave the site, so ones I've skipped aren't still flagged as unread on my next visit.

Since I think of "messages" as PM's and the like, or system messages, would it make sense to change the wording of this button (link?) to "Mark all postings read" or something similar?  Many mail clients also use "messages" to refer to individual emails, and I run into the same minor confusion there.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Suggestion for front-page "Mark as read"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
Even though personally I was not confused at all since I think the relation between the button an the forum-posts is obvious, there might be less brighter minds on their way - so I back this proposal.  ;D

+1
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Suggestion for front-page "Mark as read"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks.  :) Over at Wilders (and several other boards I frequent), the equivalent is labeled "Mark forums read".  Of course, that might be "hard-wired" into whatever board software a given site uses.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent